What fish do you put in a fish pond and why?

Ennoshima

Planter
Blobfish, Lava Eel, and Sturgeon at the moment! I find these to be the most resourceful for me at the moment.

I also use SVE -- so I do have Puppyfish in a pond. (Personally -- I just find them really cute, and wanted to make a lil pond of them).

Chaya7

Planter
I found this thread so inspiring that I now have four fish ponds. Fish ponds were a totally new thing for me in Stardew Valley, and for a long time (in this game) I just had one. I tried rainbow trout because I wanted prismatic shards, but all they ever made was roe, so I switched to sturgeon, for the caviar. Never considered having more than one pond.

After seeing Uzzlegorf's ponds, I decided to do a little research on the Wiki. I kept the sturgeon but also added blob fish, spook fish, and lava eel. Every one of these will regularly produce roe. That regularity was my main goal. Every one is also an expensive fish, which means their roe (and so their "aged roe") will also bring a higher price. But I also had other motives: the blob fish with its occasional pearl, and I the lava eel with its red water.

So far I'm loving all of them.

Fish I'm considering: super cucumber for the purple water, sea urchin because I like sea urchins, and rainbow trout again because I was a fisheries biologist and it just seems right to me to raise trout. :) And I like them.

Benhimself

Rancher
Wish I had the patience to organize my farm like that. Yours looks really nice!
Thanks! That's definitely a low effort build compared to a lot of the posts in Valley Showcase, but I've been playing for a while trying to pick up the fiddlier achievements so it's just like "Ah, I've got some spare wood, I'll lay down some paths so I don't have to clear debris immediately every season to get around" and stealing the crop set-up wholesale from Stardew.info's "useful" build section.

To keep it on topic, the list of Fish Ponds I've got there for anyone who doesn't want to try to squint at the signs:

[empty but became Sea Cucumber shortly after I took that screenshot]
Shrimp, Lava Eel, Eel,
Spook Fish, Blobfish, Stonefish, Super Cucumber
Midnight Squid, Rainbow Trout, Woodskip, Ice Pip
Periwinkle, Void Salmon, Sturgeon, Crab
Slimejack, Midnight Carp, Flounder

I'm definitely going to try adding an Octopus pool when Summer rolls around, unless I get lucky with the Traveling Cart before then. After that, well,, I've got room for two more which I haven't decided on. Sunfish for Solar Essence to complement my ridiculous amount of Void Essence from the Void Salmon? Ghostfish just to complete the mine fish collection? Coral because it'd be fun to have a Coral pool? Two more Octopus Pools and eventually give both my kids matching Magic Cowboy Hats? I dunno yet.

Final pro tip? DON'T DO THIS. I have to make multiple trips every morning because of how many different kinds of roe I'm juggling. It's ridiculous. A fun sort of ridiculous, but still ridiculous. Two or three fish ponds should be enough for anyone. I recommend Blobfish and Sturgeon like everyone else. Maaaybe Lava Eel? And of COURSE you would need Midnight Squid, Midnight Carp, and Flounder so you can semiregularly cook Seafoam Pudding and whoops we've used up half our Standard Farm layout again.