Standard Farm Advice on how to improve current Year 2 Farm??

ashleyrocky

Farmhand
Hello! This is my current file with my standard farm, "Fezco Farm"! I just made small improvements to this farm recently, like making a little tree grove to collect tar (eventually will have paths and trappers on each tree) and finally placing sprinkles in little plots of land. I like how it's starting to look? But I feel like I should have made more progress by this point or have it look a little nicer/cleaner. I've been so focused on other things besides my farm like the mines, unlocking community center bundles, and doing quests. I still don't have all the land cleared out yet, and I kinda do it as I get new ideas for buildings and for some reason it's just easier for me then clearing all the land out in one go. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do for my farm concerning design, layout, or anything else? I really would love to hear everyone's suggestions!!
I also realized I should've placed the stable right next to my house for a cleaner look, but I unfortunately have an apple tree growing there and that sampling was expensive :defeated: still trying to get greenhouse to put all fruit trees in there!!

ash_3-16-2022_54746246.png

Boo1972

Farmer
I always let at least a portion of my farm stay wild. I like the aesthetic and it reminds me of how some local farms are organized, especially with trees and shrubs close to natural water sources. But I digress.

First, I would clear some trees from around your mushroom tree so it can spread. You can tap it for mushrooms if you’d like. Before long, you’ll have your own mushroom tree grove.

I personally keep my animals together and let the cows mingle with the chickens. No one’s been trampled yet! My horse and stable stay in the paddock with the other animals. You could try placing the coop and barn next to each other. You’d have to build new fencing though.

I like the apple tree.

Really it’s a nice, neat farm. You should be proud. My year two farm isn’t much more organized than yours. I just have sheds to hold my kegs.

ashleyrocky

Farmhand
I always let at least a portion of my farm stay wild. I like the aesthetic and it reminds me of how some local farms are organized, especially with trees and shrubs close to natural water sources. But I digress.

First, I would clear some trees from around your mushroom tree so it can spread. You can tap it for mushrooms if you’d like. Before long, you’ll have your own mushroom tree grove.

I personally keep my animals together and let the cows mingle with the chickens. No one’s been trampled yet! My horse and stable stay in the paddock with the other animals. You could try placing the coop and barn next to each other. You’d have to build new fencing though.

I like the apple tree.

Really it’s a nice, neat farm. You should be proud. My year two farm isn’t much more organized than yours. I just have sheds to hold my kegs.
I didn't even know you can tap mushroom trees! I just leave them alone anyway cause I think they look cute!
And yes, I've been planning to move my barn next to the coop but I want to at least unlock the greenhouse first before I do any other planning, and its proving to take a lot longer than it should. :defeated: :defeated:

LRangerR

Local Legend
I think your farm is progressing "Maaaaarvelously".

The only thing i would change is, like @Boo1972 said, clear a space in a 4x4 diameter around that single mushroom tree. They're actually pretty rare. Trees drop in an area exactly 3 spots around them, in a square area (so diagonals count).

Good luck with your greenhouse, and good luck having fun as well ;P

LRangerR

Local Legend
I didn't even know you can tap mushroom trees! I just leave them alone anyway cause I think they look cute!
And yes, I've been planning to move my barn next to the coop but I want to at least unlock the greenhouse first before I do any other planning, and its proving to take a lot longer than it should. :defeated: :defeated:
I was very new when I had my first mushroom tree, and was in the habit of keeping the farm 100% clear, so, much to my dismay, the very first mushroom tree i had i chopped down immediately. I've had exactly one more since.

Boo1972

Farmer
Which bundle is proving difficult? Some of them are a bit tricky.

ashleyrocky

Farmhand
Which bundle is proving difficult? Some of them are a bit tricky.
The enchanter bundle I think it's called? I'm stuck trying to get a rabbits foot and a pomegranate. But the fishing bundles also were a bit difficult because I didn't take advantage of the first year's seasons and the fish exclusive to certain seasons, but I just recently completed it! :defeated: :defeated:

Boo1972

Farmer
Yeah, the wizard is demanding. If you are still in summer a pomegranate tree will have time to mature before the end of fall. If you are comfortable in the skull caverns, rabbits foot is a somewhat rare monster drop. Good luck!

nightknu

Tiller
you could move your stable to where the lightning rods are (i think), which would make it a lot quicker to get to.
i prefer spreading my buildings out so that i dont have big areas of empty space, and i fill any unused space with crops (even the tiny areas). putting some stepping stone paths in the empty spaces of the overgrown tree area would prevent the tiny trees from spawning, but that wouldnt be necessary unless you actually walk through there often. putting down a path leading through the big grassy area would be useful, just in case you ever need to rush back home through the bottom entrance. plus i personally think having paths leading to all the exits looks nice :3

if you have extra money/materials lying around, id suggest getting some sheds. im not sure if you need them now, but eventually theyre really useful for keeping chests/kegs/furnaces/etc in .. saves space and it looks cleaner than keeping them out in the open. once your coop/barn/house/sheds are fully upgraded, you can recolour them at robins shop (for free !). the stable will always be paintable because it doesnt have any upgrades, so you can match it to your house if you paint that. robin also sells a furniture catalogue (costs 200,000g .. so only get it if you have nothing else to spend your money on). itll give you access to most of the furniture, and you can place almost all of it outside. i use a ridiculous amount of the plants from it to decorate :P seasonal plants are also really cool decor items .. robin sells a variation of them, pierre sells a couple at the egg festival/flower dance, theres another variation sold at the desert, and theres a guy at the night market that sells all of them. but i wouldnt advise spending money on decor until you have a lot of extra cash lying around

your farm looks really good for year 2, though ! my farms are always a total mess up until im in the late game. focusing on other things for the first few years makes it a lot easier to clean everything up later on

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Focus mostly on having fun, that is the main part of the game in the end.
Other things you cold try are really opening up your farm, there really isn't a reason to cramp it all together and it might give you more ideas for what to do if you do have open areas.
I would also reccomend some more sprinklers for crops, which you can use for profit or aesthetics. Another thing which is good to remember is the fact that you don't need to keep kegs in sheds, you can have them off farm which both saves space and money, also it can leave your sheds if you do open them to more needing ventures.
Anyway, good luck and really be and do whatever, sometimes creativity is the best regime and vice versa, you never know.

OPPLAYER57_YT

Newcomer
Hello! This is my current file with my standard farm, "Fezco Farm"! I just made small improvements to this farm recently, like making a little tree grove to collect tar (eventually will have paths and trappers on each tree) and finally placing sprinkles in little plots of land. I like how it's starting to look? But I feel like I should have made more progress by this point or have it look a little nicer/cleaner. I've been so focused on other things besides my farm like the mines, unlocking community center bundles, and doing quests. I still don't have all the land cleared out yet, and I kinda do it as I get new ideas for buildings and for some reason it's just easier for me then clearing all the land out in one go. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do for my farm concerning design, layout, or anything else? I really would love to hear everyone's suggestions!!
I also realized I should've placed the stable right next to my house for a cleaner look, but I unfortunately have an apple tree growing there and that sampling was expensive :defeated: still trying to get greenhouse to put all fruit trees in there!!

View attachment 8970
Wow! thats amazing for year 2 i am in year 2 fall and i just have 5 deluxe barns and about 200 tiles of farmland, my farm looks distgusting though.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Other than maybe moving the stable to the empty space below the main path out (above the smaller pond), and building yourself a path to the forest exit at the bottom, it looks very well organized. (Paths have a fractional speed boost and the grass won't grow over them, though fiber weeds can, so it will reduce your time getting out that way)

My first farm I had an intentionally uncleared spot in the bottom left corner even in year 8 so I'd always have wood and sap. (And didn't have to clear my tapper grove) I'd stroll through to clean out the deadfall and fiber plants regularly so I guess I didn't leave it entirely alone but I never bothered cutting more than I wanted or pulling up *all* the seeds/seedlings. (also, with a couple of plates of food, it made Robin's 1000 wood challenge a nonevent)

It looks like you could also insta-fill a second silo with all that grass. I found that once I had more animals I really appreciated two silos in winter.

I guess that depends on whether you're getting more animals. But as well as the rabbit's foot (which the rabbits somehow harmlessly shed without hurting themselves), I found I preferred to get wool by having rabbits rather than sheep. Not as much at a time, but no shearing.(and if you've ever seen real world Angora rabbits they are the most adorable things, and yeah you can harvest spinnable fur just by what they shed.)