• Spicy Eel

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Lucky Lunch

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

ISSsloth

Farmer
Hi all!
I've been meaning to shift my farm to be more mining focused, and this would include repurposing a fish pond or two for cooking ingredients. I'm not sure if I should pick sea cucumbers or eels. Which is more valuable for mining, 2 luck or 1 speed?

Lew Zealand

Helper
+3 Luck for Lucky Lunch, just to be clear.

If you're in Skull Cavern for fun, and nowadays that's the only reason I go, Lucky Lunch is much better as I get way more Treasure Rooms and that's the best part of the fun. Getting more ore nodes is very nice but I'm not really there for the ores, more for the gems to be fair because COLOR!

IMO the Lunch is best paired with a fine dry Espresso, whereas the spice of the Eel is complemented best with the refreshing spritz of a light Ginger Ale. It's important for the genteel Farmer to know how to pair complementary flavors and Buffs.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Honestly, i cannot decide. I use either. Although i prefer Lucky Lunch, during the desert festival, which i pair with the chef's Rare Fruit + Rich Marinara AND a ginger ale, on top! (because i always go for 55 score at Gil's evaluation, translating into ~275 floors to descend and lots of treasure rooms).

If i want to go down adventuring, or radioactive ore farming, then Spicy Eel and Ginger Ale suffices to me.

That speed sure is useful though, you can evade nasty serpents and bloody bats, over some nice distance!

ISSsloth

Farmer
+3 Luck for Lucky Lunch, just to be clear.
I didn't count one of the points of luck, since I would get it from either dish.

IMO the Lunch is best paired with a fine dry Espresso, whereas the spice of the Eel is complemented best with the refreshing spritz of a light Ginger Ale. It's important for the genteel Farmer to know how to pair complementary flavors and Buffs.
If that's the case, I'll probably go with the lucky lunch, since I'd rather collect coffee than ginger. Thanks!

I always have a lava eel pond (or seven) and they give spicey eel as a gift periodically, plus the serpents often drop it, so I usually go with that out of convenience. I haven't had any complaints. Keep in mind, I mostly go for combat first and resources second. If I'm making something specifically for it, I usually go with crabcakes and espresso.

Of course, I've also done plenty of early game runs with coffee, berries, no bombs and an ebony blade, so I might just be weird.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Speed trumps all, besides the first couple luck points to override bad daily luck or to give the first boost (since it scales linearly off of a set value dependent on daily luck the first few matter a lot more)

If you're being smart with the way you're descending, that speed is going to matter a whole lot more when it comes to saving time
Not only that, but luck heavily falls off once you're able to reliably use staircases for annoying floors or just to skip down X amount of floors from the get go.
You're also able to get spicy eel continuously from within the cavern, it's super easy to get in bulk with trading ruby, and it's a useful speed buff everywhere, not just in the mines, so you don't always have to rearrange the inventory before and after a mining run.

That being said, if you're going to treasure rooms and don't have a magic rock candy (though you should, the extra luck and speed is absolutely worth it), lucky lunch is still a viable choice, especially if you're cooking it with qi seasoning as then the difference of one luck point is easier to overlook.

I'd say that ever since MRC was added, lucky lunch fell into a weird spot where you can get it faster than MRC, but you get the recipe so so so late naturally, and it's not even a buff you need to use often, so your 1 MRC a week is plenty enough.
At least with 1.6 you can get the recipe faster, albeit at quite the pretty dollar