Better hair colour options in character creation

KactusNZ

Cowpoke
Some hair colours are hard to get to come out nice. Particularly blonde, but also some gingers. I was playing around in the character creation the other day and it is impossible to get hair similar to Haley :haley:, Penny :penny:, Sam :sam:, etc. Most of my attempts at blonde just come out this weird grey/yellow mix (it looks ok on some styles but not others). Would love to see a bit of an update to this. Though heaps of respect for having the default starter hair colour be a nice-looking brown, some character creators I've played in have been impossible to get a sensible brown option :marnie:.

Similarly, some pants colours are impossible as the 'lightness' slider does not go light enough, so no white pants etc.

Ellajoy

Rancher
Some hair colours are hard to get to come out nice. Particularly blonde, but also some gingers. I was playing around in the character creation the other day and it is impossible to get hair similar to Haley :haley:, Penny :penny:, Sam :sam:, etc. Most of my attempts at blonde just come out this weird grey/yellow mix (it looks ok on some styles but not others). Would love to see a bit of an update to this. Though heaps of respect for having the default starter hair colour be a nice-looking brown, some character creators I've played in have been impossible to get a sensible brown option :marnie:.

Similarly, some pants colours are impossible as the 'lightness' slider does not go light enough, so no white pants etc.
I agree. My blond hair normally is greenish.

I wanted to cosplay certain characters for Spirit's Eve or Halloween.
Specifically, I attempted to be Haley, Regina George, and Britney Spears. Lol – failed miserably.....

I agree with you that we need more color options for yellow and blonde hair.
It would be nice to have blonde hair such as Haley, Sam, and Pam.

Here's a screenshot that I took. This is how blonde I look. It looks like a dirty blonde or dark blond. –not happy with the result.
Paula_10-4-2021_69121683.png

Lew Zealand

Helper
It is possible to get a good blonde but you need to work with it for a while and I'll bet that it's also very hairstyle (read: shading) dependent. I purposefully made a Bobbi iteration with the biggest blonde hair possible in the game for visibility in level 20-40 in the Mines and late at night and it turned out well.

That is, if you want to look like you grabbed an electric eel while at the hairdresser's. I think I may have deleted that save as it was a tester but I'll see if I can find it. IIRC I also had a neon teal shirt and yellow pants for the same reason.

Ah, now I remember.

I was run out of town for blinding Alex at the beach.

It is possible to get a good blonde, but you need to work with it for a while and I'll bet that it's also very hairstyle (read: shading) dependent. I purposefully made a Bobbi iteration with the biggest blonde hair possible in the game for visibility in level 20-40 in the Mines and late at night and it turned out well.

That is, if you want to look like you grabbed an electric eel while at the hairdresser's. I think I may have deleted that save as it was a tester but I'll see if I can find it. IIRC I also had a neon teal shirt and yellow pants for the same reason.

Ah, now I remember.

I was run out of town for blinding Alex at the beach.
It's true the hairstyle does make some impact. I would love to see see the screenshot if is possible because I am curious how you look like.

Lew Zealand

Helper
It's true the hairstyle does make some impact. I would love to see see the screenshot if is possible because I am curious how you look like.
But of course. I recreated Fluorescent Bobbi because why not?

Bright.png

16 in the top Hair Color slider may need to go to 15 if it looks too green in your preferred hairstyle. When I was messing with the sliders, 16 was slightly brighter overall but 15 was very slightly less green and IMO better. But brightest blonde will be at 16. 17 was slightly brighter again but more clearly greenish. 18 was dimmer and of course too green for blonde, assuming you haven't spent a day in the pool.

And color keying with the bright yellow dress with the exact same color settings will help your eye see the blonde as not having too much green it. A contrasting eye color not being green will help this too, if subtly.

Last edited:
But of course. I recreated Fluorescent Bobbi because why not?

View attachment 6631

16 in the top Hair Color slider may need to go to 15 if it looks too green in your preferred hairstyle. When I was messing with the sliders, 16 was slightly brighter overall but 15 was very slightly less green and IMO better. But brightest blonde will be at 16. 17 was slightly brighter again but more clearly greenish. 18 was dimmer and of course too green for blonde, assuming you haven't spent a day in the pool.

And color keying with the bright yellow dress with the exact same color settings will help your eye see the blonde as not having too much green it. A contrasting eye color not being green will help this too, if subtly.
I greatly appreciate the effort you screenshot that. Yeah, you do look like Marylin Monroe. –that would be great if you cosplay in Marylin Monroe if you are wearing a white dress.
My problem with that it's kinda neon or a little bit green if I want a bright blond.
I agree that I should avoid constraining the green eyes. Plus nice skin tone choice. It looks better with that blond.
I can see why people like me are complaining about not having hair like Haley.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I greatly appreciate the effort you screenshot that. Yeah, you do look like Marylin Monroe. –that would be great if you cosplay in Marylin Monroe if you are wearing a white dress.
My problem with that it's kinda neon or a little bit green if I want a bright blond. I can see why people like me are complaining about not having hair like Haley.
Hmmm, lemme try a few things and I'll start with the hairstyle you have in your screencap above.

I think what we can't get is the careful color grading from yellow to orange we see in Haley's hair extremities. That occurs somewhat IRL but with the single color gradient we're given in-game, the best we can do is approximate that (note how my hair fades to dark yellow, not orangish).

Edit: I get it now. There are only about 5 hairstyles that are well-lit from the back, all the rest are in shadow with only a small specular highlight. We can't have Haley hair. Completely randomly, the Marilyn hair I chose up there is one of those. There are also 2 spiky hairdos vaguely like Sam's with decent brightness and one or 2 more unisex/female ones. All the rest including the one you like, only give a dimly lit color. They're not optimized for light hair colors at all.

Boo! :ghost:

Last edited:
Hmmm, lemme try a few things and I'll start with the hairstyle you have in your screencap above.

I think what we can't get is the careful color grading from yellow to orange we see in Haley's hair extremities. That occurs somewhat IRL but with the single color gradient we're given in-game, the best we can do is approximate that (note how my hair fades to dark yellow, not orangish).
Thanks for your insight. I want to see what the developer thinks about it. I am curious to hear his thought on adding more yellow-blonde colors.

EDIT:
I read your edited posts.
Yes, the spiky 'Sam' hair makes a perfect blonde. –I think about a dragon ball spiky hair cosplay.

Last edited: