which farm?

Tinks

Planter
I like the classic standard farm. It's great. Lots of space. It's an empty canvas. Perhaps one could argue it's not as interesting as some of the other layouts, but I've played the most on that one, and it's still my overall favorite.

That being said, the other farm types have their benefits and appeal.

I would also recommend either Four Corners or Forest as well as other good layouts.

This is my standard farm if you'd like to look at possible inspiration to help you pick a layout.

Love that!

How do you get the animals outside the coop/barn area? I got my first coop in one game and its just a little coop with a tiny area outside area of its own. I only just got the baby hen so it was its first day but I assumed it only went into the fenced area attached to the coop? I want ducks in my pond area (in both games eventually) if you can get them and for them to be able to swim in it.

Do I have to fence an area off first before putting a coop/barn there so they can come out into a larger area?

Thanks

Reactions: Tom

Tinks

Planter
4-Corners, I have to back this up, is a wonderful starter farm. You get free hardwood and free mining nodes, including nodes you can't find anywhere else. It is like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.

Yeah I collected the copper and got the furnace already on the 4 corners farm... just need more clay for the first silo then I can clear the excess grass, leave some for the animals and fence off where they are going to go. Not sure what animals I'm going with on this one but I thought one of Penny's favourites gifts was milk so was gonna get cows first or goats/sheep (if they give milk?) depending what I can afford!...money is going up really slowly...it's gonna take me forever to get 10,000 for the kitchen!

can the plants that say 'fibre' (look like weeds next to the stones and branches) after you cleared them be used for animal feed too???

Hazy

Farmhand
Love that!

How do you get the animals outside the coop/barn area? I got my first coop in one game and its just a little coop with a tiny area outside area of its own. I only just got the baby hen so it was its first day but I assumed it only went into the fenced area attached to the coop? I want ducks in my pond area (in both games eventually) if you can get them and for them to be able to swim in it.

Do I have to fence an area off first before putting a coop/barn there so they can come out into a larger area?

Thanks
I build the barns and then craft fences and place them down according, then I buy the animals. The crafting only takes 1 wood, 1 stone, 1 iron, or 1 hardwood depending on the time of fence you build and the materials you have available. That's generally how I do it. Hardwood fences are obviously the best since the take the longest to decay, but in the beginning it's easier to use materials you have more of and just replace the fences when they eventually break. In general, when I'm planning out barns and coop placement, I'll try to think of how I can be most efficient with the fences. On the four corners farm, I placed all my coops and barns in the area that has the bigger farm since I read that's the map you are playing on, and then I made fences at the entrance area of that quadrant with gates to keep them contained.

blossomfarm.png

This farm is not nearly as far along as my other one because it's only in year 1, where as the other is year 6.

Ereo

Helper
Love that!

Thanks
The animals do not go into the small fenced area that comes with the coop, it's just decoration.

If you open the gate next to the door, your animals will go through that.
Fences are optional, if you want to keep them contained. They'll be just as happy roaming through the whole farm. They might get in your way when tending crops, that's why some people fence them.
Yeah I collected the copper and got the furnace already on the 4 corners farm... just need more clay for the first silo then I can clear the excess grass, leave some for the animals and fence off where they are going to go. Not sure what animals I'm going with on this one but I thought one of Penny's favourites gifts was milk so was gonna get cows first or goats/sheep (if they give milk?) depending what I can afford!...money is going up really slowly...it's gonna take me forever to get 10,000 for the kitchen!

can the plants that say 'fibre' (look like weeds next to the stones and branches) after you cleared them be used for animal feed too???
No, animals only eat grass and hay. You can use fibre to craft grass starters though.

Boo1972

Farmer
I love Wickedy, especially her accent! My current playthrough is my first new one just playing the game in a year but it feels like I have way more money on this Forest Farm thanks to the Tea Saplings than in previous playthroughs. I was into early Summer Year 1 when I saw Wickedy's video so I'd accumulated a lot of the needed materials, especially as I'd only planted Veggies and Fruit and had finished some of the relevant Community Center bundles. When I converted those to Tea Saplings, well, I just bought the last Backpack upgrade, Iridium Rod, and first Coop upgrade that day. And easily upgraded the Coop and Barn once more each. Really what I'm short of nowadays is Wood, not g. Hence why my Farm looks like this right now:

All other trees on the maps are cut down and I need to plant more here or at the Train Crossing.

Edit: my typical Facepalm 🤦‍♀️, I didn't realize I was in the same thread with the same pic. I'll just leave this here to remind myself to open my eyes a little more next time... Sheesh.......
I thought wood might be the biggest pain, especially early on when you need so much. I’m trying the strategy on the standard farm- lots of space for lots of trees.

Honestly, I’ll probably just buy wood from Robin.

Tinks

Planter
I've made good progress on 4 corners farm this morning...got my silo, got the bigger backpack too.... cleared some more land for crops and its unlocked the sprinkler in crafting..what do I make iron bars from??? don't think I've found any iron yet!... just copper, and stone.

oh managed to upgrade my tree axe so I can chop the hardwood on the farm, deciding whether to upgrade the mining axe next or use the money to get a barn and get some cows on it making milk to sell? which brings in most money eggs, milk or wool?

Struggling with the fishing not levelling up at all with that...it worked first time when they show you how but just not getting anything even with the training rod! :hmph:

Seemed to have progressed faster on 4 corners farm I think its cos of the extra copper on the farm and being able to upgrade tools (still got first tools on forest farm and no silo, was struggling to get the 20 copper and haven't got the furnace yet to make bars in that game)

Ereo

Helper
Iron is found deeper in the mine.

I usually upgrade the pickaxe first, because that is what makes finding ore quicker, so it's easier to upgrade the other tools too.

Milk is more expensive than eggs. For wool, I think you need to upgrade the barn first.

For beginner fishers I recommend the lake in front of the mine. If has some fairly easy fish.

Tinks

Planter
Iron is found deeper in the mine.

I usually upgrade the pickaxe first, because that is what makes finding ore quicker, so it's easier to upgrade the other tools too.

Milk is more expensive than eggs. For wool, I think you need to upgrade the barn first.

For beginner fishers I recommend the lake in front of the mine. If has some fairly easy fish.
Thanks I'll upgrade the pickaxe next then and try fishing in front of the mine.

imnvs

Local Legend
Sheep and rabbits give wool, and both require you upgrade the building they are housed in. To get sheep requires the barn be upgraded twice, or all the way. For rabbits, it's the same for the coop, gotta go all the way.

As for me, I only upgrade my barn to deluxe for the autofeeder and pigs. I don't want to have to get shears to shear my sheep for their wool. I'd rather just get rabbits because they also give rabbits' feet and don't require a tool to harvest. And if you skip buying the shears, you won't have to store them forever (because you can't get rid of tools). I'll be honest, it takes longer to acquire a stock of cloth by only going with rabbits for wool, but I'll be even more honest... a deluxe coop full of rabbits (I generally shoot for this) is an average of 3 production/day, likely 2 wool 1 foot. 2 wool/day is 2 cloth/day... or 56 cloth/month... 224 cloth/year. It won't take you too long to build the 1 mill you need, and after that you'll eventually be swimming in wool/cloth unless you tailor it all away. Its only other use is for dressed spinners, and those have limited usefulness considering both trap bobbers and cork bobbers exist.

As for tools you can upgrade? I think just about everybody upgrades the pickaxe first unless they have a really good reason, and that reason is usually because they really want the ability to chop up logs. You've seen them on your farm. You've also seen boulders too, and those require the steel pickaxe. In fact, on the 4-Corners, getting both a steel axe and steel pickaxe allows you much freer access between the farm's quadrants, obviating the need for so much travel through the very center of your farm to get anywhere. The stumps, logs and boulders include some blocking a quick connect between each adjacent quadrant, so that's something I'd shoot for...

...but as was already mentioned, you'll need to get deeper into the mines to get yourself some iron. You'll need to get a bit further still for gold. You get bars of those the same as you get bars of copper with the furnace.

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
Sheep and rabbits give wool, and both require you upgrade the building they are housed in. To get sheep requires the barn be upgraded twice, or all the way. For rabbits, it's the same for the coop, gotta go all the way.

As for me, I only upgrade my barn to deluxe for the autofeeder and pigs. I don't want to have to get shears to shear my sheep for their wool. I'd rather just get rabbits because they also give rabbits' feet and don't require a tool to harvest. And if you skip buying the shears, you won't have to store them forever (because you can't get rid of tools). I'll be honest, it takes longer to acquire a stock of cloth by only going with rabbits for wool, but I'll be even more honest... a deluxe coop full of rabbits (I generally shoot for this) is an average of 3 production/day, likely 2 wool 1 foot. 2 wool/day is 2 cloth/day... or 56 cloth/month... 224 cloth/year. It won't take you too long to build the 1 mill you need, and after that you'll eventually be swimming in wool/cloth unless you tailor it all away. Its only other use is for dressed spinners, and those have limited usefulness considering both trap bobbers and cork bobbers exist.
I hadn't thought of taking it that far to be honest. The NPC who likes sewing....does she work in your mill if you marry her and make all the cloth?

Reactions: Tom

imnvs

Local Legend
Oh, by the bye, check the edit of the post you quoted, as I added just a little bit.
I hadn't thought of taking it that far to be honest. The NPC who likes sewing....does she work in your mill if you marry her and make all the cloth?
No, in fact no spouses "work" on the farm in any way you can rely on. Once married to someone, though, they will occasionally help out, and if they do they'll be standing on the porch when you walk out of the house having already done what they did to help... and if you talk to your spouse before they go off to do other things, they'll tell you what chores they helped out with too.

As for taking it that far... that's nothing compared to what some people do with pigs. Srsly, there are folks that will do multiple deluxe barns all full of pigs. It can make some pretty decent money, but I'm not a fan of having that many animals. 2 barns and 2 coops is the max for me.

Tinks

Planter
gonna have to forget iron ore and sprinklers for a while.... you have to be past level 40 to find it... I'm only on the first 5 and the lift is out of order!

That's annoying I've just wasted the 2,000g on the pickaxe, as it will be months before I reach level 40 in the mines those green things keep killing me then I lose some stuff and money cos Linus has to rescue me!

Tom

Farmer
I leave barn and coop roll-up doors open all the time. Animals are happier eating grass than hay, and they need to freely go back in at night so as not to be attacked. The reasons for fences are a) so you can find your animals easily, b) so they don't get in your way, and c) to control the growth of grass, and d) aesthetics.

Also, I second rabbits over sheep. Rabbit's feet and wool! Nearly a coop full of them (about 9). They are so cute!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I leave barn and coop roll-up doors open all the time. Animals are happier eating grass than hay, and they need to freely go back in at night so as not to be attacked. The reasons for fences are a) so you can find your animals easily, b) so they don't get in your way, and c) to control the growth of grass, and d) aesthetics.

Also, I second rabbits over sheep. Rabbit's feet and wool! Nearly a coop full of them (about 9). They are so cute!
And a third for Rabbits for Feet and Wool! I only bought Sheep on my initial playthrough until I realized you get Wool from Rabbits, too. One less Sheep means one more cute, pink, roly-poly, Truffle-snufflin' Pig!

Ereo

Helper
gonna have to forget iron ore and sprinklers for a while.... you have to be past level 40 to find it... I'm only on the first 5 and the lift is out of order!

That's annoying I've just wasted the 2,000g on the pickaxe, as it will be months before I reach level 40 in the mines those green things keep killing me then I lose some stuff and money cos Linus has to rescue me!
You unlock the lift as you go. There's a lift level every five levels, so once you reach five, you can start there the next time! Mining and combat get easier as you practice.

Tinks

Planter
well I have 4 ponds all fenced off as one big nature enclosure ready for my ducks. I don't want cows on this farm... can I get round it by just buying a barn then upgrading it without putting any other animals in first? ..buy standard barn leave it in the enclosed area no animals in it...save up for upgrade then buy the ducks???

Ereo

Helper
well I have 4 ponds all fenced off as one big nature enclosure ready for my ducks. I don't want cows on this farm... can I get round it by just buying a barn then upgrading it without putting any other animals in first? ..buy standard barn leave it in the enclosed area no animals in it...save up for upgrade then buy the ducks???
Ducks don't go in the barn. Ducks go in the upgraded coop.

Tinks

Planter
And a third for Rabbits for Feet and Wool! I only bought Sheep on my initial playthrough until I realized you get Wool from Rabbits, too. One less Sheep means one more cute, pink, roly-poly, Truffle-snufflin' Pig!

Lol! well I have 2 farms on the go.

The 4 corners farm I have put cows on for the milk. My intention was to have sheep too on that one.

My Forest Farm just has 2 chickens on at the minute but I had fenced off all the lakes as there's 4 and its perfect for a duck enclosure! I'd be open to have rabbits on here for wool as I have another small area off to the side. I was also thinking maybe goats if they have them for milk..instead of cows.

Are things like Llhama's or Alpaca's available in this game? I thought they'd be good for wool instead of sheep on one farm. But I don't know if they are an option? only have chickens showing in FF game when visit Marnie's shop and cows showing in Kenny's Farm game.

Tinks

Planter

As for tools you can upgrade? I think just about everybody upgrades the pickaxe first unless they have a really good reason, and that reason is usually because they really want the ability to chop up logs. You've seen them on your farm. You've also seen boulders too, and those require the steel pickaxe. In fact, on the 4-Corners, getting both a steel axe and steel pickaxe allows you much freer access between the farm's quadrants, obviating the need for so much travel through the very center of your farm to get anywhere. The stumps, logs and boulders include some blocking a quick connect between each adjacent quadrant, so that's something I'd shoot for...

...but as was already mentioned, you'll need to get deeper into the mines to get yourself some iron. You'll need to get a bit further still for gold. You get bars of those the same as you get bars of copper with the furnace.
but if you've got chickens in the co-op and then upgrade it do you have chickens and rabbits in the same coop then? I was thinking they'd need a seperate house?