I'm confused about signs

Xcandixkitx

Farmhand
What is the purpose of the sign? How do you use them? The wiki page is not very helpful or I'm just not understanding it. Please explain this to me. As if I'm an idiot.... cuz I feel like one. Lmao. THANKS!!!!

Aine

Planter
The purpose its to demonstrate whats on that area, just a sign to your farm. For example, you can put one next to the cave and, lets say you have a mushroom cave, so you "use" an mushroom on it and it will display a mushroom.

Peggy77

Sodbuster
I don't bother with signs except on fish ponds. With those, make either type of sign then just stick it on a fish pond (the kind Robin builds, not the ponds your farm comes with) and it will automatically tell you what kind of fish you have in the pond and how many there are.

But lots of people use them on chests, crop rows, etc.

herobean28

Greenhorn
I use PC as my platform, so to use a sign you place it, then equip whatever item you want displayed on the sign, then use the item on the sign (mine is right click). The item won't be consumed in the process, either, so you can put whatever your want. I use signs for my fruit trees to label them when they're off season, just so I know which is which. It also helps if you have a big farm, because early in the season the seeds start to all look the same/similar so it helps to use signs to label them until they grow more, and it makes the farm look pretty and organized. Signs are great for organizing chests of you have a lot of them, so you could put signs next to a chest/row of chests to indicate what's in them without having to memorize them or give them color schemes. Basically, just use the signs for labeling things you need labeled so you don't forget what they're for. Hope this helps! (: