Animal stuff (basic noob math)

Anthonygood

Farmhand
I want to talk about the animals. I know people say they are the worst in terms of profit. I think in terms of gold per say, they are competitive but they do take a lot of work by waking up and playing the day out everyday. They also have a rough start up fee.

Animals make good gold early game and year 1 but as you are trying to go for profit, animals do get beaten by wine, crystaluim, casks and crops.

Animals are all about gold per day. Even with the 50 gold you pay for fodder, their gold is not bad. The space and energy (time playing the game) is the main problem. There is not enough space to have 4000 pigs or chickens. And waking up every day to grab the goods and slam them in their makers and distillers is what make people complain about most.

I think the 3 most profitable animals are chicken cow and pig. Duck is very painful because you want it's eggs not the feathers. Goat is not too bad but a little slower and less profitable I think. Sheep and rabbit make wool and wool is not very competitive in pure profit or gold per day.

Any ways here is my take on some of the animals.

So chickens. They are cheap and mostly efficient but require work. Chickens sell eggs that can be mayo. Mayo sells for 190 or 285 gold star with out perks. It goes up to 266 or 390 gold star with artisan perk. Now assuming you minus the 50 gold per hay per day that is 216 gold or 340 gold per day. If you save up your mayo's for 7 days in a row that is 1512 gold normal with artisan perk or 2380 gold star with artisan perk.

A chicken only needs 4 days of mayo to pay for it self.

Overall chicken is good early game and can be decent late game but if you want profit then pigs are the best. And so is wine.

Cows are ok too. Their cheese is so dang good for energy. The base cheese is 230 or 345 with gold star. With artisan perk it is 322 or 483 with gold star.

In 7 days you will make 2254 with basic cheese and artisan. Or 3381 with gold star and artisan perk every 7 days or 1 week.

Also got to minus 50 gold per day of feed or 350 gold from the cheese total per week. 3031 is the grand total of gold star cheese with artisan you get per week.

A cow will need 4 days of milk to cheese to pay for itself.

So cows and chickens are not as bad as people make them out to be. They are a good side income or if you want to mass them you can. But yes, in terms of "space" wine is better because it takes 1 square unit. And you can get like 4000 kegs in this game. Can't stuff 4000 chickens or cows in this game. You only need basic cooperation and barn to use cows and chickens but yea they require a bit of gold to start up. Useful for community center bundle though.

I find goat duck sheep to be not as useful. Goats can be decent but ducks need eggs or you lose out on money a lot. Also sheep and rabbit wool is not that great. I haven't really tried to do the math but I think it's something like 1300 gold in 6 days or 1900 gold in 9 days and assuming you don't get 2 cloths from 1 wool.

Pigs. I like pigs. Pigs make MAD money but they are such a fat investment.

A pig truffle iridium star is 1250. That is with botanist perk. And that is per day.

Pigs cost 16.000 gold. So you would need to harvest 13 truffles or 13 days if you get 1 per day to make back your money. After that it is all pure profit.

Pigs are decent but they take up a lot of space. So maybe they are good if you have the money to burn / invest to make more money.

Animals are not too bad. But they have a lot of problems. Not enough space, and requires a lot of work to set up and get maximum value.

Also animals require you to visit marine once in awhile to resupply on hay. And we know how good Marnie is at being at the register.

What's equally bad is paying for the silo and barn / cooper upgrades. That's a lot of pressure investment money.

And then paying 25k for auto grabbers. Ouch.

Animals are ok money but they are not the best profit you can get. They have good energy and are fun as well as useful for community center.

Animals can be a max profit if you use a stardew addon model to increase your farm map size by 1000% or a plus map. Then you can have like 40 barns worth of pigs. If you can stomach managing them and building the investments then yea you would start to profit.

Still, wine and crops are better money making because of space, time energy, efficiency, cheap start up, and great sell values.

Animals are inferior if you are trying to max profit, mainly on a small map and the start up is painful in terms of wood and stone costs.

Someone else feel free to chime in about animals. I am pretty tired and lazy and I am not an expert. Just doing some basic math and stuff.

Thanks all and be well.

Cptldsilver

Planter
I would say that animals are more forgiving than other options. They wont die as the season changes and they dont require energy from watering. They may not be the best option for the experienced player but are a good option for someone new to the game and dont understand all the mechanics.

Boo1972

Farmer
Hey, what’s a farm without animals? Although, I plan on reducing my numbers pretty soon. And I don’t have that many to begin with. Part of the reason I keep them is you can’t easily get animal products without them. Pierre’s sells flour and oil but no cheese or cloth.

Peggy77

Sodbuster
Hey, what’s a farm without animals? Although, I plan on reducing my numbers pretty soon. And I don’t have that many to begin with. Part of the reason I keep them is you can’t easily get animal products without them. Pierre’s sells flour and oil but no cheese or cloth.
I know! I hate that we can't buy mayo, eggs, milk or cheese. I only get animals for the CC bundles then I keep them only long enough to stock up on eggs, milk, mayo, cheese and truffles then I sell mine off.

Yes, truffles are a great way to earn gold but I hate the time I have to spend with the animals in order to keep them happy. I much prefer crops, fishing and mining.

Septima

Farmhand
Personally, I absolutely love the animals in the game, and taking care of them every day is super fun for me. I suppose there are two+ ways of going about playing SDV - one is for profit and being the most efficient farmer you can, which would be wisely investing into different types of profits (early game animals, late game wine, etc). Or you can just do whatever that, as long as it makes money, still lets you play the game without financially plateauing. Both are totally viable, but I guess to me, I just like the animals enough to not care if they are, in the long run, worth less than a bunch of kegs (those cute cow faces are priceless, anyhow).