A "brave people" post - Modding ideas & limitations?

KCrow-in!

Newcomer
This is for the brave, or the foolish. Procrastinators, time wasters...unicorns who humor utter strangers as if their words had meaning.
I'm not holding my breath for much engagement here, as you can tell, but I thought I might...well anyways. If you're sane, you're dismissed!

For whoever is left ( just me? okay then... //crickets )

See I've been plagued by "mod fantasies" (like food poisoning, but for your brain).
I've given up trying to self-diagnose. It could be that a dark corner of my mind, with awareness of my pitiful coding ability and poor artistic attempts, is trying to compel me to get into modding, while the post-caffeine hamster that runs my day brain wheel knows better than to listen, so my frustrated subconscious dreamer's enthusiasm is oozing out of me like a jelly donut that's been sat on...or it could just be sleep deprivation.

At any rate, western medicine doesn't care about the cause, only the cures, am I right?

So if you're so inclined to be a hero, my question is whether mods like these fever dreams I've thought up are either
Impossible, or
Impractically close enough to impossible

As a side note, do modders ever get people who gang together to fund mod requests? I know nothing about this community.

Also, do people actually post mod ideas here?
Or is that kind of taboo?

I mean it's rude, yes. As if I, a feeble lay man with shallow skills at best, would feel entitled to the epic & legendary labor of the mod gods...it's rude, sure - but is it taboo?
That was rhetorical.

"What are the limitations of trying to create mods along the lines of what I've listed below?"
^ That was not.

For the record - I'm genuinely intrigued by this and think it would make for a good discussion.
This isn't a poorly veiled attempt to get people to take my ideas seriously...(really! If you don't believe me, just ask me!)

---

The crazy ideas in question:

(1) Wild Animal Interactions Mod -

Wild animals can interact with you, NPCs, tame animals, and one another. Weather-based behavior.
Other tidbits could include...Hunt, catch/trap, tame, train, photograph, feed, make scientific observations, get bit (go to the hospital).
Animals raid the trash, get into homes/buildings, can be nursed back to health. Game preserve in the SVE forest. Breeding seasons.
Bird observatory, butterfly garden. Seagulls & otters begging for fish. Bird feeders, deer feeders. Catch your own barn & coop creatures.

(2) Employment & Hobbies (kind of covered above)
Work in "quest-like" fashion at the saloon, at Pierre's, for the wizard.
Play a fishing-style "mini game" to complete tasks, do fetch quests, door to door Joja sales.
Register as "self-employed" for hobbies like art, photography, science, babysitting, or do house calls for Harvey.

(3) Law & Order
Villainous, evil, or delinquent character versions. Fines for public intox, littering, trash raiding (disturbing the peace). Teenage delinquents, wanted murderers. Break into someone's house or store after hours - try to shop lift. Spend real in-game time in jail if caught. Maybe overnight with Shane. Earn "black hearts" with NPCs.
I think that the wizard would make for a particularly cool super villain, and if you weren't a particularly decent person yourself, you might join him. That would definitely put Abigail in a weird position.

(4) NPCs have a mind & life of their own...
NPCs can see you as a romantic or skill-based rival and can lie, spread rumors, or try to seduce your spouse. NPCs interact with each other. Their tastes in gifts vary. They can move in with one another, become famous and move out of town, can develop phobias, or fall gravely ill. Beloved NPCs can hang out on your farm & pet your animals or enter your house at their leisure. NPCs can hate each other & get into bar fights. Variations in how NPCs feel about you and how easily they are wooed (or turned off). NPCs can be impressed by watching you skill out. NPCs can approach you & instigate conversations. The mood of NPCs can vary based on the weather, weekday, or the day's luck.

(5) Disasters
Events that can make parts of the town inaccessible & change the music. Joja contaminated the town's water supply, there was a fire in the saloon, an illness struck the town, a train accident floods the hospital, monsters escaped the mines, flooding & river overflows, hurricane season.

---

Of all the things I've mentioned, I think the most impractical bit would be to actually make it possible for NPCs to react to their environment contextually.
Ie - change their regular routine in reaction to something.

I imagine the way the game was programmed really doesn't allow for that.

What do you guys think?
Which number is the most unrealistic, and why?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
as the ole discord says:

i think all of these mods you're suggesting would be a lot of work and require a lot of coding, but you could do them if you really wanted to. there's none that i would say are more unrealistic, just more like, heavy-handed to do. if you want NPCs to react to certain things and disappear, try to interact with other characters and change how they respond to you and etc, i think that would take a lot of changes

KCrow-in!

Newcomer
as the ole discord says:

i think all of these mods you're suggesting would be a lot of work and require a lot of coding, but you could do them if you really wanted to. there's none that i would say are more unrealistic, just more like, heavy-handed to do. if you want NPCs to react to certain things and disappear, try to interact with other characters and change how they respond to you and etc, i think that would take a lot of changes
Haha! That's a cute joke.

Neat...so things like that can actually be done! Maybe I will look into it more deeply then after I'm done with the projects I've been working on at the moment. Thanks for the reply!