What's your "lesson learned" from the start?

Septima

Farmhand
Moving on from my first (and currently only) farm, I got to thinking about all the things I know how to do now (like not picking Riverlands layout without ever playing before...). That said, what are your most prominent "lesson learned" thoughts when you really started getting into the game?

tommybob

Planter
Gather as much wood as you can in the first year and stop about 2 weeks before Winter so all the trees around the map grow back as they don't grow in winter.
During winter i generally build, upgrade my farm and build kegs and preserves jars so wood is essential!

greyfoggyday

Farmhand
Energy is not your only resource, Time and Bag Space are resources as well, make sure you utilize them effectively. When leaving your farm, deposit all non-essential items into a chest to save bag space if you plan to fish, gather, or head into the mines.

jacky

Cowpoke
uh luckily im a crazy person so i saved up with over 100,000 worth of fish in my first year and it helped out a decent bit so learning to stock up proved to be pretty important

greyfoggyday

Farmhand
Learn to fish. I hated fishing in the beginning and my first winter was rough. After really learning, a huge source of income during downtime or winter was based on my fishing capability.
Yeah. Fishing for me was quite a slog. I came from playing World of Warcraft and fishing in that game is insanely easy.

Tom

Farmer
My very first lesson (regret)? Yeah, probably watering/overplanting. Now—many other lessons later—I plant only 15 (13 Parsnip, 1 Green Bean, and 1 Cauliflower) on Spring 1 and 40 (39 Kale and 1 Potato) on Spring 6. And I spend Spring 2-4 fishing long unfruitful hours to get to level 5 Fisher (money!).

After that, probably to never miss a birthday.

The other lessons (use a calendar (see Sample and Blank PDFs and Sample wiki version), what to save, what to sell, what to plant, what to build, how fast to mine to Floor 80, Coop vs. Barn, Pale Ale, etc.) come much more slowly.

Last edited:

Chaya7

Planter
Watch TV each and every day. Store a little of everything in chests even if you need money, because at some point soon, nearly everything will become important in crafting, quests, gifting, or for use in making a buff. In the mines, eat constantly, keep your eye on the clock, and know when to use staircases.

Oh...and cut the grass! I had no idea that the grass grew faster the more you cut it. So the first winter it was pretty scary for the animals...

Last edited:

Peggy77

Sodbuster
You don't have to destroy broken fences, you can just place new fences on top of them. Took me a while to figure that out :P
Me too! I found it out by accidentally bumping a broken spot while holding a new piece of fencing. Before that, I was using my pickaxe to first break up the broken area, lol!

Helios

Greenhorn
always keep chests outside the mines to leave your less vital things in. i cannot tell you how many times i’ve died in the mines and had various foods stolen or my goddamn galaxy sword as well as some other tools, resulting in me having to restart the game. as a matter of fact, just keep chests anywhere you plan on collecting a lot of things. i also kept chests around the areas i’d fish when i started my second game and didn’t have a lot of inventory space.