1.6 update question

Akuriko

Farmhand
Hello all i have a dumb question if your playing on a console version since its only 1.5 and 1.6 comes out and you choose say the riverlands farm for 1.5 and you upgrade to 1.6 when the upgrade is applied and you start your current save file do you get the fish smoker? or do you need a new save/farm to start?

HaleyRocks

Farmer
You don't need to stress over Fish smoker. If your only criteria in starting a farm is that, i recommend you to rethink it. You buy the recipe easily in early to mid game, although is a bit hard to craft.

Choose your farm based on other merits!

Standard remains a solid choice, for lots of space to use.

Beach remains a challenging and satisfying selection, for the experienced player (ocean is better than river, at that).

Meadowlands give you a nice head-start and if you plan carefully, you can make great use of its land.

Four corners for multiplayer.

Forest for foraging and hardwood (pointless, since unlocking secret woods is easy and doesn't take long).

Hilltop for minerals (pointless, since unlocking the quarry is easy and doesn't take long).

Wilderness for chance to fight wilderness golems and iridium golems, in hopes of getting Living hat (pointless, since destroying weeds is faster and you can manipulate their growth).

Riverlands is very lackluster, for the biggest shortage of land. One little machine is anything but a sweet tradeoff.

Benhimself

Rancher
Keep in mind beach farm has over a 42% chance of getting trash or seaweed when you fish, and the riverlands farm gets bubbles which no other map type does. Also river fish include catfish, and the ability to grab those early spring rainy days just by walking out your front door, fishing, and throwing stuff directly into your shipping bin, is a nontrivial boost to early income (be sure to buy some salads or trout soup ahead of time when you see the weather). It's especially ridiculous in 1.6 with an early bait-maker so you can fish almost nothing BUT catfish all day long. And, just personally speaking, the bridges-connecting-tiny-islands is easily my favorite aesthetic out of all the farms. Space? That's what Ginger Island is for.

All the farm types have stuff going for them and are worth playing at least once, but if you want a fishing-focused run even without the free fish smoker the Riverlands farm is strongly worth considering.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Keep in mind beach farm has over a 42% chance of getting trash or seaweed when you fish, and the riverlands farm gets bubbles which no other map type does. Also river fish include catfish, and the ability to grab those early spring rainy days just by walking out your front door, fishing, and throwing stuff directly into your shipping bin, is a nontrivial boost to early income (be sure to buy some salads or trout soup ahead of time when you see the weather). It's especially ridiculous in 1.6 with an early bait-maker so you can fish almost nothing BUT catfish all day long. And, just personally speaking, the bridges-connecting-tiny-islands is easily my favorite aesthetic out of all the farms. Space? That's what Ginger Island is for.

All the farm types have stuff going for them and are worth playing at least once, but if you want a fishing-focused run even without the free fish smoker the Riverlands farm is strongly worth considering.
Many good points raised here. Just one comment, if i may... Ginger island farm doesn't have "space", because you simply cannot build anything, there...

Benhimself

Rancher
Many good points raised here. Just one comment, if i may... Ginger island farm doesn't have "space", because you simply cannot build anything, there...
Yeah, if you want to go with a dozen sheds full of kegs, or a rainbow of fish ponds then Riverlands isn't your best bet but there's more than enough room for a barn, a coop, and a shed or two.

Akuriko

Farmhand
actually i love stardew valley, i wanted to know the question because well when i use my switch later with 1.6 i will use the riverland farm, however i will stress over the smoker because i have a XL Shed devoted to Fish Smokers. here check this out, year 7, 14 million in the bank i think im doing well on the pc.

Attachments