Better Pets | Dogs, cats and more...

Traviscott

Sodbuster
I think i only don't like one thing about Stardew Valley. Why our pets are really useless in game? It doesn't make sense to have a pet in game. Because we can't do anything with our dog/cat, we only can pet and feed them. Today im going to suggest a couple cool features for pets.

New Pets

Maybe we can have some new pet types. Like a parrot, they can spawn in our house with a cage. It will be a cool feature.

Education

It would be an amazing feature if we can educate our pets. If we can teach them some tricks like jumping, it will be so so so much more fun.

Orders

When we teach a trick to our dog/cat, we can give them some orders just like "follow me, jump, go find worms etc...". If we give "follow me" order, they can follow us around town. It will be amazing.

Special Tricks

Maybe we can teach them some special tricks for them to be helpful about our farm. So, we can call these tricks "special". They're not simple tricks like jumping, fallowing.
I have an idea about this special tricks. Maybe one of them can be like that;
If we teach them the "worm" trick, they can dig the dirt and find somethings for us. It will be helpful for us to find things for donate to museum.

Thirst & Hunger or Energy

We have a water cup for us to feed our dog or cat in our farm, but it really doesn't work. It doesn't matter if we water or not. But maybe if our dog or cat can have stats like "Thirst, Hunger and Love" it will be a cool feature. We can buy some food from Pierre and feed our dog, or put the food in it cup. If we don't feed or pet our dog/cat, it can die or get tired just like farmers. So it can not even walk well, just so so so slowly.

Thanks for reading. This topic is open for more suggestions and changes. I just wanted to give you guys a cool idea. It's in your hands to make this suggestion better and add in game. It will be so much fun to play singleplayer with the better pet system, because we will have a "pet" friend fallowing us all around the town.

Last edited:

Akemisora

Planter
Dying might be too extreme for this game. Even you won't ever die by passing out in the mines, so the latter option might be better.

I like the find worm idea! It can replace the tracker profession. (Tracker is weak compared to Botanist, so CA, please replace it)

And walk with pet should trigger special dialogue with NPCs! Maybe some of them love it or allergic to it.

Traviscott

Sodbuster
Dying might be too extreme for this game. Even you won't ever die by passing out in the mines, so the latter option might be better.

I like the find worm idea! It can replace the tracker profession. (Tracker is weak compared to Botanist, so CA, please replace it)

And walk with pet should trigger special dialogue with NPCs! Maybe some of them love it or allergic to it.
Yes, dying can be really sad for this cute game. So i said "They can get tired just like farmers, they can't even walk" too, so it means they will have energy just like us.
I loved your other ideas too, thanks for support.

ISSsloth

Farmer
Pets aren't useless. In grandpa's evaluation, pet friendship is worth a point, also adding a reason to fill the water bowl. I really like the idea of pets following you and NPCs reacting to them though!

Ereo

Helper
Yes, dying can be really sad for this cute game. So i said "They can get tired just like farmers, they can't even walk" too, so it means they will have energy just like us.
I loved your other ideas too, thanks for support.
Maybe they could be mad just like unfed animals. So if you didn't water the bowl yesterday, the pet won't help you find artifacts and won't follow you onto other maps.