abnormal behavior i guess

Dorito

Tiller
so i was wondering if am the only one who likes to plant and harvest but never sells the crops 😂
Every season i go buy every crop plant them and keep all what i harvest, i like to collect them and have more i guess but i rarely sell any

hbu what do you do with your crops
Cook them, sell them..etc 🙇‍♀️

Lew Zealand

Helper
Money Grubbing Farmer™ needs her farm upgrade teleportation gadget slush fund full of much g sloshing around, and she has found that hoarding vegetables contributes less to that fund than is required. So generally this results in more than half of any season's harvest being the most lucrative crop which can be Preserved in Jars or Kegged and then sold on to the Shipping Bin (or to Pierre if I haven't recently received a critical review that "Pierre's" pickles were gross from certain Pelican Townies).

And I'm not smart enough to cook anything other than converting Lava Eels and Octopuses into sushi. Because Seb's just that worth it. I sit at home crunching on Periwinkle shells 'cuz Abby gave me the number for her dentist.

FarmerJoJo

Planter
I decided to make a virtue of that habit - in my current game I'm not shipping any raw ingredients (waited until end of Spring 1 to implement). Building up the preserves jar and kegs now. Hurts a little to turn that nice catfish into Sushi, but does put a different spin on the game. I find it easier to sell wine and preserves, because at that point they don't have much use in the game. (unless you're trying to woo Harvey or Leah)

imnvs

Local Legend
Something I thought I should add... saving up certain ingredients for cooking? Pro-tip: do it. Eventually, if you want 100% perfection (in v1.5) you'll likely be asked at some point to cook 100k gold value of food in 2 weeks. Without having saved up cooking ingredients, it is either difficult or expensive to do this. For a frame of reference, the most expensive cooked dishes you can make are Fish Taco and Tropical Curry, and at 500g each you still need 200 of them. Poi? Made with 4 tarot roots and comes in at 400g meaning you need 250 of them which takes a total of 1000 taro roots to do this with Poi alone. (Poi is MUCH more profitable than selling the taro roots.)

Some folks do it all with bread (which is 60g per) after buying a bunch of flour (at 100g per) from Pierre... but that takes 1667 bread, which takes 1667 flour which takes 166.7k gold to do. Sure, you get the 100k from selling the cooked food... but that still means you need 166.7k to start this and will only get 100.02k in return for a net loss of 66.68k. Again, for a frame of reference, 1000 taro roots sell for an average price of 125k... or you could spend 166.7k to do this by turning cash to bread. You could save over 40k each time by just saving ingredients.

(Mind that to get average prices for some things I split differences between what a profession would get and what not having the profession would get. For others I took the average of the regular quality and gold quality, which is the silver quality value. Your mileage may vary based on skill level and professions picked.)

Save up cooking ingredients, people. This quest is SOOO easy if you save up ingredients... and a pain in the butt if you don't.

Last edited:

Elenna101

Farmer
Some folks do it all with bread (which is 60g per) after buying a bunch of flour (at 100g per) from Pierre... but that takes 1667 bread, which takes 1667 flour which takes 166.7k gold to do. Sure, you get the 100k from selling the cooked food... but that still means you need 166.7k to start this and will only get 100.02k in return for a net loss of 66.68k. Again, for a frame of reference, 1000 taro roots sell for an average price of 125k... or you could spend 166.7k to do this by turning cash to bread. You could save over 40k each time by just saving ingredients.
Slight nitpick with your math: if you're pickling all the taro roots, the resulting 1000 pickles sell for 250k (350k with the Artisan profession), which means you're losing at least 150k by selling them as poi instead, which means you're better off buying the flour and "only" losing 66.7k. So if you have enough jars to pickle everything you have, you'll get more money by doing that. If not, cooking them (or saving them to cook when you get that quest) can be a good option, depending on the recipe.

As you can probably guess from the above, I generally save only 10-30 of each crop (plus more if it's someone's loved gift), put the rest in kegs or jars as appropriate, and sell the resulting artisan goods.

imnvs

Local Legend
Slight nitpick with your math: if you're pickling all the taro roots, the resulting 1000 pickles sell for 250k (350k with the Artisan profession), which means you're losing at least 150k by selling them as poi instead, which means you're better off buying the flour and "only" losing 66.7k. So if you have enough jars to pickle everything you have, you'll get more money by doing that. If not, cooking them (or saving them to cook when you get that quest) can be a good option, depending on the recipe.

As you can probably guess from the above, I generally save only 10-30 of each crop (plus more if it's someone's loved gift), put the rest in kegs or jars as appropriate, and sell the resulting artisan goods.
While this is fair, that was one example. More often than not I do this quest with triple espresso. I have 20 coffee plants (minimum) in every save to fuel my caffeine addiction, so 16 coffee (average) every 2 days, plus my coffee maker for a free coffee daily for 18 total, or roughly 6 triple espressos every 2 days, or 3/day. Inevitably I will build up a surplus.

I haven't compared other expensive foods...

...and still, you also kinda proved my main point. I don't sell crops. Let's back up to my first reply here:
I plant everything early on, but eventually transition to only planting ingredients for cooking and for processing in jars or kegs. I only ship raw ingredients to satisfy the Complete Shipment, Monoculture and Polyculture achievements.
This is what I was adding to. I have 2.5 sheds of jars and 5.5 sheds of kegs. Believe me, I'm processing a metric whale load of stuff, and most of it more valuable than the taro pickles.

Elenna101

Farmer
While this is fair, that was one example. More often than not I do this quest with triple espresso. I have 20 coffee plants (minimum) in every save to fuel my caffeine addiction, so 16 coffee (average) every 2 days, plus my coffee maker for a free coffee daily for 18 total, or roughly 6 triple espressos every 2 days, or 3/day. Inevitably I will build up a surplus.

I haven't compared other expensive foods...

...and still, you also kinda proved my main point. I don't sell crops. Let's back up to my first reply here:

This is what I was adding to. I have 2.5 sheds of jars and 5.5 sheds of kegs. Believe me, I'm processing a metric whale load of stuff, and most of it more valuable than the taro pickles.
Ah, yeah, I did miss your first post.

I am from the city.
I envy farmers because they can be self-sufficient.
It is a luxury to grow and eat your foods.
Playing SV has given me the ability to fantasize about being self-sufficient and eating good quality food almost every day.
I want to live in fantasy, not selling my crops but eating them.

haywud

Farmhand
I'm kind of mixed with what I do with my crops. Sometimes I keep what I grow, sometimes I sell it. It just depends on different factors. For example do I need the crops for something, or do I need money. Like say I want to grow pumpkins for Abigail, and in that case I'm keeping what I grow to give as gifts. So yeah for me it depends on various things. I do feel like I have a higher tendency to just keep what I grow though, especially since you never know when you might need something.

USArmy82

Greenhorn
so i was wondering if am the only one who likes to plant and harvest but never sells the crops 😂
Every season i go buy every crop plant them and keep all what i harvest, i like to collect them and have more i guess but i rarely sell any

Oddly, this make complete sense if you are the type of person that likes to keep things as trophies. I usually like to keep at least one of each thing, and then sell that rest, as if it IS a little trophy :)

USArmy82

Greenhorn
I am from the city.
I envy farmers because they can be self-sufficient.
It is a luxury to grow and eat your foods.
Playing SV has given me the ability to fantasize about being self-sufficient and eating good quality food almost every day.
I want to live in fantasy, not selling my crops but eating them.
I feel the same way. I wish I could get a plot of land and my job would be a sustenance farmer. Ooooo, pipe dream for someone like me who has a profession that requires a city!

I almost never ever cook anything. If I'm playing honestly (I like to cheat my gold count in saves because I'm horribly lazy) my priority is to sell crops if I don't have any quests that require the item. If there's a quest or an empty space in the Community Center Boards then I'll give that the priority. Sometimes if I'm trying to friend someone like Abigail I'll give them a crop they like (pumpkins in that case), but otherwise I sell everything else.

Quirinea

Farmer
Something I thought I should add... saving up certain ingredients for cooking? Pro-tip: do it. Eventually, if you want 100% perfection (in v1.5) you'll likely be asked at some point to cook 100k gold value of food in 2 weeks. Without having saved up cooking ingredients, it is either difficult or expensive to do this. For a frame of reference, the most expensive cooked dishes you can make are Fish Taco and Tropical Curry, and at 500g each you still need 200 of them. Poi? Made with 4 tarot roots and comes in at 400g meaning you need 250 of them which takes a total of 1000 taro roots to do this with Poi alone. (Poi is MUCH more profitable than selling the taro roots.)
You don't need those for getting perfection, they are just tasks, but anyway. I usually hoard coffee to make triple espesso and then just this and that. Sashimi from cheap fish, poi, then sundry dishes if I need them for full collection.

imnvs

Local Legend
You don't need those for getting perfection, they are just tasks, but anyway. I usually hoard coffee to make triple espesso and then just this and that. Sashimi from cheap fish, poi, then sundry dishes if I need them for full collection.
I never said it was a needed task, but an easy task to accomplish when you have a lot of ingredients lying around.