Any movie recs for the spooky season?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I'm collecting recs from my friends and I thought I'd ask here as well! What are your favorite movies to watch around Halloween and what are some spooky films you recommend?

I'm a big sci-fi horror fan but not so much a slashers fan, but I got some good recs from my friends so I'm gonna finally try out a lot of slashers i've missed

Njin

Planter
I think my #1 recommend would be Cabin in the Woods if you've never seen it . Another 25 or so movies come to mind but I'm curious to see if others rec them, Instead I'll just say my all time fav horror movie would have to be The People Under the Stairs, I watched as a kid and it probably ranks high for me because of nostalgia but it was also the first movie and really only movie that made me feel scared to watch it. It was so exciting, unusual and creepy It just burned in my memory. I think it went unnoticed, but It Is for sure under rated and crazy entertaining for 1991.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Evil Dead mixes some slasher and horror with absurd comedy elements and some intentionally ridiculous visuals. Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness doubled down on the absurd comedy while reducing the horror/slasher from the genre merely to the setting.

Fun fact: do not watch Army of Darkness, having not seen any Evil Deads, after a plane flight and seafood dinner in a new city while still hung over from the night before. You will be convinced it's the worst movie ever made and only following the preponderance of internet opinion will you reconsider decades later to watch and ruefully realize that context is very important for life experiences.

Last edited:
I am big fan of the scream franchise but I would recommend any of the classic slashers (Halloween, Friday the Thirteenth, Nightmare on Elm Street etc).

Odin

Staff member
I can't recommend any horror, but Coco is really great and focused on Day of the Dead celebrations which is November 2nd this year, it definitely fits the theme of this time of year. And last year I finally got around to watching The Addams Family which was a lot of fun!

Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline are my favorites year after year.
A couple that are offbeat eerie sci fi, oddly similar, not horror but still a little scary:
Perfect Sense (illness makes everyone lose taste, smell, hearing, vision so people must find new way to live, with also a romance).
Embers (same but everyone loses their memory).