How did you find out about Stardew valley?

andrew_c

Greenhorn
Not 100% sure. I like Indie games and I got a game I dont recall on a whim and then My Time At Portia free as a result and loved it, I think Stardew Valley may have been recommended to me because of that, which would be the first time Steam recommendations would be useful. Strange thing is I dont usually enjoy pixel graphics, but I love Stardew Valley.

Boo1972

Farmer
My 2 oldest boys recommended it. They don’t play Stardew Valley, but they thought it seemed like something I’d like. They beat me regularly in, well, every other game we own. I got it for mobile, since I knew I’d never get access to the switch or gaming pc during stay-home orders. But I’m grateful they made the suggestion. I’ve been quite sick since Easter and the recovery long and slow. Being quarantined sucks! The game really has been wonderful.

i have no idea how long I’ve been playing for since I also have to help my 5 year old with all of his saves.

Thrawn

Sodbuster
I saw a friend reblogging posts about Shane on tumblr, and was immediately intrigued by the concept of a character with a love for birds and fighting depression, so I took a poke, and was enchanted immediately, and bought it. Been in love ever since!

Jar

Rancher
heard it being talked about on two podcasts i liked
RT Podcast and the Patch - Gus was on both podcasts, and if Gus likes a game then it must be a good game

am at 566 hrs

nostalgia

Greenhorn
Well, i was looking for new harvest m**n version without luck, and found an article about Stardew Valley, check it on steam, find reviews, explore more reviews on youtube. And here I am, this game reminds me of my childhood lol and it even better than harvest m**n

TobbyLobby

Farmhand
I found it when Damien and Shane from Smosh played it and was instantly in love with it and was working my way up to getting it, I must have gotten a xbox one version of it a couple years after that and then the PC version a couple years later. I just hit the 400 hour mark on my PC

soupyboot

Cowpoke
A few years back my friends told me to buy this game they were super into, I bought it and joined their farm. Initially, I didn't like the game. I joined their farm when it was super developed already and didn't get to enjoy the early game, though months later I gave the game another chance and started my current singleplayer file. And honestly, the rest is history.

It's now one of my favourite games, and I suggest it to almost everyone haha.

I've always been a gamer. So I raised my boys that way too. I had seen preview adds for it and thought it was interesting. It wasn't until my now 16 year old son told me he had it and I would love it that I tried it out. Hooked. I have logged 1,503 hours since. We really enjoy multiplayer but don't get our schedules matched enough or I would be over 1750 by now I suspect.

BattleOrders

Farmhand
I found it on Steam right around the time it came out. I started out by playing HM Back to Nature when that originally came out for the PS1. This is easiest the best $15 i have spent.

Zaphira

Sodbuster
I had it on my creditcard-bill, after buying some games at the GoG-Springsale this year. I didn't remember buying it and looked it up. It said: Stardew Valley Multiplayer-Update. I wanted to refund it, because I didn't own the solo-game-part. The support told me, it's the whole game including the Multiplayerpart. That is just a banner on the icon, to show that this is a complete pack. So I kept it and since I payed for it, started to play. ;)
The GoG launcher tells me, that I have more then 1000 hrs. playtime now.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I judged a book by it's cover.

SDV Youtuber Let's Plays were occasionally suggested in my sidebar but I never clicked on them. I'd heard it was good so I eventually bought it from GOG on a sale but didn't install it.

And the time came when I really needed Something Different™.

So I blindly installed and started playing. No false starts with other games, just directly to SDV. Actually I was hooked just by the title card and music. Didn't even need to play the game before I knew it was The One.

I'm not much of a media binger as I get bored quickly but I ultra-binged Stardew Valley and for weeks got rather less sleep than a responsible adult should be getting.

I've mostly recovered now.

Mostly.

Lorekeeper

Farmhand
I think I heard of it through YouTube myself. Can’t remember whose video I saw that introduced me to it? But I basically looked on from afar for quite some time because I knew it was on PC, but my PC was terrible, and it probably wouldn’t have run it, and I was too apprehensive to try.

Then, however, I eventually heard that it was being released on Switch. If I recall right, I think the YouTuber MasaeAnela was streaming it to celebrate the release?The day after that, I looked it up, bought it, and ended up hooked for a good few months. I ended up seriously crashing for quite some time, but then I re-bought it on Steam recently and ended up hooked again. Especially now, as I have close friends I can play with through that medium.

Lappy

Sodbuster
I'd seen Stardew Valley listed at the top of the iPhone RPG list for a while, but never thought about getting it because it cost more than I'm usually willing to shell out for a mobile game.

At some point early in the quarantine, one of my friends asked for game recommendations on Facebook. Someone else recommended SV, saying he thought she'd really like it because she had previously such-and-such other games (I don't remember which). I decided to look into it more, and figured, if I'm going to be home all day every day for the foreseeable future, that might not be too much to pay anymore - I was going to have a LOT more free time.