What’s more stressful?

Ereo

Helper
Well as soon as you have some money, 1000g for falling asleep at 2 am doesn't seem too bad.

Health failing in the mines is more expensive (if it's capped somewhere I haven't hit it yet, it's always 10% for me) and items lost in the cavern can't be retrieved, so I wouldn't want to fight at little health.

Tom

Farmer
Hmm. I think you are triggering my neurotic farmer. Don't get me started. This is supposed to be playful! :love:

I started making a list, but it looked like I was in therapy. :grin: So I deleted it.

Zaphira

Sodbuster
Usually I try to get home on time. In the early game I don't like it, to lose things and/or money or even wake up with no energy restored. For me, the time spent longer in the mines does not bring much progress, if you lose some of your stuff or are low on energy in the morning.
Try to have a stack of these bars you can craft from treeseeds. That helps to not fall to low with health and energy, or just leave on time.

Tom

Farmer
I would say mines. But for real though, it is really frustrating when you are literally one more milisecond from your bed or farm house and just pass out
OK. I am going to confess I installed my one trusty mod, Timespeed for the following reasons:

1. What you said, or you are 30 feet from a store and it's about to close.
2. I'm a big fool, and I always run off without taking the things I planned to take. My biggest use of Timespeed is as a "thinking aid" for those "if I weren't such a dummy..." moments.
3. I REALLY wanted (before the v1.5 screenshot tool) the ability to stand around enjoying the sights and sounds of Stardew Valley.

The down sides to TimeSpeed are
A. I really don't want to spoil the fun and challenge of the length of a day. So I try not to use it to be more productive.
B. I want to be able to talk apples to apples with other players rather than saying something like "I got to Fishing 5 on Spring 2 (using TimeSpeed!!!!)".
C. I sometimes forget I stopped the clock. Oops. I just chopped my whole farm, and it's only 7:30 a.m. :whistle:

Answer: Mu!

On the one hand, passing out at 2 AM is a fairly trivial cost. 10% of gold, max 1k, is not a hefty price if it means getting to another elevator level. It is, at worst, an annoyance if I was almost back and didn't quite make it, because then I got the worst of both worlds... both trying to make it back and failing anyway.

On the other hand, there's a reason I never dive mines without food. And this is that reason. In the early game, you have two food sources available to you: Spring Onions and Salmonberries. Even if you don't hit Foraging 4 before Salmonberry season hits, you can still collect over a hundred salmonberries over a day or two, and since they're all guaranteed to be of normal quality, they are also all guaranteed to stack up in a single item slot, making them a perfect mine snack. If you start taking hits and are lower on HP than you like, pop a few. You'll feel right as rain. Ideally, I'll never BE as low as 10 HP, but if for some reason I manage to get that low, I just eat some berries. Later on, once you have a Barn and some cows, Cheese is an even better source of health and energy.

Food: It does a body good.

Shar

Farmhand
Seeing that I almost always stay out till 2am, I'm gonna vote for 10 health in the mines. Naturally you want to never get that low or eat something quickly but not always possible when things are flying at you.
Worst is when a slime gets past your sword and slows you, and then all his little friends break thru the opening. Ugh.

Quillmagic

Farmer
Definitely mines with 10 health. I can risk a little bit of gold over falling asleep at 2:00 am if it means I can go with losing gold, items, AND 10 levels of the mines. (Correct me if the last thing is wrong)

Odin

Staff member
I'm generally careful when playing, so I'll leave the mines well before even midnight or if I run out of food. I'm sure that means I progress a bit slower

Lorekeeper

Farmhand
10 health in mines. I usually don’t really stay out late, so making it home isn’t much of a concern, especially once I have access to the Return Sceptre, plus 1000 gold, while serious in the early game, isn’t really a concern when you start to make more money. Knowing I can make a mistake and lose so much more at any moment, including important items, though, makes things a whole lot more stressful to me.

27dschild

Planter
10 health in mines. I usually don’t really stay out late, so making it home isn’t much of a concern, especially once I have access to the Return Sceptre, plus 1000 gold, while serious in the early game, isn’t really a concern when you start to make more money. Knowing I can make a mistake and lose so much more at any moment, including important items, though, makes things a whole lot more stressful to me.
You can buy back the important items from the adventurers guild