Questions concerned ape will hopefully see

Ray gammas

Greenhorn
Hey, Concernedape. I'm a huge fan of stardew valley and just thought it would be cool to ask you a couple questions. You probably won't ever see this or respond but it'd be really cool if you did.
Anyways, here's what I wanted to ask:

1- Why does Abigail eat rocks?

2- What does secret note #11 mean? Am I missing something?

3- Why can't we romance Clint? Asking for a friend.

4- What's the religion of Yoba called? Like, it's Buddhism for Buddha and Christianity for Jesus.. What is it for Yoba?

5- Who was Robin married to before Demetrius? Does Sebastian talk with his dad?

6- I'm supposed to have full friendship with everyone to achieve perfection, but my ex husband won't talk to me or accept gifts. What do I do?

7- Is Yoba the only religion practiced in Stardew Valley, other than atheism? What about in the Gotoro Empire?

8- What happened with Shane's family? What about Jas?

9- Where does Pam even sleep?

10- How do Skeletons reproduce? Do they.. BONE? *Ba-dum tss*
(Seriously, though..)

11- Coming from Concernedape, the goat himself, who's the best choice to marry? Or is it Krobus, as a friend?

12- Where does anyone get their hair dye from?

13- Why do the mayor and Marnie hide their relationship?

14- Why do the iridium meteors only land on my farm and not anywhere else?

15- Why don't I have a smartphone?

16- Why do the mayor and Marnie get rizzy in the bush at 12:40 instead of just going to one of their houses?

17- Why is Mr Qi blue?

18- How do you pronounce Maru's name?

19- Since there are different ethnicities in pelican town, that implies that Demetrius or his ancestors came from a different country. Is it the Gotoro Empire or another country? Or is he native, and everyone else came from another country?

20- Possibly the most important question: Why is it called Pelican Town if there are no pelicans?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hey, Concernedape. I'm a huge fan of stardew valley and just thought it would be cool to ask you a couple questions. You probably won't ever see this or respond but it'd be really cool if you did.

4- What's the religion of Yoba called? Like, it's Buddhism for Buddha and Christianity for Jesus.. What is it for Yoba?

6- I'm supposed to have full friendship with everyone to achieve perfection, but my ex husband won't talk to me or accept gifts. What do I do?

7- Is Yoba the only religion practiced in Stardew Valley, other than atheism? What about in the Gotoro Empire?

8- What happened with Shane's family? What about Jas?

(Seriously, though..)

11- Coming from Concernedape, the goat himself, who's the best choice to marry? Or is it Krobus, as a friend?

14- Why do the iridium meteors only land on my farm and not anywhere else?

16- Why do the mayor and Marnie get rizzy in the bush at 12:40 instead of just going to one of their houses?

17- Why is Mr Qi blue?

19- Since there are different ethnicities in pelican town, that implies that Demetrius or his ancestors came from a different country. Is it the Gotoro Empire or another country? Or is he native, and everyone else came from another country?

20- Possibly the most important question: Why is it called Pelican Town if there are no pelicans?
Disclaimer: I am an ape and am concerned about some things but am not ConcernedApe.
However, as this is posted to Game Discussion and not CA's profile, that means you want me to write things. Sorry 'bout that.

1. Better than smoking 'em.

2. Jas has been with Marnie for a while. Also green fades more than blue and red when buried underground

3. Though often hot and sweaty, he ain't the romantic type. Also he didn't win the new Bachelorette and Bachelor contest before v1.1, that was Shane and Emily.

4. It's short for Yo Balaclava or Yo Babushka and the knowledge of who truly won the Headwear Wars has been lost to time and mortality, so the People of the Forgetting called it a tie and shortened it to Yoba. Until the Cult of Restrictive Neckwear started grumbling that they couldn't call it a tie as they already worshipped the One and True Bolo Tie. Some say this is the source of the war with the Gotoros.

5. Greg.

6. 30,000g to the Shrine of Dark Memory. Fine print: They'll forget but you remember everything. This is called a conscience.

7. Seems so, though the Shrines located around town suggest a more Pagan-oriented set of belief by at least some of the people and Abby has her own ideas about speaking to the Astral World. As for the Gotoros, see above.

8. Many parents aren't addressed other than vague references and since Shane gets lumped in with the "older bachelors" (late 20s "older" wow), parents are less important. I think he moved to the Valley to get away from himself and find himself at the same time. Jas' parents are mentioned in some game dialog being friends of Marnie's but we don't know what happened to them, could be the at the hands of the Gotoros for all we know.

9. No Spoilers! Get the Key To The Town and find out how everyone sleeps.

10. They plant an extra rib on occasion when one breaks off (I've broken 4, I'd love to have 4 skellys IRL!). As it gestates underground for thousands of... minutes I guess, it slowly forms a new skelly by absorbing the local minerals and other leftover bones the Farmer keeps digging up from the soils and rocks lining the Valley. They're easy to kill because all those other bones just don't fit too well, what's the chance you get 2 skellyfeet the same size, or even a matched pair? I swear I'm fighting skellys with 2 right feet half the time.

11. Probs Abigail as she's based on a friend but then so is Shane IIRC.

12. OK this is the real reason I started this. It is well known by me that the Slimes around town and in the Mines have their hairdressing boutique at the edge of town just past that gap in the map near Linus' tent. Everyone goes in and the Slimes of a Different Color sit on your head all warm and cooing, slowly releasing their inherent color onto your head and even down into your roots so you only need to drop by maybe every 2-3 weeks or so. Occasionally too much seeps in to the scalp but hey that just covers up any li'l bald spots, right? Even Haley and Elliot go for touch-ups.

13. Marnie's an adoptive parent to Jas so is nervous about explaining that and c'mon.... Lewis is a politician. It's like a requirement in politics to have something happening on the sly. Just shows ol' Lewie is the best villager for the job.

14. Your Farm is by land area the largest place in town (the map is deceptive), yet is the most mineral-poor. Therefore the Universe is trying to balance its humors by adding some decent elements to your poor soil.

15. You jumped ship from JojaCorp in a desperate and clever escape from their clutches and are now living on the lam while they search for you. Your phone would be traceable so you left it attached to that skeleton in the next cube over. Why are they searching for you? Because you stiffed everyone on the office coffee pool while sneaking savory cups o' joe and when the heat finally came for you, you FINALLY decided to open that letter from grandpa. Sheesh, the things that need to happen just to open the letter in desperation and find grandpa's got a hideout from when he stiffed Joja 60 years ago for tea. Disrespect, desperation and hideouts run in the family.

16. Why go out to eat when you can eat at home? Why go to a sporting event when you can watch on TV? Why go to see live music when you could listen at home? Gotta spice it up sometimes.

17. Because his hat's on too tight and constricting blood flow. Srsly have a look at his hat size, there's something seriously wrong with his cranial physiology. Yes. I called him an idiot.

18. Marr Ooo. The 'Ooo' stands for my reaction when I first saw she wore glasses.

19. Nobody is native, Pelican Town and likely the whole Valley exists in a pocket dimension that is rarely accessible and usually only by invite. Grandpa invited you as are the visitors for the Festivals. Shane was invited as was Leah. Some of the current Villagers have been locals for at least a generation and others were requested to join more recently, it's all based on need. The needs of the Valley and the needs of the individual. You pick each other but you don't know it's happening, it just feels natural.

20. Willy's Pappy ate them all and a previous mayor renamed the town in their honor, name used to be Dodo town. This problem has been happening for a while.

Last edited:

NetworkerC

Planter
Disclaimer: I am an ape and am concerned about some things but am not ConcernedApe.
However, as this is posted to Game Discussion and not CA's profile, that means you want me to write things. Sorry 'bout that.

1. Better than smoking 'em.

2. Jas has been with Marnie for a while. Also green fades more than blue and red when buried underground

3. Though often hot and sweaty, he ain't the romantic type. Also he didn't win the new Bachelorette and Bachelor contest before v1.1, that was Shane and Emily.

4. It's short for Yo Balaclava or Yo Babushka and the knowledge of who truly won the Headwear Wars has been lost to time and mortality, so the People of the Forgetting called it a tie and shortened it to Yoba. Until the Cult of Restrictive Neckwear started grumbling that they couldn't call it a tie as they already worshipped the One and True Bolo Tie. Some say this is the source of the war with the Gotoros.

5. Greg.

6. 30,000g to the Shrine of Dark Memory. Fine print: They'll forget but you remember everything. This is called a conscience.

7. Seems so, though the Shrines located around town suggest a more Pagan-oriented set of belief by at least some of the people and Abby has her own ideas about speaking to the Astral World. As for the Gotoros, see above.

8. Many parents aren't addressed other than vague references and since Shane gets lumped in with the "older bachelors" (late 20s "older" wow), parents are less important. I think he moved to the Valley to get away from himself and find himself at the same time. Jas' parents are mentioned in some game dialog being friends of Marnie's but we don't know what happened to them, could be the at the hands of the Gotoros for all we know.

9. No Spoilers! Get the Key To The Town and find out how everyone sleeps.

10. They plant an extra rib on occasion when one breaks off (I've broken 4, I'd love to have 4 skellys IRL!). As it gestates underground for thousands of... minutes I guess, it slowly forms a new skelly by absorbing the local minerals and other leftover bones the Farmer keeps digging up from the soils and rocks lining the Valley. They're easy to kill because all those other bones just don't fit too well, what's the chance you get 2 skellyfeet the same size, or even a matched pair? I swear I'm fighting skellys with 2 right feet half the time.

11. Probs Abigail as she's based on a friend but then so is Shane IIRC.

12. OK this is the real reason I started this. It is well known by me that the Slimes around town and in the Mines have their hairdressing boutique at the edge of town just past that gap in the map near Linus' tent. Everyone goes in and the Slimes of a Different Color sit on your head all warm and cooing, slowly releasing their inherent color onto your head and even down into your roots so you only need to drop by maybe every 2-3 weeks or so. Occasionally too much seeps in to the scalp but hey that just covers up any li'l bald spots, right? Even Haley and Elliot go for touch-ups.

13. Marnie's an adoptive parent to Jas so is nervous about explaining that and c'mon.... Lewis is a politician. It's like a requirement in politics to have something happening on the sly. Just shows ol' Lewie is the best villager for the job.

14. Your Farm is by land area the largest place in town (the map is deceptive), yet is the most mineral-poor. Therefore the Universe is trying to balance its humors by adding some decent elements to your poor soil.

15. You jumped ship from JojaCorp in a desperate and clever escape from their clutches and are now living on the lam while they search for you. Your phone would be traceable so you left it attached to that skeleton in the next cube over. Why are they searching for you? Because you stiffed everyone on the office coffee pool while sneaking savory cups o' joe and when the heat finally came for you, you FINALLY decided to open that letter from grandpa. Sheesh, the things that need to happen just to open the letter in desperation and find grandpa's got a hideout from when he stiffed Joja 60 years ago for tea. Disrespect, desperation and hideouts run in the family.

16. Why go out to eat when you can eat at home? Why go to a sporting event when you can watch on TV? Why go to see live music when you could listen at home? Gotta spice it up sometimes.

17. Because his hat's on too tight and constricting blood flow. Srsly have a look at his hat size, there's something seriously wrong with his cranial physiology. Yes. I called him an idiot.

18. Marr Ooo. The 'Ooo' stands for my reaction when I first saw she wore glasses.

19. Nobody is native, Pelican Town and likely the whole Valley exists in a pocket dimension that is rarely accessible and usually only by invite. Grandpa invited you as are the visitors for the Festivals. Shane was invited as was Leah. Some of the current Villagers have been locals for at least a generation and others were requested to join more recently, it's all based on need. The needs of the Valley and the needs of the individual. You pick each other but you don't know it's happening, it just feels natural.

20. Willy's Pappy ate them all and a previous mayor renamed the town in their honor, name used to be Dodo town. This problem has been happening for a while.
Lew, this forum is honestly worth coming back to, for your organised chaos, alone.

VampireCake

Farmer
10. They plant an extra rib on occasion when one breaks off (I've broken 4, I'd love to have 4 skellys IRL!). As it gestates underground for thousands of... minutes I guess, it slowly forms a new skelly by absorbing the local minerals and other leftover bones the Farmer keeps digging up from the soils and rocks lining the Valley.
Fun fact: this is how there's a random lamp post in Narnia. :cool:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Since lew made funny responses I thought I'd do it myself, can't let them have all the fun...

Because no one else will, it's a tough job as a rock eater, but someone has to do it

He has his eyes set on emily and emily alone (plus we didn't vote for him most of a decade ago when a new spouse was being added for either side)

It's actually a stand-in for the official 'Yo-ba'llers, an elite group of Ferngill gridball players, it's basically a crazy sports following

It was Greg

Brainwash them (but with style)

Sports cults, what can you say, they're everywhere...

It's one of the great SDV secrets, I heard she sleeps from 2:10 am to 5:50am, we may just never know

(Seriously, though..)
You heard of spare ribs? Those things just pop off and grow a whole new skeleton

Smuggled in from the gotorro empire last I heard, it's a dangerous operation but they cut costs by only selling the most outlandish colours and they get by, it ain't much but it's honest work

The mayor is a bit of a control freak who thinks his perfectly normal relationship will cause some distrust in the town...

No power outlets in stardew valley, it's actually becoming quite a problem, stull like lamps and the tv just turn on, but the second I get my in-universe stardew gaming rig, the whole thing shuts down. I blame the grid

More Lewis controller behavior, he's a bit of an oddball sometimes (don't question him or you'll be placed in way higher tax brackets illegally)

17- Why is Mr Qi blue?
Because he eats too many qi fruit obviously

Decently well, I'd give myself a good 8/10, I could definitely pronounce it better though

Everyone comes from different countries, they all came for the pelicans actually

Marketing ruse, how else would you get 30 odd people to come to a valley in the middle of nowhere (I think it's a qi power play ngl)

Odin

Staff member
I'm also not ConcernedApe, but I can give a serious answer to at least a few of these:
This began as a bug in the game where Abigail would reference gifts being "delicious" even when it was a gemstone. Fans of the game went along with the idea that Abigail can eat rocks and ConcernedApe left it in the game.
Personally I think it's just an old photo, showing those characters when they were a bit younger. The design of that secret note makes it look like a Polaroid photo, with a white border around the image that's taller at the bottom.
As Lew already alluded to, after the game launched in 2016, ConcernedApe held two polls on Twitter to add two marriage candidates to the game. One poll included Emily, Marnie, Sandy, and Pam, with Emily winning. The other poll was between Shane, Linus, Clint, and the Wizard, with Shane winning. Emily and Shane were added as marriage candidates in the 1.1 update and no other marriage candidates have been added since, although the 1.4 update lets Krobus become your roommate.

None of that exactly answers why Clint was never added as a candidate, aside from him not winning the Twitter poll way back in 2016, but I hope it gives some context.
After completing the Community Center, visit the railroad area by the mountain to start a quest for the Wizard. After completing the quest and the one after it, you'll have access to the Witch's Hut where you can make an offering to the Dark Shrine of Memory. This will allow you to restart your relationship with a villager you've divorced.

Many of your other questions are ones only ConcendedApe could answer.

HaleyRocks

Farmer
Instead we got emily, I'm not complaining though it would have been fun to have sandy in the valley and allow them to hang out a bit more than they do currently
Not only that, but Sandy's treatment to the player is very friendly, "cheerful" and "carefree"... Hinting at a potentially great choice of romance. She also writes to us to "visit the desert sooner", as if she misses us or something! And she is single. A thing which her writing style even purposefully suggests/reminds to us! (and she is a rare beauty, near Haley's level, too)

P.S. Last but not least, she is the only NPC directly being friendly, upfront, to us. From the beginning of our interactions! This is what earned her, second place for me, instantly. No other NPC in the game is so open and well-receiving to us, from the get go.

Bawby

Farmer
Not only that, but Sandy's treatment to the player is very friendly, "cheerful" and "carefree"... Hinting at a potentially great choice of romance. She also writes to us to "visit the desert sooner", as if she misses us or something! And she is single. A thing which her writing style even purposefully suggests/reminds to us! (and she is a rare beauty, near Haley's level, too)

P.S. Last but not least, she is the only NPC directly being friendly, upfront, to us. From the beginning of our interactions! This is what earned her, second place for me, instantly. No other NPC in the game is so open and well-receiving to us, from the get go.
I always thought Sam was real chill and welcoming from the start. Anyways, I like Sandy, but don't personally see the romance. I always credited her cheerful nature to just running a business.

Not only that, but Sandy's treatment to the player is very friendly, "cheerful" and "carefree"...

I dunno. When I first played this game, among the eligible marriage candidates, I kinda got the friendly vibes from Maru, Sam, Leah, Harvey, and Emily.

If you are speaking of the "direct, upfront" aspect, then I can see where you're coming from as every marriage candidate seems to have something to hide, though least of all Maru and Sam IMHO.

Some of these questions are actually answered in the game, in dialog, cutscenes, library books, and bits you can find snooping.

For instance, Jas is not Marnie's niece. Marnie is Shane's aunt, and Jas is Shane's goddaughter.

To rebuild friendship with your ex, you can wipe their memory at the Witch's hut.

No smartphone because it's only the 1990s. Landlines and desktop computers.

If you stay with Pam in her home until 2am you can see her fall asleep on the couch, even in the big house she still sleeps on the couch.

Concerned Ape said that Penny is based on his own wife. Fixing the bus and building the house are most meaningful if you marry Penny.