Are Dehydrators worth it?

HaleyRocks

Planter
Accodring to the wiki, anything iridium quality placed inside, sells for way less than throwing it in the shipping bin raw. And selling gold quality items raw, makes it slightly worse (a mere 25 coins) than processing them there.

I have 5 wild tree orchards, with 25x mushroom logs each. Which translates into 125 batches of 5x mushrooms each, every 4 days. Of course, a number of them are red mushrooms that cannot be dehydrated and few are of gold quality, unless moss starts to gather. Of course, there are my fruit trees too, my greenhouse full of ancient fruit and a big shed, filled with pots that contain pineapples.

Would it be usefull to build a new shed, containing 137 dehydrators? I already have 8 dehydrators only, placed among some other machinery, in a "generic machines and storage" big shed of mine... What should i do?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Oh absolutely, the dehydrators are easily able to be crafted and process at an absurd rate, around 30x that of kegs.

It means that they're basically unparalleled for early game processing, while they don't raise the worth of items by much, it's still nearly 1.5 for only a single day worth of time (which is almost always more g per day than the tile the crop was growing on as it took far longer than 2.5x that to grow). Not only that, but it makes what goes through it into artisanal goods which is a pretty large boon, as it's multiplicative you get around a 2.1x value with artisan vs the original crop if normal quality, absolutely worth using.

I'd even argue they're worth it lategame, kegs and jars are expensive to set up and you really don't need that much money in a file, why set up 500 kegs when you only need to harvest them what? 10 times for all the money in a save? Just use something like 30 dehydrators and harvest the crops more. Perfection takes long enough for using dehydrators never to be a hindrance, so long as you actively process as you work towards other goals, you'll have more money than you'll need with dehydrators just as you would with kegs or jars.

Accodring to the wiki, anything iridium quality placed inside, sells for way less than throwing it in the shipping bin raw. And selling gold quality items raw, makes it slightly worse (a mere 25 coins) than processing them there.

I have 5 wild tree orchards, with 25x mushroom logs each. Which translates into 125 batches of 5x mushrooms each, every 4 days. Of course, a number of them are red mushrooms that cannot be dehydrated and few are of gold quality, unless moss starts to gather. Of course, there are my fruit trees too, my greenhouse full of ancient fruit and a big shed, filled with pots that contain pineapples.

Would it be usefull to build a new shed, containing 137 dehydrators? I already have 8 dehydrators only, placed among some other machinery, in a "generic machines and storage" big shed of mine... What should i do?
That shed containing 137 dehydrators might be useful for making those blueberries and cranberries which you can get by the bushel if you plant enough of them so much more valuable -- particularly if you choose the Artisan profession.

I'm rather surprised that putting potatoes in a dehydrator doesn't result in Potato Chips :laugh:

HaleyRocks

Planter
That shed containing 137 dehydrators might be useful for making those blueberries and cranberries which you can get by the bushel if you plant enough of them so much more valuable -- particularly if you choose the Artisan profession.

I'm rather surprised that putting potatoes in a dehydrator doesn't result in Potato Chips :laugh:
Wow, i forgot all about these items, thank you for reminding me! Then off i am to constructing it, asap!

MogBeoulve

Farmer

Dried potatoes should result in chuño! Potato chips would be a recipe made with fresh potatoes and oil.