Minmaxing the early game

Paranoic

Sodbuster
Hey, since I consider myself almost good at minmaxing, I've decided to post my first guide here ^^. It's more or less some of the random stuff I've picked up while doing my minmax runs, so the guide is focused on making the most money in as few in-game days as possible. Feel free to take away as little or as much as you want, there is no "right way" to play the game after all, however following this guide should give you a good head start in your SDV playthroughs.

General tips:
  • Passing out at 2 AM is almost always good. The way passing out works is: you lose 10% of your gold, up to 1000, and your energy restoration is cut in half. Both drawbacks can be negated. If you're careful with your spending and stay close to 0 gold through your early days, you won't lose ANY money upon passing out. And when you level up a skill, you wake up with full energy. Using these two facts you can maximize your productivity at no cost, as long as you stay close to 0 gold and level up skills often - which is easy to achieve early.

• Fishing is amazing in the very early game. Since spring crops are infamously bad when compared to everything else, and your starting budget is low, it's worth considering ditching farming entirely, and instead investing all your time and resources into fishing. Not only do you get instant money, but also you'll level up your fishing skill - meaning even more income in the future. I recommend spending as much time as you can fishing - ideally from 6 AM to 2 AM, as stated above

• Similarly, mining should be a priority as soon as you can enter the mines. Metal bars are important in making progress with upgrades and crafting. As long as you don't need extra money from fishing, all your effort should be put into progressing the mines from day 5 onward - except when you're upgrading your pickaxe. Again, if you plan to go mining, go all out - from 6 AM until you pass out, and focus on hitting as many elevator floors as possible (I might do a separate guide on proper mining someday later if people would want to see it)

• Speaking of upgrades: get them ASAP, there's no point in waiting, and it's the best investement you can do. If you're good at fishing, you can get a fiberglass fishing rod on day 2 and a better backpack on day 4 consistently. After that, pickaxe should be your priority. Then, it depends on your own preference - I like hoe > axe > watering can, as I go into sprinklers as soon as I can

Days 1-5 (from my general minmax routine) in detail (spoiler'd them to spara you the wall of text):

• "Make the most money you can for day 2"
    The plan for day 1 is simple: gather all and any money you can get. Start the day by picking up the starter parsnips, then cut trees until you hit foraging level 1. Make a chest, deposit unnecessary stuff, and go into the world with a hoe, axe, pickaxe and a scythe (the axe and the pickaxe will allow you to enter the two "fiber spots" in the town). Forage all the forageables, scavenge the trash cans, and cut down all the fiber you can - it's all free money. If you see any artifact spots, dig them up - your first artifact donation is worth an extra 250 gold. At the end of the day chop some more trees (eat spring onions, dandelions and leeks for energy if needed) until about 1 AM. After that sell EVERYTHING through the shipping bin (yes, the parsnip seeds too - it's free 150 gold) except for about 100-150 wood for chests. Try to enter your house before 2 AM, so you don't lose 50 gold for passing out outside - this is the only day you should sleep in your bed instead of passing out.

• " Level up your fishing"
    The plan for day 2 is to hit fishing level as high as you can. My own benchmark is level 4, but as long as you do your best you're good to go. If you've followed my day 1 plan, you should have somewhere around 1300 gold on you, and no crops to care for. That means you can drop all your tools into day 1 chest, pick up 50 wood for a new chest, READ THE LETTER FROM WILLY (you have no idea how many resets I've had thanks to not doing that) and head to the beach ASAP. Get your starter fishing rod, and first of: place your chest somewhere safe. From now on, look for easily accessible "bubbles" - they're the best way to gather experience. If there are no "bubbles" nearby, just fish in front of Willy's shop - do MINIMAL casts, as you're not going to catch any good quality fish either way. Always try to perfect the fish, too - it's really hard early on, but possible, and it's a huge boost in fishing exp. At 9 AM enter Willy's shop and purchase the training rod - for only 25 gold you'll have almost guaranteed perfect catches, which, again, is a huge boost in fishing exp. Keep fishing as described until you get level 2 fishing - if Willy's still open, sell all your fish, and buy a fiberglass rod (trash the other ones), about 60-100 bait, and some (at least 1) trout soups. From now on, try to do MAXIMAL casts - now you can catch gold, or even iridium quality fish, which is worth the extra time. If you need energy, eat seaweed and high quality fish before anything else. Before Willy's closes (5 PM) re-stock in trout soups and bait, so you have 0 (or close to 0) gold on you. From now on keep fishing at east side of the pier until you pass out at 2 AM. Level 4 fishing should be consistently possible if you follow these guidelines and catch many perfects. Level 5 depends on luck, however, since you need "bubbles" for it. That said, you should end up this day with a decent fishing level, some trout soups, bait, and fiberglass rod - ready for day 3.

• "Catfishing"
    Day 3 is a guaranteed rainy day - this means catfishes will show up in the river. They're the best income source available, but very hard to catch this early - so if you're not good at fishing, you might want to fish in Mountain Lake instead. Whichever location you choose is up to you, the general idea is to set up the chest in a forest safe spot or mountain safe spot, and fish until you pass out (I assume you know which spots are best to catch quality fish). Use up all the trout soups you have once you hit lvl 5 fishing - it'll guarantee your perfect catches are iridium quality. By the end of the day you should have level 5-7 fishing, and a good supply of high quality fish, be it catfishes or largemouth basses. Overnight pick the "fisher" perk for extra money from fishing.

• "Mountain fishing"
    This day you should be able to buy a backpack upgrade. Go to Willy's with about 2000 gold worth of fish, and fish until he opens. Sell everything you have on you, empty and pick up the chest from day 2 (you can do this without any tools, but you can also bring one with you to make it easier). With any excess money restock on bait and trout soups - again, about 100 bait should last you a good while. If you haven't found any copper ore yet, buy one from Clint - ideally you'll need a furnace on day 5, and you need the ore to unlock the recipe. But a backpack at Pierre's, and head towards the Mountain Lake. From now on it's repeat of the other days - just fish until you pass out. Save iridium and gold quality chubs as food for day 5 - they're one of the best money/energy foods you can get early on.

• "Mining day"
    There are two ways to go about this day - you can try to start upgrading your pickaxe now, or you can just try and progress the mines as much as possible. Since patch 1.4.1 which nerfed explosive ammo I prefer upgrading the pickaxe on day 5, so I'll describe this way in more detail, since it's also more difficult. As always, rush into the mines as soon as you wake up. Take a pickaxe with you, alongside any leftover chests and a fishing rod with some bait. If you plan to upgrade pickaxe on day 5, you'll need to throw all fish you don't sell to Willy to shipping bin on day 4, so you have less carrying now. Rush level 11 in the mines, and re-take the elevator to level 10 until you find a good vein of copper nearby the entrance. Rinse and repeat until you have a furnace smelting 5 copper bars. You should be able to make it to Clint by 4 PM and upgrade your pickaxe, if not, reset the day until you can. After you've successfully upgraded your pickaxe, all there's left is to catch more fish while it's upgrading, as described above. Alternatively, if you don't want to upgrade your pickaxe on day 5, you can just mine from 6 AM to 2 AM and try to get as deep as you can, and get the upgrade on day 6.

That's about it for the very early game. The overall goal depends on you - you can try just chilling after the first couple days, get a lot of strawberries, or rush Skull Caverns for maximum gains. Whatever you do, I hope this guide has helped you on the head start in your new game. Good luck ^^

Last edited:

Tom

Rancher
Nice! I'm not really a minmaxer (whatever that is). But since the value of the forums for stuff like this is peer review, here are my comments:
  • Passing out: What you said. Pass out working every day penniless the first week.
  • Fishing: You need to farm the minimum (13 Parsnips+1 Green Bean+1 Cauliflower on Spring 1 and 40 Kale+1 Potato on Spring 5/6) to up your skill for Summer Pale Ale Kegs. And you need to chop tree (tops only) for Foraging level 3 to get a few tappers on Oak trees by Spring 7. Other than that, yes. You need to fish "all day" Spring 2-4 (even if you are terrible, with Trout Soup and Training Rod if necessary) to level up to 5 (Fisher) as soon as possible for easy fishing and easy money.
  • Mining: Again, there is a lot to do. If you rush too fast to Floor 80 or 120, you can miss important goodies (even swords and rings), and that can backfire. I suggest a leisurely pace of 10 Floors every couple of days, Floor 40 by Spring 14, and Floor 80 by Spring 26 so you can mine gold on 80+ repeatedly for Quality Sprinklers before and once Summer starts.
  • Upgrades: Again, there is a lot to do. Get upgrades on birthdays and during (before) the Egg Festival so you can maximize your "free days" for fishing or mining. I suggest giving Clint your axe on Spring 10 (Vincent BD) and your pick on Spring 12 (upgrade during Egg Festival and pick up on Haley BD).
Days
  • Day 1: Yes. But do plant 13 Parsnips+1 Green Bean+1 Cauliflower. A strategy I like is trading Forage -> gold -> Salad (energy) -> tree tops -> repair bridge tomorrow -> Beach forage -> sell to Willy and up Foraging skill.
Eat Spring Onion, Dandelion, and Leek. Sell Daffodil and Wild Horseradish. Ship Fiber. Chop tree tops only for max Foraging experience until you unlock Tappers.
  • Day 2: Yes. Yes. Yes. Fish early. Fish long. Fish unproductively. Fish unprofitably. Fish, Fish, Fish. Chest under Willy's window. Buy Trout Soup and Training Rod unless you know you don't need them. Notes: No special reward for MAX casts, but make them long unless you are using the Training Rod. Perfect catches give you a quality and experience boost.
  • Day 3: Might be better/simpler to stay by the Fish Shop for time and money management (Trout Soup, Fiberglass Rod, Beach Forage) today.
Version 1.4 changes this significantly by giving you the ridiculously cheap Training Rod when your skill is hopeless. In earlier versions you might go to the Mountain Lake to find easy fish, which costs you time and puts you far from the Fish Shop. Now you stay by your Fish Shop chest under Willy's window, forage the Beach and Tidal Pools, and fish 'til you drop for 3 days.
  • Day 4: Ditto.
  • Day 5: You need copper for Oak Tappers and upgrades. Start alternating fishing and mining. Excessive fishing at the expense of appropriate mining, farming, and chopping is short-sighted.

Last edited:

greyfoggyday

Farmhand
Do you folks save your fish or sell them as soon as possible? I toughed it out to get to Level 5 Fishing within a few days, but in the process saved every single fish I caught. Sold them after I got the Level 5 perk of increased value per fish. It was altogether around 8,000 gold in one fell swoop on the 8th or 9th day of Spring.

Tom

Rancher
I sell them sooner than I should. What you did was cool. Maybe sell enough for Trout Soup and the Fiberglass Rod, though I am not so sure about that. Lots of people say to get the Fiberglass Rod ASAP, and that does level you up faster. Since infrastructure (not money) is really the goal in First Spring (First Week?), maybe they are right. And of course if player's skills are terrible, you need Trout Soup.

edisonian

Greenhorn
Is it advantageous to start the pickaxe upgrade on day 3? You would need to buy a single copper the day before to unlock the furnace, and buy a total of 45 copper and 25 stone. I assume you could get the 25 stone around the farm, so for 45 copper you would need to sell 3375g worth of fish and have time to smelt 5 copper bars and get to the blacksmith by 4pm on day 3.

I don't know how practical that is to achieve. But it would allow you to start mining efficiently on day 5. Is that worth it though? You would be putting off the backpack upgrade.

Also, is it really worth it to be buying so many trout soups? 250g for +1 fishing for a few minutes seems like a poor return.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Is it advantageous to start the pickaxe upgrade on day 3? You would need to buy a single copper the day before to unlock the furnace, and buy a total of 45 copper and 25 stone. I assume you could get the 25 stone around the farm, so for 45 copper you would need to sell 3375g worth of fish and have time to smelt 5 copper bars and get to the blacksmith by 4pm on day 3.

I don't know how practical that is to achieve. But it would allow you to start mining efficiently on day 5. Is that worth it though? You would be putting off the backpack upgrade.

Also, is it really worth it to be buying so many trout soups? 250g for +1 fishing for a few minutes seems like a poor return.
I kind of go back and forth on this, but I think it is good to upgrade the pick on day 3 if you are planning on a pickaxe beeline upgrade. So it would look like
Day 3: Upgrade pick to copper
Day 6: Upgrade pick to iron
Day 8: Upgrade axe/hoe/watering can to copper
Day 10: Upgrade pick to gold

This path requires you to get the iron ore on days 5-6 for the day 6 upgrade and the gold ore on days 8,9,10 for the day 10 upgrade. This is the fastest realistic way to do 3 things,

1. Get to the bottom of the mines
  2. Get a gold pickaxe
  3. Have the money to unlock the Desert on the 11th (so you can do your first Skull Cavern dive, with a gold pick on the 12th).
To actually achieve bottom of the mines and to get the money to both get upgrades and unlock the desert requires you to have multiple rain fishing days AND to catch The Legend fish. I've honestly never been able to catch The Legend fish without an iridium rod but it is possible as I've seen on at least 2 videos (one was Haboo the other was BrandiganBTW). I probably hooked but didn't catch the legend close to 100 times on my last min max run until I gave up. I settled with having just an Iron pick and unlocking the Skull Cavern on the 12th. This is almost as good since it takes 2 hits to break a Skull Cavern rock with either a gold or iron pick but does require you to wait a couple more days to get your eventual iridium pick.

Cptldsilver

Planter

On the extra trout soups, I think one is good if you are going for The Legend since it allows you to go from level 9 to 10 (you can catch The Legend at natural fishing level 9 plus trout soup buff). It takes a really long time to go from level 9 to 10 fishing, probably 1.75 day of full fishing at level 9 assuming normal luck so the trout soup allows you to skip the wait.

Tom

Rancher
Is it really worth it to be buying so many trout soups? 250g for +1 fishing for a few minutes seems like a poor return.
Very early (Spring 2 Year 1) if player's skills are terrible, you need not only Trout Soups, but the Training Rod (Training Rod alone until no longer than Fishing Level 4, then Trout Soup alone). Clearly ditch the training rod ASAP so you can get some stars (gp and exp) on your fish. And ditch the Trout Soup too when you mostly don't need it.

I speak for the everyman, not the minmaxer. The idea here is to help everybody succeed at fishing Spring 2-4 of Year 1, which is The Way to make income (and get unimaginable goodies: rings, gems, artifacts, weapons, oh my!) until Hops (Pale Ale) comes in.

Last edited:

Paranoic

Sodbuster
Honestly, I go training rod + trout soups on each run. It's not about the money, it's about getting as many perfects (for the experience) as it's possible. Without the training rod and with lvl 1 fishing your bar is gonna be too thin to perfect all of the wiggly ocean fish. Basically, day 2 is all about getting exp for day 3 onward, at the expense of money.

Also, at the earlier discussion: I see getting pick upgrade on day 3 as a slow down, unless you're on hilltop or you fished out a lot of copper ore already. When rushing SC money tends to be the bottleneck for me, and a lot of it goes into early gold/silver pickaxe too, so throwing even more into the upgrade is a no-go for me.

Tom

Rancher
Note that the Trout Soup +1 buff does not help until your native green bar plus the soup +1 exceeds the Training Rod green bar. This means the Trout Soup buff doesn't help until you graduate from the Training Rod or until you reach Fishing Level 4. See expanded explanation below:

You'll eventually need to decide when to stop using the Training Rod so you can get more valuable fish (with stars). Use this information: Trout Soup boosts you one level higher. So when you are at level 4 plus Trout Soup, your green bar will finally equal the Training Rod green bar, which is equal to level 5. If you can afford the Fiberglass Rod before then, you may want to switch to it even with a shorter green bar than the Training Rod because of the increased bite rate of a baited rod.