Any other games, like Stardew Valley?

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Have you played any and could you bother recommending?

1) They have to be as addictive, in-depth and high-quality as Stardew!
2) Only for PC (Steam/GOG).
3) Ideally with romance options.

I see lots of people recommend: Fields of Mystria, Coral Island, Sun Haven, Core Keeper, Moonstone Island... But i do not know any of them and wouldn't like to spend money or invest time, without being sure they are going to entertain me in a similar way/vibe! From what i briefly saw though, Fields of Mystria caught my interest a great deal.

Since i am going to reach True perfection a second time in Stardew already and have exprienced everything the game has to give (minus Junimo Kart, GRRRRR!), i would like to take a break in a different world but in a similar style!

Littlewood comes to mind. You play as the amnesiac hero who saved the world and now needs to rebuild. Basically, it's the aftermath of an epic rpg. There are still a couple mysteries left to solve though!

I haven't played it since it was still in early access, but it had a similar vibe to Stardew Valley. My only complaint was the lack of combat and I don't know if that was added later or not.

Instead of just re-building a farm, you rebuild the entire town. You farm, fish, gather resources (five types of wood and five types of ore total), build, design, make friends. Some villagers just show up and ask to join your community, others you meet in the woods or shopping in the city and then they come to visit and stay. You can romance all but one or two villagers after becoming friends with them. They also develop friendships with eath other through some short and swet cutscenes that I enjoyed. It really felt like a growing community.

The villagers have requests for their homes to gain friendship (you can also talk to them, give gifts, hang out, and answer quests to gain friendship) and get gifts at certain points, but I redesigned my village four or five times during early access and was able to meet everyone's requirements each time, so you have plenty of room to be creative.You could also ignore their requests or get the friendships and rewards and then redesign however you like. You even have the opportunity to expand the size of the village a couple times.

Moonlighter is one of my favorites, but there's a lot more combat and more of a town/dungeon crawl cycle to that game. It might not hit the same for you. I also don't know if there's any romance option as I've never tried or looked into it. You build up your shop and improve the town by day, and by night, you fight in the caves to get goods to sell, rescurces to work on the town or use to cut back costs with the blacksmith and/or alchemist, and solve an ancient mystery.

Lew Zealand

Helper

That is an extremely high bar and not because we're all fangirls and boys at this SDV site. SDV is routinely swapping places with Terraria as the most popular widely played game on Steam. The very top, as in: none better. Out of 100,000+ games.

Sooo honestly that means there'll be a bit of compromise with any suggestions.

I see lots of people recommend: Fields of Mystria, Coral Island, Sun Haven, Core Keeper, Moonstone Island... But i do not know any of them and wouldn't like to spend money or invest time, without being sure they are going to entertain me in a similar way/vibe! From what i briefly saw though, Fields of Mystria caught my interest a great deal.

Since i am going to reach True perfection a second time in Stardew already and have exprienced everything the game has to give (minus Junimo Kart, GRRRRR!), i would like to take a break in a different world but in a similar style!
The only game that I've played which had a flavor of Stardew is My Time At Portia but it comes in second place at almost everything, and that adds up. I liked it and finished it (which is pretty unusual for me) and it has a better story than SDV as SDV isn't about any story, really. We make our own stories. My Time at Sandrock is a sequel to MTaP and I'll buy it when it gets to GOG but it's not there yet. It's pretty easy to wait, like I'm doing for Horizon Forbidden West.

Sooo honestly that means there'll be a bit of The only game that I've played which had a flavor of Stardew is My Time At Portia but it comes in second place at almost everything, and that adds up. I liked it and finished it (which is pretty unusual for me) and it has a better story than SDV as SDV isn't about any story, really. We make our own stories. My Time at Sandrock is a sequel to MTaP and I'll buy it when it gets to GOG but it's not there yet. It's pretty easy to wait, like I'm doing for Horizon Forbidden West.
Is My Time at Sandrock the one with the dinsosaurs? I keep feeling like there was a 'P' in the name of that one but I haven't been able to find it since I looked at it once.

Edit: Nevermind. I remembered the word 'pines' was also in the title and found it! It's Paleo Pines. Haven't played it yet but I remember something about it looked good. Sadly, it's not on gog but I can pick it for PS4.

Last edited:

ISSsloth

Farmer
I've only played the demo so far, but I'd recommend Potion Permit.
You play as a chemist making medicines for the residents of a small town with the help of your dog companion. There isn't any farming, but the potion brewing mechanic does a great job filling that gap. The combat is also great, and feels similar in style to stardew's.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Stardew Valley is a tough act to follow. Personally, I am eagerly waiting for the release of Cinnabunny, which is due out next spring. You are a bunny! And you grow or forage ingredients for a bakery. The developer has a game out already, called Bunhouse: you are a bunny running a greenhouse, earning carrots by growing plants.

Of course, the main appeal of these games is that you play as a rabbit. So they may not be your cup of tea. Still, they are super cute and relaxing.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
That is an extremely high bar and not because we're all fangirls and boys at this SDV site. SDV is routinely swapping places with Terraria as the most popular widely played game on Steam. The very top, as in: none better. Out of 100,000+ games.
Yeah this ^

You aren't going to find something as popular, as well made, that fits the niche that stardew's already in, you either have to branch out in your interests to find games of similar quality, or sacrifice on quality or some mechanics

I personally don't even do much in the farming genre besides stardew even though I have thousands upon thousands of hours in it, nothing stratches that itch and I'm not really sick of stardew so if I want to play a farming game I'll just play it

Games I do play and recommend are usually ones within their own niche, I seem to quite like games with as much play freedom and upgrading as possible, I love terraria, had a thrill out of necesse this summer that I haven't had in a while, and corekeeper is similar to both and great in it's own right

One thing I will say is that fields of mistria is probably the closest thing you'll get to stardew without it being a cashgrab or having no development currently. haven't personally played but I've watched content and it seems fun enough, not personally my cup of tea (which is more about minmax and challenges), but it does satisfy the dialogue and a lot of the casual appeal of stardew which is the biggest thing the game offers for many.

Rhiannon

Farmer

As everyone has said: SDV is a very tough act to follow. It has all of your requirements listed.

Of the games you mentioned, I've played Sun Haven for a bit but I don't like it's art style, particularly the need to make the females' upper body parts big.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kynseed. Kynseed has been compared heavily to Stardew Valley. I have two playthroughs on my channel if you'd like to check it out first. I started a second one because they did a HUGE update that changed a lot of things and a restart was recommended. Kynseed meets your three requirements quite well.

duckinrat

Greenhorn
There are not many games on PC of this kind. Go grab a phone (iOS apple arcade, Sneaky Sasquatch, very good game) or a Nintendo Switch (Animal Crossing: New Horizons in some way even better than SW). Nintendo 3DS or similar will work too with Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Neither of these games have romance stuff but they fell as complete as Stardew Valley does even without it.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
As everyone has said: SDV is a very tough act to follow. It has all of your requirements listed.

Of the games you mentioned, I've played Sun Haven for a bit but I don't like it's art style, particularly the need to make the females' upper body parts big.

I haven't seen anyone mention Kynseed. Kynseed has been compared heavily to Stardew Valley. I have two playthroughs on my channel if you'd like to check it out first. I started a second one because they did a HUGE update that changed a lot of things and a restart was recommended. Kynseed meets your three requirements quite well.
I've only heard of Kynseed tangentially so I'll definitely check out some of your videos, it seems quite like something I'd enjoy just off of the steam page

Johndeere756

Planter
I enjoy My Time in Portia, but it is a little buggy. I thought the storyline with the npc Ginger was very interesting . It seemed very fast paced to me, but I eventually got the hang of it. It probably reminded me more of Stardew valley than any other game besides Coral Island.

Akuriko

Farmhand
now now now, star dew valley is the best, back in my day the SNES ruled the roost, and harvest moon came out, I tried and played them all, I keep going back to a few but most of them were not that very good, I keep looking at fields of misteria and coral island but I keep putting it off and I keep going back and playing sdv, but I have put in hundreds of hours in story of seasons friend of mineral town, harvest moon light of hope, harvest moon one world and harvest moon winds of anthos, story of seasons pioneers of olive town. story of season ds, harvest moon friends and more friends on the gba, harvest moon back to nature ps1, the list goes on and on, lol

Lew Zealand

Helper
now now now, star dew valley is the best, back in my day the SNES ruled the roost, and harvest moon came out, I tried and played them all, I keep going back to a few but most of them were not that very good, I keep looking at fields of misteria and coral island but I keep putting it off and I keep going back and playing sdv, but I have put in hundreds of hours in story of seasons friend of mineral town, harvest moon light of hope, harvest moon one world and harvest moon winds of anthos, story of seasons pioneers of olive town. story of season ds, harvest moon friends and more friends on the gba, harvest moon back to nature ps1, the list goes on and on, lol
Stardew Valley likely wouldn't exist if not for the Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons games on Nintendo and some of those are great, though after ownership of the IP changed some perceived a falloff in quality. But HaleyRocks was looking for PC games from Steam or GOG and unfortunately none of these have been ported to PC (Edit: one! see below).

Which seems crazy? I'd try out the lot if they were available but maybe we're too small of a niche? I mean Stardew's only sold about 30 Million copies. Super tiny fanbase, who's gonna recode an existing game and sell it for like $£€9.99 to millions of people.

Heh, I mean, lol, that ain't exactly Iridium Starfruit Wine kinda money now is it??

Seriously those games would print money. WTH?

OK one has been released on PC: Story of Seasons - A Wonderful Life. For $40. Butbut it's on sale for $20 right now so.... still $5 more than SDV at full price. Reviews are generally good (78% positive) but it's not the original game and some old time players say it doesn't retain the charm of the original but who knows, that could just be rose-colored glasses. $20 is almost OK for a remaster but honestly I'd love to see a review or 5 from people who play Stardew (and Portia!) to see how it compares.

Akuriko

Farmhand
AWL isnt a bad game remastered, the switch versions like $20 the steam is double and I don't like double the price, as for the others its cheaper most of the time on console then steam, gog can be cheaper it just depends,.