Marnie Should Sell Animal Products, and Willy Should Sell Fish!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Just a bit of a quality of life suggestion here. If you can grocery shop at Pierre's, then wouldn't it make sense to be able to buy animal products at Marnie's ranch, especially since the player is fully capable of selling such products to her? Given how a good many of these items are needed for Bundles, it would give the player an incentive to always check her shop. Here's a rundown of how common and uncommon I think the products would be:

Always Sells: Regular-sized white and brown eggs, mayonnaise, regular-sized cow milk, and cheese.

Occasionally/Uncommonly Sells: Large white and brown eggs, duck eggs, duck mayonnaise, duck feathers, large cow milk, wool, goat milk, goat cheese, and cloth.

Rarely Sells: Large goat milk, truffles, truffle oil, and rabbit's feet.

Never Sells (because it wouldn't make sense): Void eggs, void mayonnaise, dinosaur eggs, and dinosaur mayonnaise.

For an added bonus, while Marnie would never sell void eggs or void mayonnaise in her shop, I think it'd be neat if there was a random, fairly rare chance (starting at 6+ hearts) for Marnie's dialogue for the day to involve her talking about having found an unusual egg in her coop that seemed to appear overnight, one that she isn't sure that any of her chickens would've laid. She hands the egg to the Farmer in hopes that maybe they can find some use for it, and yes, it's a void egg. This would be a reference to the Witch event where she places a void egg in the Farmer's coop. Additionally, if the Farmer has seen Shane's 8-heart event, then any white eggs purchased from Marnie from that point onward would have a 1/4 chance of hatching a blue chicken when placed in the incubator.

(Scroll down for added suggestions about Willy!)

Last edited:

smor145

Sodbuster
If you can grocery shop at Pierre's, then wouldn't it make sense to be able to buy animal products at Marnie's ranch, especially since the player is fully capable of selling such products to her? Given how a good many of these items are needed for Bundles, it would give the player an incentive to always check her shop. Here's a rundown of how common and uncommon I think the products would be:

Always Sells: Regular-sized white and brown eggs, mayonnaise, regular-sized cow milk, and cheese.

Occasionally/Uncommonly Sells: Large white and brown eggs, duck eggs, duck mayonnaise, duck feathers, large cow milk, wool, goat milk, goat cheese, and cloth.

Rarely Sells: Large goat milk, truffles, truffle oil, and rabbit's feet.

Never Sells (because it wouldn't make sense): Void eggs, void mayonnaise, dinosaur eggs, and dinosaur mayonnaise.

For an added bonus, while Marnie would never sell void eggs or void mayonnaise in her shop, I think it'd be neat if there was a random, fairly rare chance (starting at 6+ hearts) for Marnie's dialogue for the day to involve her talking about having found an unusual egg in her coop that seemed to appear overnight, one that she isn't sure that any of her chickens would've laid. She hands the egg to the Farmer in hopes that maybe they can find some use for it, and yes, it's a void egg. This would be a reference to the Witch event where she places a void egg in the Farmer's coop. Additionally, if the Farmer has seen Shane's 8-heart event, then any white eggs purchased from Marnie from that point onward would have a 1/4 chance of hatching a blue chicken when placed in the incubator.
Love the last idea about the void egg with Marnie! I think that would be super neat. :sebastian: :heart: :frog:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I think a good way to keep this mechanic from being too overpowered would be to have Marnie only sell a set quantity of these items each day. This would add a bit of realism as well, seeing as Marnie probably only has so many animals to get products from. Also, the less common items would probably have hefty prices.

Last edited:

liquidcat

Staff member
I like the idea, we already see robin sell items related to her occupation so why not Marnie! Small things like these would boost immersion a bunch!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I like the idea, we already see robin sell items related to her occupation so why not Marnie! Small things like these would boost immersion a bunch!
Yeah, I always found it odd that Marnie sells animal supplies, but no actual animal products. She enters them in the Fair, so we know that she has them. In a similar vein, this is starting to get me thinking about Willy. His shop says "fish" over the door, and yet he doesn't sell any actual fish, or even fish-based recipes. As such, I think that if Marnie can sell animal products, then Willy should also be able to sell fish. His stock would probably change each day, with certain fish appearing more often than others. Logically, fish would only appear in his shop during their respective seasons, they'd only have a set quantity each day, and he'd never sell mine fish, desert fish, night market fish, legendary fish, slimejack, void salmon, or woodskip. Crab pot catches would probably still be fair game, though.

Last edited:
If this were a thing, I would have my greenhouse A LOT faster than normal. And that's just awesome. Lol I would like this, but some folks would think it could add less difficulty in completing the community center.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
If this were a thing, I would have my greenhouse A LOT faster than normal. And that's just awesome. Lol I would like this, but some folks would think it could add less difficulty in completing the community center.
Oh yes, there would certainly need to be some balancing. Here's how I'd do it:

1. Make the daily stock of Marnie and Willy be completely unaffected by player luck. The odds of certain items appearing remains constant. Starting the day with high luck doesn't make less common items any more likely to appear, and conversely, uncommon items can still very well appear, even if the player starts the day with bad luck.
2. At the start of each day, each shop rolls for a maximum of three items. Marnie's shop sells regular-sized chicken eggs of both colors, chicken egg mayonnaise, regular-sized cow milk, and cow milk cheese every day. However, the game (with the exception of days that her shop is closed) always rolls for a chance to have her sell additional items (listed above). If nothing is rolled (which is the most common outcome), then Marnie will sell no additional stock that day. However, if something is rolled, then it'll roll again until nothing is rolled, capping out at three items maximum. For example, if something is rolled, along with something else, and then nothing after the second roll, then Marnie will sell two items in addition to her regular stock that day. As for Willy, he (with the exception of days that his shop is closed) always rolls for one item each day. This is most frequently common fish (such as a sardines and anchovies), but it can also be a fish-based dish that doesn't increase the player's fishing skill (with the exception of fish stew, which he always sells). After the first item is rolled, subsequent rolls happen. If nothing is rolled after the first guaranteed roll, then nothing aside from the first rolled item will be sold, but if something is rolled, then it'll roll again until it either caps out at three items, or nothing else rolls. The second and third-rolled items have a chance to be a less common (and potentially needed for a Bundle) fish (with the exception of certain fish listed above), or a fish-based recipe that increases the player's fishing level. In addition, fish that are out of season on a particular day cannot be rolled.
3. Markup the prices. For example, you could theoretically buy a sardine from Willy to give to the Junimo, but at the price that he's selling it for, and also considering how common a fish it is, it would probably be in your better interest to just fish for one. This also prevents the player from using an exploit to buy certain items from Marnie and Willy to sell to Pierre or drop in the shipping bin for a profit. Any item they sell that can also be sold to Pierre or shipped off will always be sold for higher than the price that Pierre buys it for, or what is earned when shipping it. You can't just sell the items back to Marnie and Willy for a profit either. Additionally, even if Willy was selling a fish that he challenged the player to catch on the bulletin board, the player cannot simply buy the fish in order to complete the quest. The fish won't register as caught, so the player will actually have to catch the fish themself. And this wouldn't be a practical thing to do to begin with because, at the marked up prices, the player would lose more gold than what is earned from the quest anyways, and not only that, but there's also no guarantee that Willy will be selling enough of the fish.
4. Have Marnie and Willy only sell a certain quantity of their respective items each day. No, if a certain item appears in their shops, the player cannot simply buy as many of the particular item as they want. Once you've bought all of that item, you can't buy any more.

Last edited:

Lappy

Sodbuster
One issue would be if you're working on the community center bundles, access to those items would be very easy. Yes, you'd have to pay for them, but to me, part of the point of the bundles is spending the resources to build a barn and a coop as well as the animals, and building enough friendship with the animals for them to produce the large eggs and milks.

One way to work around this would be for Marnie to sell those items only after the corresponding bundle has been completed, or after the item has been shipped. Another would be to finish some kind of task or quest that would be unlocked after the Animal Bundle (and perhaps the Enchanter's as well) has been finished.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
One issue would be if you're working on the community center bundles, access to those items would be very easy. Yes, you'd have to pay for them, but to me, part of the point of the bundles is spending the resources to build a barn and a coop as well as the animals, and building enough friendship with the animals for them to produce the large eggs and milks.

One way to work around this would be for Marnie to sell those items only after the corresponding bundle has been completed, or after the item has been shipped. Another would be to finish some kind of task or quest that would be unlocked after the Animal Bundle (and perhaps the Enchanter's as well) has been finished.
I think that's an excellent suggestion for how to make this work without making the Bundles too easy to complete. Thanks for the input!

Last edited: