Best tackle for being better at fishing?

HappyPenguin

Farmhand
So I'm currently at fishing level 7, and have the iridium rod. I still struggle with many of the harder fish, and am wondering which tackle I should use to make them easier. I am divided between cork and trap bobbers.
I figure all you lovely people who have experience with fishing have some good thoughts/opinions on tackle. (:

Ereo

Helper
I prefer the trap bobber, but some other people prefer the cork bobber.

if you can get perfect catches often, the cork bobber might be better. The trap bobber is useful when the fish escapes from the bar.

why not try out both and see which you like better?

HaleyRocks

Farmer
I can't recommend Trap-Bobber enough! Until late game, it is the one and only tackle i use. Until you get Advanced Iridium Rod, i recommend you have one of those on you, at all times!

HappyPenguin

Farmhand
I can't recommend Trap-Bobber enough! Until late game, it is the one and only tackle i use. Until you get Advanced Iridium Rod, i recommend you have one of those on you, at all times!
Unfortunately, im on console, so no advanced iridium rod for me for quite a while. But thanks for the advice!

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Unfortunately, im on console, so no advanced iridium rod for me for quite a while. But thanks for the advice!
When you max fishing skill and you play at times of the day and season that easier fish are present (i prefer mountain lake and beach ocean, srping + winter), you can consider Treasure Hunter tackle instead! By then, you will have become naturally good at fishing minigame, also!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The trap bobber and cork bobber are the two best bobbers for making harder fish easier

Unless you're trying to perfect catch fish or very specific niche cases, the trap bobber will benefit you more than the cork bobber.

Remember you can also eat fishing buff foods for an increased fishing bar size. While it doesn't make the biggest difference, even trout soup which you can buy at willy's can help for hard fish

Cork bobber is definitely best here, because it means the fish won't escape so quickly while not in the green bar. You can't create the same effect any other way.

But, on top of your trap bobber, you can replicate a similar effect to a cork bobber (ie make the bar a decent amount larger) with a +3 fishing buff from fish stew. It's a ridiculously easy recipe to cook, because you can simply grow the tomatoes, while all the fish ingredients (crayfish, mussel, periwinkle) are caught with crab pots. Those are easily purchased from Willy and can be spammed on the river and the beach to catch what you need. Plus if you set up to do even as little as 30 pots per day, you'll rake in an extra 150 fishing xp power day, which will help you level up faster too.

Two fish stew should be enough to last a whole day; they're easier to make than dish of the sea and they last a lot longer too. Get the recipe by getting Willy up to seven hearts quickly, easiest way is to spam him twice a week with gold star pumpkins

Lew Zealand

Helper
I started with Cork as it seemed simple and best. However with increased difficulty, whether it's the Legends or you just don't like Fishing much, I have been convinced by many that the Trap works best and that does seem to be the case.

However once you eventually get to be an old pro at Fishing, I recommend the Dressed Spinner as I really dislike the waiting part of Fishing. If I'm gonna be sitting next to the water dipping a string tied to a stick into the water, I'd rather nap than wait a half hour for some random Fish to eveeeentuuuuaaaally take a nibble.

I consider the ones that dash in a different direction quickly to be the most difficult fish (like scorpion carp, octopus, super cucumber, and the glacierfish). For those, the Lead Bobber is my favorite on console and Trap Bobber is my favorite on PC.

I find precision stops much more difficult to pull off on console for some reason, and the lead bobber prevents the fishing bar from bouncing, which is what costs me the most loss in the catching bar. On PC, I can generally stop the fishing bar before it bounces, so the slower escape rate of the trap bobber is more helpful (especially if a chest pops up).

Akuriko

Farmhand
as a exspert in fishing you want the trap bobber followed by the cork bobber and followed by the sonar bobber and bait should be wild bait or deluxe bait.