After all this time, I am chirping up (but just a wee bit)

shmullster

Greenhorn
Howdy! I am relatively recent to the game (via Steam), but have now played an ungodly amount of hours. I thought I was nearly done, having married every single eligible lady (well, except Emily...she frightens me. I envision a menagerie of odd animals and quiltworks cluttering our home).

Then someone told me about this thing called "mods" and the Expanded mod guaranteed another ungodly amount of time. Okay, fine, I'm lost in this thing now. Happy?

Anyhoo, my suggestions, slow to arrive as they may be, are the following:

1. A side toolbar - I cannot count how many times I am fighting in the mines or caverns and, as I track the creature, my cursor slips into the toolbar at the bottom, having me "equip" a purple mushroom, which, generally, is not good against serpents or slimes. If I could paste that toolbar on the right side of the screen, my life (and battles) would be so much easier.
  2. Disable chat - I don't play multiplayer, so when I click my mouse in a certain spot and it brings up the chat box, it's immensely annoying. Especially since the character is stuck continuing the last action (such as running) until I clear the box. Disabling that feature for solo play would be nice.
  3. More keyboard enabled actions - I find it bizarre that I can select "Y" for Yes in a game action choice but not "N" for No. Similarly, being able to just tap "J" for Jump in a hole in Skull Cavern would be nice, too.
  4. Manual quantity entry - Your name says "Concerned" not "Meanie", so, really? Even holding the right click takes a long while to pull out the quantity you want from a shop or chest (especially construction items like wood or stone). The same goes for putting stuff into chests or selling (shipping or stores). Whoops if you go one too many in "high speed" mode. Being able to enter a quantity would be quicker and nicer.

That's all. I see that mods can take care of a lot of stuff, but I get the impression some of these are core game changes and would require simian enhancements as opposed to legions of talented, but not associated with SDV, fan modders.

(Whoops. I forgot to add the disclaimer: My apologies if some of these have been asked and answered before. Please don't turn my purple mushrooms red!)

Odin

Staff member
Disable chat - I don't play multiplayer, so when I click my mouse in a certain spot and it brings up the chat box, it's immensely annoying. Especially since the character is stuck continuing the last action (such as running) until I clear the box. Disabling that feature for solo play would be nice.
More keyboard enabled actions - I find it bizarre that I can select "Y" for Yes in a game action choice but not "N" for No. Similarly, being able to just tap "J" for Jump in a hole in Skull Cavern would be nice, too.
I'll be honest, hundreds of hours in, I never knew there was a spot you could click to pull up chat or that there were keyboard actions like that. Where in the game can you use "Y" like that?

tommybob

Planter
Manual quantity entry - Your name says "Concerned" not "Meanie", so, really? Even holding the right click takes a long while to pull out the quantity you want from a shop or chest (especially construction items like wood or stone). The same goes for putting stuff into chests or selling (shipping or stores). Whoops if you go one too many in "high speed" mode. Being able to enter a quantity would be quicker and nicer.
Holding shift will buying will turn each tick into 5, this helps for bulk buying a lot.

shmullster

Greenhorn
I'll be honest, hundreds of hours in, I never knew there was a spot you could click to pull up chat or that there were keyboard actions like that. Where in the game can you use "Y" like that?
As far as I can recall, any choice in the game that requires a "Yes" allows you to use the "Y" key. For example "Eat purple mushroom", brings up the Yes/No box and hitting the Y key works there.

shmullster

Greenhorn
Holding shift will buying will turn each tick into 5, this helps for bulk buying a lot.
So, if you hold shift and the right key, does it high speed 5 at a time? Still, a manual entry box would be really nice, so I'll keep the request out there, but that info is very helpful, thanks!

shmullster

Greenhorn
I didn't see 5 at a time. Is it right mouse button + shift key? That didn't do anything different for me.
Aha, it's not right mouse button + shift key, it's shift key + right mouse button. Have to hit the shift key first. Duh. Well, I got it despite my slow brain.

An excellent solution to max quantities, but specific amounts (for building, as an example) would still be nice.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the tip!

shmullster

Greenhorn
Just found out a new thing with the shift/mouse:

In your chests, if you click the left shift button and the right mouse button, it removes exactly half of the amount. I don't know if this is the same with everyone's keyboard, but it worked on any item I tried. Pretty nifty. "Undisclosed feature"?