Allow multiplayer marriage to follow regular path

jlowe258

Greenhorn
My wife is rather(playfully) upset that she can't get the boquet and Mermaid's Pendant like would have to be done for any other NPC.

imnvs

Local Legend
With NPCs you have to build up the relationship which is a hurdle that must be gotten past. Then you get a bouquet. Then you have to build the relationship again. Then you can get the pendant.

With another player, you skip all of that. You could get married day 3 if you could get the bouquet and pendant, and then you'll get a stardrop LONG before you're supposed to be able to get one. Marrying another player needed to have a different process that prevented you from doing something like this.

jlowe258

Greenhorn
With NPCs you have to build up the relationship which is a hurdle that must be gotten past. Then you get a bouquet. Then you have to build the relationship again. Then you can get the pendant.

With another player, you skip all of that. You could get married day 3 if you could get the bouquet and pendant, and then you'll get a stardrop LONG before you're supposed to be able to get one. Marrying another player needed to have a different process that prevented you from doing something like this.
Not true at all. Bouquets are still locked behind getting 8 hearts with a marriage candidate(which we unlocked through a natural progression of gifting over time as we didn't care about any of them romanticall), something that still takes time. She wanted to status to change to girlfriend/boyfriend after getting the Bouquet and engaged for the pendant. I wouldn't mind the Wedding Ring still being required for the actual multiplayer marriage part because of Reasons(however it needs to be justified for gameplay.)

imnvs

Local Legend
You just said what I said isn't true... because you missed where I said, "if you could get the bouquet and pendant". What I said is true. Read it again.

And getting a third person to like you enough to unlock the bouquets so you can give it to another player is silly.

jlowe258

Greenhorn
You just said what I said isn't true... because you missed where I said, "if you could get the bouquet and pendant". What I said is true. Read it again.

And getting a third person to like you enough to unlock the bouquets so you can give it to another player is silly.
Yeah. Your sentence was such an utterly contradictory hypothetical it is irrelevant. You can't get the bouquet by day three AND the Mermaid's Pendant has a whole slew of other requirements that a player won't be able to get it by the first rain anyway so what you said is still untrue/irrelevant.

Regardless, what is the problem with an early Stardrop in a non-competitive game? Is it game-breaking in some way?

imnvs

Local Legend
Yes, energy is your most valuable resource. Getting a stardrop early would shake up gameplay. I used a deliberately exaggerated early date, but getting married well before you could realistically do so otherwise would definitely change the balance of things.

Odin

Staff member
Let's remember to be friendly when discussing game ideas! Just because someone is focused on a different aspect of the game doesn't mean their perspective, or a point they make, is "irrelevant".
Yeah. Your sentence was such an utterly contradictory hypothetical it is irrelevant. You can't get the bouquet by day three AND the Mermaid's Pendant has a whole slew of other requirements that a player won't be able to get it by the first rain anyway so what you said is still untrue/irrelevant.
Just to try and clarify, I think the confusion is that you're coming at this discussion from two different perspectives. If I've understood Imnvs correctly, they're looking at this suggestion in terms of game mechanics and how things are unlocked. If the bouquet and mermaid's pendant were the way to marry another player, there would be two ways to implement that:
  • One would be to continue to lock the two items behind the existing requirements, but that would create issues, because you'd need to spend time to date an NPC just to get to point of being able to marry another player. And that would potentially frustrate players that have no interest in any NPCs, but want to marry another player.
  • So, to avoid that problem, the other way would be to offer them right from the start of the game (like how the recipe for the wedding band is), because there's no progression that you can make with another player. That's were the hypothetical example of getting married on day 3 comes in.
If I've read your suggestion correctly, it sounds more like you're interested in there being an equivalent to the bouquet for other players, since the wedding band is the equivalent of the mermaid's pendant. And it's not so much about the implementation as much as being able to "date" another player before you marry them. I think that's an interesting suggestion! But per Imnvs' point, a good way to implement this could be to create a new item that's equivalent to the bouquet, but specifically for other players.