Big ticket items for productivity

PookieDoodle

Rancher
What big ticket items make you the most productive? For me, it's the auto grabber. It saves me a lot of time and I don't feel burdened by having a large amount of livestock. I just breeze through the pasture showing love to all the cows, pigs, goats and chickens and process their daily gifts to me. I think the auto grabber makes my farm seem more like a ranch because I can expand their grazing area.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Triple Shot Espresso.

The 5,000G you spend on the recipe is totally, 100% worth it. Who wants to be drinking coffee seven times a day? Instead, scull down some Espresso at 6am, 2pm, and 10pm and you're good for the Day. And the Night, I suppose...

Otherwise I'd have to say the Galaxy Hammer. First you have to give up the pinnacle of all things shiny for a Galaxy Sword, and then you have to pay 75,000G at the Adventurer's Guild. Which requires said Guild to be open on arrival. Which it never is. So, definitely big-ticket. But once you have the Hammer, you'll be the boss.

Slay three slimy Serpents in one super slam? Sure.

Destroy so many darned Dust Sprites that the game slows to a dangerously delayed rate? Done.

And last, but in no, nil, nada way last is the Return Scepter.

I probably use it at least seven times a day at least. In fact, I go to bed cradling it in my arms, so that once I've checked the TV and Calendar –

PPNNEEUUGGHH!

– I'm off to my front steps, so I walk back into my house say hello to Maru and give my hat stands a pet –

PPNNEEUUGGHH!

– I'm back on my porch.

Is it more efficient? Maybe slightly.

Is it noisy? Definitely. So noisy Marnie's probably wondering what's wrong with her microwave.

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
Ginger Island and Desert Totems. Why did I have to pay to repair the bus and the boat and then have to pay so much g to actually use them? Shouldn't there at least be a big discount for me? Those totems save time and money in the end!

My productivity maker is the greenhouse. Usually I have atleast 6 iridium's before I get it so literally for me it's the day before the Junimos fix it I am planting 116 or close to it quality fertilized starfruit (until I get my ancient seeds) and use this to get my megabomb run of the skull caverns funded and usually come back with enough iridium to do massive upgrades before the end Of year one

PookieDoodle

Rancher
Ginger Island and Desert Totems. Why did I have to pay to repair the bus and the boat and then have to pay so much g to actually use them? Shouldn't there at least be a big discount for me? Those totems save time and money in the end!
They do! Paying Willy a 1,000g every time you want to hop over an island seems steep. And btw, does this mean that the townspeople....that go to Ginger Island every week, are also paying 1,000g....every week? 🤔

imnvs

Local Legend
First "big ticket" item for productivity is the Stable. Getting that horse is like getting two speed buffs you can mount and dismount. It cuts travel time for getting things done by a lot, increasing the amount you can get done in a day as soon as you get it. The fact that it costs 100 hardwood makes it pretty expensive early game.

Next is the Return Scepter, allowing you to stay out getting things done much later because you can make it home a lot faster now, and being reusable means you're never worrying about the infrastructure/resources needed to have farm totems whenever you want them.

Next are the Desert and and Island Obelisks. It makes it so you don't have to constantly pay to get to those locales and can do it without relying on another's schedule. Additionally, the Island Warp Totems are expensive enough themselves, and if you just save up the more difficult to find resources needed, you can instead put it towards the obelisk, again saving yourself resources in the long run by having a reusable tool rather than a consumable one.

Something I feel I must respond to, though, because while the Greenhouse gives you a big uptick in efficiency for some things, I have to disagree that it's a "big ticket" item. You can get it for a (admittedly diverse and not small) selection of cheap resources in the form of crops. As long as you are paying attention from the beginning and actually plan and work towards it, it is easy to get mid-Fall without any real stress or major cost in the form of cash or resources.

@imnvs I only put it in the big ticket because of the 35k price tag from the community development under the Joja route.....though I understand that not coming instantly to mind I mean what in humane monster does that.

imnvs

Local Legend
@imnvs I only put it in the big ticket because of the 35k price tag from the community development under the Joja route.
Fair. When considered by way of Joja, it basically does have an assigned gold cost that, early game, makes it more expensive than a lot of things, like any building. Still, if we look at a barn, that's just talking about getting the barn. When you look at getting a barn all the way to deluxe, though, you're paying out 43k. Additionally, I am still looking at the obelisks and scepter prices as a comparison for "big ticket", and I'm not sure the Greenhouse's cost is measuring up anymore.

Again, do not get me wrong, because the Greenhouse is super useful and makes some things much more efficient. I completely understand why it came to mind for you. Really, I do. I just don't think of it as "big ticket", that's all.

MissDandy

Farmer
For me it's got to be the Horse Flute. I'm just gonna put a spoiler here incase.

This baby has saved me so much time. I really just get far more done in a day because of it, it was the first thing I bought with my Qi gems. Honestly, I would forget my horse everywhere, lose him in the morning and then have to walk everywhere for the rest of the day. Now that I have it too, I bring my horse to the island on a regular basis. It saves me a lot of frustration. :grin:

Jennita

Farmhand
I'm not sure what to call my "big ticket" item, but I find that Iridium sprinklers are very useful, I plan my fields so I can fit as many of them as needed. I also put them in small "flower and bee house spots" I like to create on my farm. Greenhouse is definitely my favorite building in the game. I like to fill the edges of the planting area with preserve jars, so I can easily make any jelly or pickles.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
I'm not sure what to call my "big ticket" item, but I find that Iridium sprinklers are very useful, I plan my fields so I can fit as many of them as needed. I also put them in small "flower and bee house spots" I like to create on my farm. Greenhouse is definitely my favorite building in the game. I like to fill the edges of the planting area with preserve jars, so I can easily make any jelly or pickles.
I do the same thing in my greenhouse. I love how you can go through the entire process from seed to product in one spot. 🙂

I'd say auto-collectors too since I can't get some of the other stuff on mobile... auto-petter would definitely make the list as well as the stable.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's funny, I've been having a hard time figuring out how to answer this. Hill Myna's answer is close to what I'd say except that I'm just using the Galaxy Sword and not the Hammer yet. Mostly because I perceived the Hammer as not as good, maybe because it might be slower to swing? I need something I can spam with reckless, witless, skillless abandon at the Serpents and all the knee-biters in the Volcano Dungeon, and the other Hammer-like weapons were as slow as their wielder.

Which means I often ended up pretty broke in Harvey's clinic.

But the real reason I don't have a good list of quality time-savers is that one, or at a stretch maybe two, is the limit of what I can keep in my head at one time.

So the Return Sceptre is #1 and mostly only for me. It has the style and panache to match my ineffably garish fashion sense. And amazingly, it sounds even better than it functions and your brain relies on sound to deliver a believably enhanced experience. You may not perceive it consciously, but inside your head the Return Sceptre sound is giving your neurons a full-dendrite massage with organic neurotransmitters.

#2 is any thing you can do to condense a multiple thing into a single thing. The Auto-petter would be in here but by that time in the game, you may be looking for Marnie to take back those horrid time-sucking animals so you can build your rural reptile refuge. Nobody pets reptiles, that's why they lost their fur.

An alternate #2 then is putting a single Keg and Preserves Jar out front of my Shed, acting as the indicator that the stuff inside the Shed is ready to acquire. No need ever to go in unless the Pumpkins and Ancient Fruit are ready, a quick glance while it's on-screen is all you need and if they mature while you're at the Farm, you'll hear the corresponding in-game noise.

Assuming you can tell that it's not the

Tappers
Bait Bins
Looms
Furnaces
Crystallariums

...and so on.

Hill Myna

Farmer
It's funny, I've been having a hard time figuring out how to answer this. Hill Myna's answer is close to what I'd say except that I'm just using the Galaxy Sword and not the Hammer yet. Mostly because I perceived the Hammer as not as good, maybe because it might be slower to swing? I need something I can spam with reckless, witless, skillless abandon at the Serpents and all the knee-biters in the Volcano Dungeon, and the other Hammer-like weapons were as slow as their wielder.

Which means I often ended up pretty broke in Harvey's clinic.
To aid in the longevity of your kneecaps:

Since you've reached the pinnacle of all things sweltering that I o'erheard somebody 'round this parts call the Forge, I thought I'd drop ya a hint or two. To avoid the temptation to wield the Galaxy Hammer like a snail adjusting its eyestalks, lob a few Emeralds on to the point and you'll swing like Roger Federer in no time.

Just make sure you stuff several Cinder Shards in the backpack. And hope it doesn't burn.

My Personal Serpent Crusher Assistant felt the need for 1 Emerald and 2 Rubies, but you know how they are: picky.

Next time you feel the Serpents have started to call the shots, the special move that comes prefabricated will put you back on top; send them hurtling to the Void to chat with your Chickens.

Oh, and Spiders?

They're a non-issue. One correctly executed SHA-BAM! will Sting 'em bad.

But if you don't quite feel like parting with your masterful Galaxy Sword, just keep it as a backup. Just in case things go wrong: Flash Flash Flash, This. Is. What. +. 4. Speed. Feels. Like. Then you can have it both ways.

Which is always preferable.