new question

There are fifteen Parsnip seeds available in the gift bundle that Mayor Lewis and Robin leave for you in your house at the start of the game. You can start with them, if you like.

There are other strategies that have been bantered about, however I don't want to pull out the spreadsheets and ruin the magic for you if this is your first time playing.

Widget

Sodbuster
I'm very new to the game; what seed should I plant first and where do I get it? ty
In addition to the good advice you've already gotten, spend every minute picking up rocks (you can break the stones that spawn on your land), cutting weeds (you often get fiber from them), and chopping wood. Forage! Pick the flowers and fruit that spawn in the wild. Sell it all. When you have a little money, go to Pierre's shop and get more seeds. Also watch your energy; you'll end up going to bed for the night at 2:00 in the afternoon, but that's the way it starts.

Rotan

Sodbuster
you'll end up going to bed for the night at 2:00 in the afternoon, but that's the way it starts.
I dont recommend that. You can plan out your day better and do non-energy consuming stuff like cutting grass/foraging/town people friendship. Especially early game dont really wanna do short days.

I usually start with fishing, decent money and you can eat the fish and algae and fish all day.