1.6 Update Animal Profitability in 1.6?

Malymin

Cowpoke
Has anyone done the math yet for how 1.6's various buffs affect animal profits? Because, off the top of my head, the big changes are...

Every Animal Except Pigs:
Golden Animal cracker makes non-pigs to produce 2 items per harvesting.

Wool-Bearing Animals:
Iridium wool went from having a 50% chance to create 2 cloth to a 100% chance.
Gold wool went from having a 25% chance to create 2 cloth to a 50% chance.
Silver wool went from having a 10% chance to create 2 cloth to a 15% chance.

Dinosaurs:
Treasure Appraisal Guide power making Dinosaur Eggs become more profitable than Dinosaur Mayonnaise in most circumstances.

But I'm not very good at profit analysis stuff. I'm especially wondering how golden animal crackers + the loom buff affect sheep's profits, in both the Artisan and Shepherd professions.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
I haven't done the math, but I enjoy ranching a lot. The crackers allow for more production all the time, so making cloth is fantastic.
If you have the artisan perk, even Dino Mayo is plenty profitable as well as the constant make of cloth. It takes a bit to get going, but once you do, you'll be rolling in the money in no time.

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
I know they haven’t lost profit and with the added helpers like animal cookies I think it is slowly creeping up there with growing crops in terms of profits. I think artisan will still bring most profit, but I’m a lazy farmer and hate processing so if I have lots of animals I just go rancher and throw it in the bin as is, making sure to save some for CC, cooking or making clothes and iridium for the fair display.

Even if ancient fruit and star fruit wine still out profit they get boring, animals are adorable and fun. I’ll take a little cut in profits for that.

Last edited:

Malymin

Cowpoke
I haven't done the math, but I enjoy ranching a lot. The crackers allow for more production all the time, so making cloth is fantastic.
If you have the artisan perk, even Dino Mayo is plenty profitable as well as the constant make of cloth. It takes a bit to get going, but once you do, you'll be rolling in the money in no time.
Do you go with Rancher/Shepherd or Artisan when sheep ranching?

Also, funny thing, even with Artisan!

Dino Mayonnaise sells for 800g with no profession boost, for 960g with Rancher, and for 1120g with Artisan, right?

With the Treasure Appraisal Guide, Dinosaur Eggs sell for 1050g at basic quality, 1311g at silver, 1575g at gold, and finally 2100g at iridium quality.

This means that "quality" Dinosaur Eggs become more profitable to just plop directly into the shipping bin!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
A rough breakdown of it is:
Every animal but pigs can potentially be 2x better with crackers,

Dinos are usable but still not amazing (going from the worst coop animal in the game to the... second worst)

Sheep are now more of an option than ever before and honestly pretty viable if you don't want to bother with managing truffles all the time, they will still lose out to golden chickens per tile though which is the metric that matters for lategame animal cash.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
Do you go with Rancher/Shepherd or Artisan when sheep ranching?

Also, funny thing, even with Artisan!

Dino Mayonnaise sells for 800g with no profession boost, for 960g with Rancher, and for 1120g with Artisan, right?

With the Treasure Appraisal Guide, Dinosaur Eggs sell for 1050g at basic quality, 1311g at silver, 1575g at gold, and finally 2100g at iridium quality.

This means that "quality" Dinosaur Eggs become more profitable to just plop directly into the shipping bin!
I start Rancher at first just to get my animals super happy, then switch to Artisan later.

Malymin

Cowpoke
A rough breakdown of it is:
Every animal but pigs can potentially be 2x better with crackers,

Dinos are usable but still not amazing (going from the worst coop animal in the game to the... second worst)

Sheep are now more of an option than ever before and honestly pretty viable if you don't want to bother with managing truffles all the time, they will still lose out to golden chickens per tile though which is the metric that matters for lategame animal cash.
Yea, I noticed that unless their eggs are iridium quality they're still less profitable per week than duck mayo. Any buff is better than no buff, though.

How do sheep compare to pigs now? At this point a sheep can produce two wool every day, and potentially even more cloth.

Also I don't really count golden chickens, considering that you literally can't even own one (outside of cheating) unless you already have the Gold Clock.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yea, I noticed that unless their eggs are iridium quality they're still less profitable per week than duck mayo. Any buff is better than no buff, though.

How do sheep compare to pigs now? At this point a sheep can produce two wool every day, and potentially even more cloth.

Also I don't really count golden chickens, considering that you literally can't even own one (outside of cheating) unless you already have the Gold Clock.
Technically in 1.6 you could have used waivers for the clock percentages then wanted it later on but that’s away from the point. There isn’t much use in using animals as your perfection money source either, you really don’t need that much cash and something far simpler like a small winery will get you the cash with way enough time to spare.

Sheep are close to pig profit though still a bit behind maintained pigs, however the nice thing about them is all they require is minor processing every so often and not the constant maintenance pigs need to remain as profitable as possible

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
Technically in 1.6 you could have used waivers for the clock percentages then wanted it later on but that’s away from the point. There isn’t much use in using animals as your perfection money source either, you really don’t need that much cash and something far simpler like a small winery will get you the cash with way enough time to spare.

Sheep are close to pig profit though still a bit behind maintained pigs, however the nice thing about them is all they require is minor processing every so often and not the constant maintenance pigs need to remain as profitable as possible
Pretty much! I still need to get golden chickens. I've no idea how lmao.

I actually replaced several of my goats with sheep. Normally I only keep like 2 cows and a ton of goats in one barn, but I replaced four of my goats with sheep.

Another note? While truffles are still heckin profitable, especially once they're constantly iridium quality from the foraging perk, you don't have pigs in winter, so that's an entire season of nothing from them whereas sheep still keep doin' their thing. I'd almost call em equal at that point, but I'd have to do the math.