Completing the Greenhouse During the First Year

qaija

Sodbuster
I have read that some people are able to complete building the Greenhouse during their first year of play and I would like to hear from all of you that are able to do it as I am not.

I play with the standard farm. The insurmountable hurdle I have in completing the Greenhouse is to obtain all the requirements for the animal bundle. As I understand it, you need to purchase a large milk from the Traveling cart, which I am almost always able to do. If not, then you need to build a barn as well as a Deluxe coop. I am unable to get enough gold to complete the Deluxe coop before I harvest my second batch of pumpkins near the end of Fall and I have never been able to get a duck feather and a rabbit's foot before spring of year two both of which are required to complete the animal bundle.

If you are able to complete it, please let me know how you do it.

Thanks!

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I think you might be getting a little confused? The animal bundle only requires five out of six items, none of which include rabbit's foot or duck feather. You do need them for other bundles, but not to get the greenhouse.

In my game, I gunned straight for the deluxe coop from the start so I could buy my first rabbit. I'm pretty sure I had that some time during the first fall, so that knocked out four of the five with just coop animals. Getting one milk wasn't too difficult after that.

Edit: I think the holdup for me was the artisan bundle. It took me a while to be able to produce goat cheese.

I'm sure other people could complete it faster than I did by fishing for money. I can't, so I just ran around like a maniac the first year.

Last edited:

Farrow

Sodbuster
Personally, I usually go with the joja route when I wanna just have fun. But it honestly isn't difficult, minmaxing is difficult, but the basic premise from my research is, get barn by end of spring, upgrade through summer and have the coop started by fall, and be getting animals as you go. Obviously the truffle is the reason you focus on the barn first. Hope this helps!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I mostly do joja route and finish everything and am messing around on the island in spring. Times I did cc I took it slow and probably only got it year 2.

chaskuchar

Planter
fall, year 2 and checking with the pig lady every friday and sunday for either large brown egg or large goat milk. i have deluxe barn and deluxy coop but i am not getting anything large and my animals don't have any hearts yet. i try to pet them regularly but no hearts. should i just have stuck with the small coop so i could pet them ev3ery day? now i have lots of money. don't even need the greenhouse to get more funds. red cabbage and melons and pumpkins bring in 100,000 a week.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
That's funny, your animals should have SOME hearts by now. You can still pet them all daily no matter what kind of coop or barn you have. It helps if you shut them in at night, go in first thing in the morning to pet them all, then let them out to eat grass outside.

Elenna101

Farmer
fall, year 2 and checking with the pig lady every friday and sunday for either large brown egg or large goat milk. i have deluxe barn and deluxy coop but i am not getting anything large and my animals don't have any hearts yet. i try to pet them regularly but no hearts. should i just have stuck with the small coop so i could pet them ev3ery day? now i have lots of money. don't even need the greenhouse to get more funds. red cabbage and melons and pumpkins bring in 100,000 a week.
Just checking, are you sure your animals are getting food? Do you have a silo? The deluxe barn/coop should automatically put hay on the feeding bench if you have a silo, before that you need to manually pull out hay and put it on the feeding bench.

Ilune

Planter
I have read that some people are able to complete building the Greenhouse during their first year of play and I would like to hear from all of you that are able to do it as I am not.

I play with the standard farm. The insurmountable hurdle I have in completing the Greenhouse is to obtain all the requirements for the animal bundle. As I understand it, you need to purchase a large milk from the Traveling cart, which I am almost always able to do. If not, then you need to build a barn as well as a Deluxe coop. I am unable to get enough gold to complete the Deluxe coop before I harvest my second batch of pumpkins near the end of Fall and I have never been able to get a duck feather and a rabbit's foot before spring of year two both of which are required to complete the animal bundle.

If you are able to complete it, please let me know how you do it.

Thanks!
money money money
be sure to befriend with Caroline. Daffondylls twice a week, talk with her everyday. At 2 hearts, enter in her garden (the door in the kitchen), she will share some green tea and, the next day, she'll send you the recipe for tea saplings.
At that point, use all your wild seeds, wood and fiber to make tea saplings, and sell them.
BOOM, money. You can have delux barn, coop and all the animals before the end of fall, if you work on forage wood, fiber (in mines, when you finish the plants around the map) and plants to make the wild seed.
ah, for the large milk, you need an affectionate cow, not the delux barn. The basic barn is ok, but be sure your cows have got forage, can roam outside and have the hay inside. Buy a heather for the winter, in fall, and build a silo to storage hay!

So, the seasonal bundles are pretty easy. Plant crop, profit. The quality crops bundle can be deceptive, because you need five gold-star crops. I like to get this out of the way with a large Parsnip plot early Spring for five gold-star parsnips, then melons and corn in the summer to complete this bundle before fall. However, it's generally more profitable to plant potatoes or kale instead of parsnips in the spring and go for melons, corn, and pumpkins. YMMV.

So let's get to the two elephants in the room that most people have issues with: Artisan and Animal.

Artisan requires six slots. Since you're needing animals anyway for the other bundle, the cheese and goat cheese are freebies. Since processing produce promotes profit peaking, preserves are painfully plentiful. Honey is also fairly trivial to obtain. So that's four out of six already. You're going to want an Apple tree for the three apples for the Fodder Bundle elsewhere, so as long as you plant your apple tree before the final week in Summer, you'll have that one as well. So that's five, leaving one more. Picking Fruit Bats for your cave selection can result in any of the fruit tree fruits appearing, thus solving this bundle entirely. Failing that, recycling newspapers can net you Cloth to complete the bundle.

Now for the Animal bundle. You only need five slots filled. Large Milk, Goat's Milk, Brown and White Eggs are absolutely trivial. The goat's milk requires an upgrade to your barn, but you'll want a goat for the artisan bundle anyway. That's four out of five solved. For the final, I'd just suggest a Duck Egg. Getting your second upgrade on both barn and coop isn't going to break your bank to get done in the first year, and ducks will lay eggs even indoors in the winter.

Ta and/or Da. Completion is technically possible as early as mid-fall, as soon as the Pumpkin comes up, even without cart vendor luck.

Instead of the quality crops bundle, I had the rare crops bundle. I didn't have an ancient seed yet, and the sweet gem berry takes 24 days to grow! So I was lucky to buy a seed right at the beginning of fall.

Instead of the quality crops bundle, I had the rare crops bundle. I didn't have an ancient seed yet, and the sweet gem berry takes 24 days to grow! So I was lucky to buy a seed right at the beginning of fall.
I keep forgetting there's an alternate bundle selection available in 1.5. But given the OP specifically called out the animal bundle, I assumed he was using the default bundles.

Arithonne

Tiller
Emily can gift you cloth or wool, so get her friendship up as quickly as possible for those items for the artisan or animal bundle.

For money, hops is an easy way to early financial independence. As soon as you unlock the crafting recipe for tappers, make some and tap some oak trees. I like to start with the two at the bus stop. The earlier you start tapping oak trees, the fewer you have to tap to have a good supply of oak resin to make kegs once you unlock that recipe. Hops starters are cheap, so you don't need a lot of money for Summer 1, once grown they produce every day, and they take less than two full days to make pale ale in a keg, so once you have kegs you'll have a nice regular infusion of cash. You do need level 8 farming to unlock kegs, so that's the sticking point.

If you don't think you can hit farming level 8 before the end of summer, blueberries are a good summer crop to sell unprocessed for regular infusions of cash.

MissDandy

Farmer
When I grind for cash in year one I focus on the three big crops: melons, cauliflower and pumpkins. I use tree fertilizer to make all my trees grow faster so I never have to buy wood for upgrades, then for the coop the only concern is money. You can also start making a few wines and types of honey, and if you get find an ancient fruit seed early on, get that going as fast as you can. I can usually find one in the mines if I look long enough. If you ask me, grinding is the key. If I have an objective such as the one you have set for yourself here, I try and plan my weeks out in game so that I know exactly how much gold I'll make and how much I spend. It works not bad.

Farrow

Sodbuster
When I grind for cash in year one I focus on the three big crops: melons, cauliflower and pumpkins. I use tree fertilizer to make all my trees grow faster so I never have to buy wood for upgrades, then for the coop the only concern is money. You can also start making a few wines and types of honey, and if you get find an ancient fruit seed early on, get that going as fast as you can. I can usually find one in the mines if I look long enough. If you ask me, grinding is the key. If I have an objective such as the one you have set for yourself here, I try and plan my weeks out in game so that I know exactly how much gold I'll make and how much I spend. It works not bad.
Just a tip, you make more money per day with, potatoes and blueberries than melons and cauliflower, it's only a few extra gold but it adds up when your farming on a mass scale

qaija

Sodbuster
money money money
be sure to befriend with Caroline. Daffondylls twice a week, talk with her everyday. At 2 hearts, enter in her garden (the door in the kitchen), she will share some green tea and, the next day, she'll send you the recipe for tea saplings.
At that point, use all your wild seeds, wood and fiber to make tea saplings, and sell them.
BOOM, money. You can have delux barn, coop and all the animals before the end of fall, if you work on forage wood, fiber (in mines, when you finish the plants around the map) and plants to make the wild seed.
ah, for the large milk, you need an affectionate cow, not the delux barn. The basic barn is ok, but be sure your cows have got forage, can roam outside and have the hay inside. Buy a heather for the winter, in fall, and build a silo to storage hay!
I knew nothing about tea saplings. Thanks for this! I plan to try it in my next game.

Sigrah

Farmer
I knew nothing about tea saplings. Thanks for this! I plan to try it in my next game.
Just make sure you plant plenty of spring seeds. I always aim to have 50 spring seeds planted on Spring 6, Year 1 and replant them every harvest so I have enough spring seeds to sell 50,000g worth of tea saplings in the last couple days of Spring. Also harvest fiber from weeds you find in the mines, I can typically accumulate what I need between that, clearing them around the farm, and clearing the town + cindersap.

qaija

Sodbuster
"Just make sure you plant plenty of spring seeds. I always aim to have 50 spring seeds planted on Spring 6, Year 1 and replant them every harvest so I have enough spring seeds to sell 50,000g worth of tea saplings in the last couple days of Spring. Also harvest fiber from weeds you find in the mines, I can typically accumulate what I need between that, clearing them around the farm, and clearing the town + cindersap".

This is going to be an entirely different approach to how I have always played during Spring of the first year. I usually plant parsnips and sell everything I forage to purchase more seeds!

It may take me a few games to get the hang of it, but I'm looking forward to it and comparing the results to what I have done in the past.

chaskuchar

Planter
on this new game i decided to build the big coop. now i am in winter 5, year 1. i just need some wool to get the greenhouse and just completed building the bridge. i just need the wool or large brown egg to complete the animal item. don't have a lot of money yet beecause of the coops but i think that is a good way to go. i like the tea idea though.

i got the wool from the rabbit on winter 12, year 1 to complete the greenhouse.

Last edited:

MissDandy

Farmer
Just a tip, you make more money per day with, potatoes and blueberries than melons and cauliflower, it's only a few extra gold but it adds up when your farming on a mass scale
Now that you say that, yes it's true, but since the larger crops take a while to grow, it can be more convenient to grow them as the take less maintenance as well. Less planting, picking, etc. If you don't have a lot else going on, then this would be a better strategy.