Best fish for the fish pond?

shurpresa

Tiller
So guys, what fishes do you keep in your pond?
I just build my first two and I don´t know what to keep, besides sturgeon for the bundle.

Lava eel for the geodes?
Super cucumber for the iridium ore?
Or the raimbow trout for the small chance of the primastic stone?

ANy ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Daedelonis

Tiller
It all depends what you're going for. Seaweed and green algae are the 2 resources needed to make Fish Ponds so I make at least 7 Fish Ponds with Crab for the Seaweed and 7 Fish Ponds of Crawfish for the Green Algae (normally slimes can drop these). Since I don't like fishing, that's the other way to obtain Seaweed and the beach area past the wooden bridge.

And because I'm going for my diamond farm, I've been loading up on Stonefish Find Ponds for Stone. Although the amount of stone that I get is not enough even with over 50 of them.

I don't think there's a best fish pond but I'd check the wiki to see how often fish ponds generate an item. Mainly their roe into a Preserves Jar will produce caviar which can generate good amount of money in the early game or can be used as a health/energy food for mid to late game, esp. Mining.

I'm lazy honestly - after having octopus to get the omni geodes until I got the prismatic shards I needed, I switched to sturgeons for the caviar, since it sells the best (edit: best for the least amount of effort. You cannot drag me back into those caves to catch another lava eel) and one type of roe means all my preserves jars are on a predictable schedule, and kept it that way.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
First pond: Sturgeon for the caviar for the bundle.

Second through fourth: Flounder, Midnight Carp and Midnight Squid (or Squid, but Midnight Squid produces more/more quickly), the Flounder and Midnight Carp are to fish from and the Squid for the ink, the ingredients needed for Seafoam Pudding. I build up a stock of Seafoam pudding before going fishing for difficult fish.

Fifth through eighth: Lava Eel, Blobfish, Ice Pip, Octopus...
- Lava Eel for Magma Geodes and because its aged roe is worth more than caviar, most expensive in the game
- Blobfish for Pearls and because its aged roe is worth more than caviar, tied for 2nd most expensive in the game
- Ice Pip for Frozen Geodes and Diamonds, and because its aged roe is worth more than caviar, tied for 2nd most expensive in the game
- Octopus for the Omni Geodes

I would skip the Super Cucumber if you're looking for Iridium Ore. I had one in my first farm, and over the course of 4 years of play it produced Iridium Ore literally one time and one time only. I also had a Rainbow Trout pond for Prismatic Shards, and that one never once produced even 1 Prismatic Shard, so I don't recommend that either.

PorkChop

Planter
I usually go for midnight squid so I don't accidentally sell all of them. I also get lots and lots of rainbow trout for the chance of shards.

Akemisora

Planter
Sturgeon and Blobfish are somewhat easy enough to catch and will give you nice cash flow. Lava eel is better in term of profit, but it's tricky to catch.

My favorites are my ice pips but I also love my blobfish, stonefish, and woodskips. I also have sturgeon, rainbow trout, and spookfish.

Here's what they've given besides just roe:
Ice pips- frozen tears, frozen geodes, iron ore, diamond
Blobfish- farm totems, pearl
Woodskips- maple seed, acorn, pinecone, wood, hardwood (I think it's so cute)
Stonefish- copper ore, stone, geodes
Spookfish- treasure chest

None are really best, because it takes a whole 25 tiles, and you'd make better money putting an iridium sprinkler and crops. But if you check the wiki you'll see several fish give interesting fun items including trash! Haha!