What is your favorite book?

Odin

Staff member
I don't know if I have just one favorite, but The Hobbit and American Gods are both favorites of mine.

Boo1972

Farmer
Hmm... I couldn’t pick one. I like the short story collection Fragile Things and the mystery The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I, Robot changed the way I thought about AI. Pretty much anything by Ruth Rendall, Alice Walker or Margaret Atwood. To Kill a Mockingbird of course. I truly love the Harry Potter series even if JK Rowling is a disappointment. Oh, I recommend Out Stealing Horses every chance I get, but it’s definitely a book for adults.

imnvs

Local Legend
Anything by Neil Gaiman or Neal Stephenson.

Most of my other favorites are by authors I have discovered are terrible people so I do not mention their books any more, or their names, so as not to give them any attention.

PorkChop

Planter
Touching Spirit Bear definitely.
BEST BOOK EVER
You guys should really read it if you already have not...

Potatoes

Farmer
I really love everyone's a aliebn when ur a aliebn too by jomny sun. It’s sweet and kind and heartbreaking, but beautiful too.

Junimo4659

Cowpoke
Okay so I actually have favorite series let’s say that. I love Percy Jackson(PJO), Heroes of Olympus(HOO), and Trials of Apollo(TOA) which are all made by Rick Riordan. Coming in second is the Keeper of the Lost Cities series(KOTLC) by Shannon Messenger.

It's hard to pick just one! I would say that some of my favorites are the Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy and Discworld series. I also really like Dracula.

Okay so I actually have favorite series let’s say that. I love Percy Jackson(PJO), Heroes of Olympus(HOO), and Trials of Apollo(TOA) which are all made by Rick Riordan. Coming in second is the Keeper of the Lost Cities series(KOTLC) by Shannon Messenger.
I used to be really into those books too! I should do a reread sometime. Have you read the Kane Chronicles or the Magnus Chase series? Do you have any thoughts on the new TV show?

Draconifors

Sodbuster
Can't pick just one, there are so many fantastic books out there. I read a LOT, have been reading since I was 6 or 7, from different genres, and I couldn't possibly even list all of the best books I've read. :D

My favourite book series is Harry Potter, though.

My favourite genres are crime, suspense, romance, and fantasy.

Junimo4659

Cowpoke
I used to be really into those books too! I should do a reread sometime. Have you read the Kane Chronicles or the Magnus Chase series? Do you have any thoughts on the new TV show?
Yess I love those series as well. I’ve read up to book two for Magnus Chase, and I’ve finished the Kane Chronicles series. The new TV show seems pretty good so far! It is far much better compared to the movies. Also, if you haven’t read it yet, the book Demigods and Magicians is super good. It’s a crossover between Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles. What do you think about the TV show?

zMerry

Farmhand
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Endless Night were such good books.

Blandings Castle (P.G. Wodehouse) is my comfort series, and I also love some Sherlock Holmes.

Best I've read in the last few years is the Thursday Murder Club series.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Endless Night were such good books.
In my experience, everything written by Agatha Christie is good. :cool: With the exception of the ending of one of the Poirot books (
Murder on the Orient Express
).
Haven't come across Endless Night myself, but I might in the future. I visit a lot of bookstores.

Blandings Castle (P.G. Wodehouse) is my comfort series, and I also love some Sherlock Holmes.
I've read a few of Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books, and they're brilliant. I plan to read more of them in the future.

Holmes I haven't read yet, only played the videogames by Frogwares, but I plan to change that.

zMerry

Farmhand
In my experience, everything written by Agatha Christie is good. :cool: With the exception of the ending of one of the Poirot books (
Murder on the Orient Express
).
Haven't come across Endless Night myself, but I might in the future. I visit a lot of bookstores.

I've read a few of Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster books, and they're brilliant. I plan to read more of them in the future.

Holmes I haven't read yet, only played the videogames by Frogwares, but I plan to change that.
I avoided Orient Express for a long time due to how popular it was, read it this year though and I thought it was alright, there are other books that deserve the attention more imo.

Endless Night is fairly intense compared to most of her other books. If you do read it, let me know what you think of it. :)

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger is my all-time favorite book and I've read it probably close to two dozen times since I was 15--Holden Caulfield is practically my personal messiah at this point; he presumably got admitted to a sanitarium for my angst.
I also quite enjoy a good work of dystopian fiction and loved 1984 by George Orwell and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
I found The Pigman by Paul Zindell captivating when I was in high school and would love to revisit it sometime to see if a me with double the life experience would still like it as much as I did for English class freshman year.
Call of the Wild by Jack London speaks to my soul.
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell is tough to get into but once you do you can't get enough of it; at least I couldn't at age 14, perhaps because of Rhett Butler--however I've never read a book I loved so much with a protagonist that I thought was so incredibly foolish I could have thrown all 1,036 pages at a wall on multiple occasions.
Sylvia Plath's collection of poems in Ariel are incredible, and speaking of poetry, my favorite poem is Howl by Allen Ginsberg--very long and vulgar, but a brilliant mid-century social critique.
The Discovery of Freedom: Man's Struggle Against Authority by Rose Wilder Lane is *chef's kiss* so good it makes you wonder why Ayn Rand was so popular during the same time period.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell is tough to get into but once you do you can't get enough of it; at least I couldn't at age 14, perhaps because of Rhett Butler--however I've never read a book I loved so much with a protagonist that I thought was so incredibly foolish I could have thrown all 1,036 pages at a wall on multiple occasions.
I read that once, simply because it's a classic.

The setting didn't appeal to me at all, and perhaps as a result of that I don't remember much about the story. I didn't dislike the book, though, just the setting. Knowing that it's based on real history doesn't help.

I read that once, simply because it's a classic.

The setting didn't appeal to me at all, and perhaps as a result of that I don't remember much about the story. I didn't dislike the book, though, just the setting. Knowing that it's based on real history doesn't help.
I found the interpersonal relationships of Scarlett at the beginning mindnumbingly boring, but I enjoyed the rest of it. Real history throughout the world is overwhelmingly bleak and reading about it, even if it's through historical fiction such as this book, helps us better understand our ancestors and get a feel for other perspectives regardless of how much we may abhor them. The past is the past and it cannot be changed, all we can do is live for the present and hope the future doesn't look on us with the same disdain (something tells me that will continue to be commonplace as we're not the most delightful beings, even these days).