Slime Hutch vs Cellar

smor145

Sodbuster
I am getting into late-game territory. I am starting to need a lot of money. I am debating between a slime hutch or a cellar. Thoughts?

imnvs

Local Legend
Actually, I should clarify. By "expensive fruits to put in them" I was talking about your kegs.

When it comes to casks in your cellar, it's Starfruit or Ancient Fruit for me, but if you're not able to fill your cellar with wines made from those, cheese is your next best option.

In fact, to make things easier for everyone, by gold per day, the top 5 things to put in your cellar and how much gold/day increase in value you see for each:
#1: Starfruit wine, 40.2 gold per day
#2: Ancient Fruit wine, 29.5 gold per day
#3: Goat Cheese, 28.6 gold per day
#4: Cheese, 16.4 gold per day
#5: Pineapple wine, 16.1 gold per day

Also, cheeses only take 2 weeks in the cask, and that's what pushes the gold/day for them up into the top 5. Some folks like that they can mix things up more often by doing cheeses. Others prefer the hands-off approach to waiting 2 seasons for wine to age. It's up to you.

Boo1972

Farmer
@imnvs gave you excellent advice as usual. I would add to make more casks for your cellar. Some people actually fill the whole basement with casks, loading them with wine as they go. I prefer walking room. It’s also fun starting out to have sections to age a few different products, just to see what you enjoy. My first farmer aged goat cheese and wine, but now it’s exclusively star fruit wine.

As for slime hutches, they don’t require much work, the money from slime eggs is pretty good, and slimes need nothing from you now that sprinklers will work in the hutch. You can even breed a variety of interesting colors of slime. I managed to get a sort of rare white slime. I killed them all and destroyed the hutch anyway. The slime hutch is too big, the aesthetics didn’t fit my farm, and there are things I’d rather do.

Are you married? If you want to have fun with slimes hatch a few in your bedroom.:happy:

Edit: after ready imnvs and shneekey’s posts I realized money is what you are after. Yeah, hands down the cellar or just processing in general. One thing some people do is build a slime hutch just to destroy it. Then any slime you kill has a 1% chance of dropping a slime egg. If you’re killing a lot of tiger slimes it might be fun to do. their eggs are worth 8,000g (I hope I got this right) but it’s never going to be extremely profitable.

Last edited:
Honestly? If you're wanting money, then neither of them are going to help. Both are toys that are little more than a drop in the bucket. If you want cash, get your Greenhouse set up and enough sheds to be able to process the entirety of your greenhouse's yield. That'll get you between a million and a million and a half per season, which is enough to at least get you started. But, if you simply wish to compare the cost benefits of aging vs slime hutch, the cellar for aging casks is going to be the winner hands down.

If you aren't familiar, here's a breakdown of using the greenhouse to make you millions

Assuming that you are going with the fairly trivial layout with the most modest profit margins, and simply fill your entire greenhouse with 104 Ancient Fruit, with the remaining spaces taken up by Iridium Sprinklers and the fruit trees. You're actually going to start with the fruit trees, either Peach or Pomegranate (or some combination if you wish). You'll be planting 30 of them in a grid. And you'll be wanting to wait for them to fully mature before planting anything else. This is an entire season where the greenhouse lies fallow, but it is an unfortunate necessity given that they will not grow if anything, such as crops or sprinklers, are adjacent to them. However, they are the single most profitable thing to grow in a greenhouse by a large margin once processing is done.

You'll need one big shed with 104 kegs to keep up with Ancient Wine production, as Ancient Fruit produces fruit weekly and requires a week to brew, leaving you with a simple 1:1 ratio. To process the fruit trees, you can start off with a big shed with 90 Preserves Jars. This is a less exact calculation, and you will occasionally find some of them idle, but this will permit you to wait two days and only harvest every third day and still be able to process the whole batch in one go, making it the best compromise between convenience and efficiency.

So let's talk about how much profits you can expect from this setup. All numbers assume that you have the Artisan perk. Because let's face it, if you care even a little about money, that's going to be the perk you have when you start selling your final products. There is a trick I'll get into in just a bit about min/maxing your perks, but even with this little trick, you won't actually be selling anything while you have Agriculturalist active.

Ancient Wine sells for 2,310g/ea. Given that it takes a week to grow/brew, we divide by seven to get our daily profits, which come to 330g/day.

Starfruit, on the other hand, takes two weeks to grow and yields 3,150g/ea. But we also have to subtract the seed cost from the gross to find our net profit per unit, so 3150-400= 2,750, which brings the daily profits down to 196 and change per day. Even if you use Deluxe Speed Gro and a 10 day cycle, you're still only looking at 275/day, compared to Ancient Fruit's 330g/day. So while it's not bad, it's also not competitive in the face of Ancient Fruit.

But Peach and Pomegranate Preserves? Well, fruit trees produce one fruit *daily*. Peach/Pomegranate Preserves sell for 461g/ea. Which leaves us with a daily profit of... you guessed it, 461g/day. Which is why we focus on these.

All told, with this fairly minimalist setup, your profits will be as follows: (30 fruit trees * 461g/ea/day = 13,830g/day) + (104 ancient fruit * 330g/ea/day = 34,320g/day) = 48,150g/day in profits. Yes, you'll be bringing in close to 50k *per day*. And only really need to enter your greenhouse two or three times per week.

There is a more work intensive greenhouse layout that requires daily tending, but produces even higher profits per day due to the use of Hops which are worth 420g/day/ea, and also goes to show that if you get a metric ton of additional kegs to brew the peaches or pomegranates into wine, you can get even higher profits.

Right. So now that we've gone over that, let's calculate how much the cellar will contribute to that total.

We're going to be looking at Ancient Wine to age since that is the highest dollar item you'll be brewing from your greenhouse. Now, unfortunately, your biggest constraint is space and time. You can ONLY age in the cellar itself, which has a strictly limited space you can put aging caks in. There's a couple of ways to min/max this, but if you want a setup you can actually walk through that doesn't involve you tearing everything down every other season, you can fit roughly 120 casks in your cellar before running out of space. And it will take two seasons to fully process. Which means you'll only be able to age a tiny fraction of your total yield, little more than a week's worth every two months.

Iridium Wine sells for twice what normal Wine does. So in effect, you're doubling the number of wine you get per cask in two months. So in two months, you get an 'extra' 120 Ancient Wine at 2,310g/ea or a total of 277,200g. Which sounds like a lot until you take into consideration that is amortized over two months, for a daily take of (divide by 28 for seasonal yield then divide by 2 again for daily yield) 4,950g/day. Roughly a tenth of your daily take from your greenhouse itself. It's not nothing, but by the time you are in a position to set it up, it's also little more than the icing on the cake.

Still, it is far and away more profitable than a slime hutch. So if you are trying to decide between Hutch or Cellar, and money is your sole concern, Cellar is at least worth the investment.

imnvs

Local Legend
Ultimately, @ShneekeyTheLost makes a good point (though I think he disregarded starfruit unfairly and got the number of casks that can fit in a cellar wrong). For example, on one of my farms I do not make most of my money from the 125 starfruit wine I age every 2 months. (And yes, 125 is the maximum amount of casks in a cellar while allowing for walkways through the whole mess for PC because we can reach corners.) That's a total of 281250g every 2 months, or 35156.25g per week. I make over 1M per week in wine that doesn't go in my cellar.

The issue with Shneekey's point, though? It isn't addressing the actual question asked here. The cellar still generates more profit, when used well, than the slime hutch.

PookieDoodle

Rancher
A little of the subject of slime hutches vs. cellars, but on the subject of making money. How about harvesting tea leaves to keg? I grow them in garden pots which doubles as fences. I have 60 of them. Every 20 days or so through three seasons, I run along and collect all the leaves, then keg them. Each cup of tea is worth 100g. So, for me that's 36,000 gold in Spring, Summer and Fall. Best thing is, after you get the recipe ingredients are free for the harvesting.

Ultimately, @ShneekeyTheLost makes a good point (though I think he disregarded starfruit unfairly and got the number of casks that can fit in a cellar wrong). For example, on one of my farms I do not make most of my money from the 125 starfruit wine I age every 2 months. (And yes, 125 is the maximum amount of casks in a cellar while allowing for walkways through the whole mess for PC because we can reach corners.) That's a total of 281250g every 2 months, or 35156.25g per week. I make over 1M per week in wine that doesn't go in my cellar.

The issue with Shneekey's point, though? It isn't addressing the actual question asked here. The cellar still generates more profit, when used well, than the slime hutch.
The problem is you have no place to plant Starfruit to then age without also completely destroying your actual profits. By planting starfruit anywhere instead of ancient fruit, you lose far more money than you could gain from aging since you can only age a tiny fraction of the total wine produced. So no, I think I very fairly disregarded starfruit as you have nowhere to plant them without sacrificing weekly profits, which is 90%+ of your income.

Planting outside, you swapsies out your capstone perk for a day on Spring1 and plant as much Ancient Fruit as you can on DSG, and reap *millions* ahead of what you could possibly hope to make from a single season's yield of Starfruit.

In either case, Starfruit is penny wise and pound foolish.

Furthermore, his post was explicitly "I need money". So while I also did answer the question 'which gives more money' by answering 'cellar', I also showed him how to make the money he's needing, which I felt was far more relevant and useful to him.

Don't forget you can switch back and forth between agriculture and artisan perks. If you save up those bottles every two months including what doesn't fit woot you can flood the market with booze......don't ride the bus anytime soon though

smor145

Sodbuster
Oh goodness. Look at all these replies. I will definitely go for the cellar. I have my greenhouse all finished, so I will build some more sheds to really milk that system. Someone asked if I was married... yes to Seb. Thank you for your input everyone!