Train annoyance

Rhiannon

Sodbuster
Does anyone else get super annoyed when you drop everything like being in the middle of the first spring planting on the first day of spring, and you get the notice that a train is going through town, you run as fast as your little legs will go and you get absolutely nothing for your trouble? The last 2 out of 3 trains have done this to me. I feel like the train operator should get a stern talking to...

Rhiannon

Sodbuster
I guess I got spoiled on my first train. I got something like 18 geodes from that first train. Since then, I haven't missed a single one and have never had that kind of luck again.

imnvs

Tiller
I only go if I'm nearby already. My farm isn't close enough. In the backwoods north of the farm or the mountains, maybe Robin's? Okay. Anywhere else? Not worth the time and effort.

When close, though, it's worth checking out. I've got some decent stuff, but it often enough drops nothing.

Lew Zealand

Planter
In my current Multiplayer farm, an early Year 1 Summer train seemed to drop nothing but 12 rocks but I patiently waited (read: rested under a tree, the Lazy way) until the interminable thing passed and lo and behold 2 pairs of Leprechaun Boots were revealed on the other side of the tracks. And these were better than the Leather Boots both of us were using at the time, so that was a decent score.

And I look pretty fantastic in green.

starbrite

Farmhand
There's only been one time in my playthrough where the train was useful and dropped a lot of wood for me, but every other time it hasn't ever dropped anything. The only thing I really get out of it is seeing the cool graffiti on it lol.

Anhaga

Sodbuster
In my current Multiplayer farm, an early Year 1 Summer train seemed to drop nothing but 12 rocks but I patiently waited (read: rested under a tree, the Lazy way) until the interminable thing passed and lo and behold 2 pairs of Leprechaun Boots were revealed on the other side of the tracks. And these were better than the Leather Boots both of us were using at the time, so that was a decent score.

And I look pretty fantastic in green.
I've had the Leprechaun boots drop as well . . . that's the carrot that keeps me desperately running back every time I see message. I think I might start keeping mountain totems in my inventory just because.

Odin

Staff member
Yeah, I always ignore the train unless I'm already up in the mountain area or I don't have anything I wanted to get done that day. Especially the later you get in game, the less useful anything it drops will be. It can be fun just to watch it pass by though!