Applications for Modding

Maple

Tiller
Hello! I would like to start on Modding. I have tried creating portraits with Portraiture and would wanna explore!

I'd like to know what kind of applications or programs do you use for each of theses:
-NPC creation (character, dialogues, house)
-Creating buildings
-Cosmetic changes (making the land/debris darker, reshades/recolors, etc)

kdau

Tiller
You'll need three major programs to try everything you're interested in:
  • A graphics program. You may already have one you prefer if you've been creating portraits. If you're interested in other options, Paint.NET, Aseprite and Gimp are all good choices.
  • A text editor. If you want something fast and lightweight on Windows, go with Notepad++. For more features and other platforms, I personally prefer Visual Studio Code these days.
  • A map editor. The only real choice here is Tiled; luckily it's a good one.
If you'll be making altered versions of base game assets, you'll need to have those assets to work with. You can find instructions on that here.

You can create NPCs with just a graphics program and text editor, but that can be a lot to take in when you're just getting started. Miss Coriel's NPC Creator is an app that organizes a lot of the text portion for you with a convenient interface.

Maple

Tiller
You'll need three major programs to try everything you're interested in:
  • A graphics program. You may already have one you prefer if you've been creating portraits. If you're interested in other options, Paint.NET, Aseprite and Gimp are all good choices.
  • A text editor. If you want something fast and lightweight on Windows, go with Notepad++. For more features and other platforms, I personally prefer Visual Studio Code these days.
  • A map editor. The only real choice here is Tiled; luckily it's a good one.
If you'll be making altered versions of base game assets, you'll need to have those assets to work with. You can find instructions on that here.

You can create NPCs with just a graphics program and text editor, but that can be a lot to take in when you're just getting started. Miss Coriel's NPC Creator is an app that organizes a lot of the text portion for you with a convenient interface.
Hi! So far I've been exploring these past few days. I'm currently making mods based on Content Patcher since it looks better. I use Photoshop and notepad++ for such creations. It's a really handful stuff to do hahaha, but nevertheless, it's fun! :D

So far, my question as of the moment is, how do I make all the land (plowable) tilesheets darker or maybe a recolor/reshade?

Thank you btw! :D

Stay safe.

kdau

Tiller
Great, you're already working with all the tools you need for a recolor project. It will be a Content Patcher content pack, specifically one with EditImage patch(es) to each of the tilesheets with tiles you want to recolor. (It's possible to do a single Load patch for each tilesheet instead, but since you're only recoloring certain tiles, EditImage will allow for better compatibility with other mods.) Most of the tilesheets involved will be in the Content/Maps and Content/TerrainFeatures directories. A good, though large, example of a CP world recolor mod to consult is Starblue Valley.