[1.5 Spoilers] Trouble getting new quests

Has anyone had any problems or questions regarding the challenge board in Qi's walnut room on Ginger Island or quests related to it?

I have had trouble getting the "Danger in the Deep" and "Skull Cavern Invasion" quests. I've had the room unlocked for more than an in-game year now and still haven't seen either one. I need the radioactive ore to achieve perfection status, but I'm having no luck. They're literally the only ones I haven't seen yet.

Zamiel

Sodbuster
Sounds like you are getting unlicky, as I've gotten each those 2 times already over the course of just 1 year.

rkcr

Greenhorn
I have the exact same problem - I have never seen "Danger in the Deep" nor "Skull Cavern Invasion" and I've been waiting for more than a year for either to pop.

I've completed all the other quests except for "Let's Play A Game" and "Qi's Prismatic Grange." Maybe you have to complete one of those two before it'll give you the radioactive ore quests?

Elenna101

Farmer
Yeah, those two were the first ones I got, so it's not a matter of needing to complete other ones first. Probably just random.

Some math: There are 10 Qi challenges, so the probability of getting neither of those in any particular week is (8/10)*(8/10) = 0.64 (it's squared because you get two challenges a week to pick from).
So the probability of getting neither for an entire year is 0.64^16 = 0.0008 (i.e. 0.08%).

...maybe your game is bugged?

EDIT: That assumes you're checking every week. Obviously if you're not checking every week and you might have missed it, the probability goes up.

Also, it's worth pointing out that *someone* has to be that unlucky. 0.08% chance means out of every 10,000 players, 8 of them will not receive either of those quests within a year. Assuming there are more than 10,000 people playing Stardew on PC (I really have no idea what the numbers are), there will almost certainly be a few who don't get those quests in a year. You could just be one of those unlucky people.

imnvs

Local Legend
Some math: There are 10 Qi challenges, so the probability of getting neither of those in any particular week is (8/10)*(8/10) = 0.64 (it's squared because you get two challenges a week to pick from).
So the probability of getting neither for an entire year is 0.64^16 = 0.0008 (i.e. 0.08%).
Your math is a bit off. When selecting 2 quests, quest 1 is selected and there is an 8/10 chance of it not being the one you want, you are correct... but when quest 2 is selected there are only 9 options left and a 8/9 chance of it not being the one you want. That means there is a 64/90 chance, or 71.111% chance of it not being the quest you're hoping for. That 16 times is 4.2756% chance for the year... and that's assuming that no multi-week challenges were accepted and the entire time used. I mean, doing the Qi berries will probably take the whole month, you know, if you can even do it that fast. (I mean, I don't think I can any more. I don't have enough space on the island what with 14 banana,14 mango trees, 144 ancient fruit and 144 pineapple taking up a lot of space there.)

Elenna101

Farmer
Your math is a bit off. When selecting 2 quests, quest 1 is selected and there is an 8/10 chance of it not being the one you want, you are correct... but when quest 2 is selected there are only 9 options left and a 8/9 chance of it not being the one you want. That means there is a 64/90 chance, or 71.111% chance of it not being the quest you're hoping for. That 16 times is 4.2756% chance for the year... and that's assuming that no multi-week challenges were accepted and the entire time used. I mean, doing the Qi berries will probably take the whole month, you know, if you can even do it that fast. (I mean, I don't think I can any more. I don't have enough space on the island what with 14 banana,14 mango trees, 144 ancient fruit and 144 pineapple taking up a lot of space there.)
Oh, yes, you're definitely right that it's 64/90 and not 64/100. And I call myself a stats major...

But my understanding was that you get a new quest each Monday even if you already have a previous quest going, just like the special quest board in town? Granted, I haven't actually had a chance to check that myself yet, I'm just basing that on what I read on the wiki.
Assuming that's correct, the chance of not getting them in a year is (64/90)^16 = 0.004, i.e. 4 out of each thousand players getting that unlucky.

imnvs

Local Legend
But my understanding was that you get a new quest each Monday even if you already have a previous quest going, just like the special quest board in town? Granted, I haven't actually had a chance to check that myself yet, I'm just basing that on what I read on the wiki.
Assuming that's correct, the chance of not getting them in a year is (64/90)^16 = 0.004, i.e. 4 out of each thousand players getting that unlucky.
Even then, if you have a quest active, like Qi Beans, for example... one of those quest slots is always filled, so it's only doing the 8/9 check for the other one, isn't it? That would still bring the numbers up a little bit.

Ereo

Helper
Even then, if you have a quest active, like Qi Beans, for example... one of those quest slots is always filled, so it's only doing the 8/9 check for the other one, isn't it? That would still bring the numbers up a little bit.
Are you sure? I think you get two new options, the old one just stays in your quest log.

Elenna101

Farmer
Yeah, you definitely get two new options. I had Qi's Hungry Challenge and Qi's Cuisine one week, and I accepted Cuisine, which is a 14-day quest. TBH I'm not really able to do either of them but I figured might as well accept one, why not. Anyways, the next Monday, Cuisine was still in my quest log but I had two new quests on the board, Qi's Kindness and Qi's Hungry Challenge. (I'm guessing it's a coincidence that Hungry Challenge showed up twice in a row.)

That being said, the other thing I'm not sure about is whether you can get a challenge while the same challenge is currently in your quest log. E.g. if you accept Cuisine, can you accept Cuisine again 7 days later? Could you technically fulfill both of them with the same 100,000g worth of food? What if you accept a long quest and then fulfill it within 7 days, then can it show up again?

Anyways the exact probabilities taking all that into account gets more complicated than I want to do now, although I imagine the probability of not being able to get radioactive ore for a year is still very small.

Ereo

Helper
I don't think you can get the same quest while it's still active, but if you finish it before the week is up, I don't see why you shouldn't get it again. I imagine the game checks for active quests in your journal.

rkcr

Greenhorn
I wonder if the strategy to getting this quest is to take Qi quests that take a long time and then PURPOSEFULLY not finish them - that way you reduce the number of quests that can show up.

(I'm now at 1.5 years without ever seeing any radioactive ore quests btw... almost have my gold clock and everything else except this darn ore!)

Elenna101

Farmer
I don't think you can get the same quest while it's still active, but if you finish it before the week is up, I don't see why you shouldn't get it again. I imagine the game checks for active quests in your journal.
Yeah, that would probably be easier, coding-wise, than remembering what quests were accepted in the last couple weeks and checking if the time would have run out.