What do you store in your casks?

Right now I'm about a week out from having a cellar in my current save, once I do I'll be filling it with starfruit wine since that's what I'll have a ton of and it's more profitable. I expect that to last for about a year, before I get to the point where I have too many Crystalariums and not enough room for them elsewhere and the casks start to get ripped out, at which point I'll just be keeping a few to age products that I specifically need or want in iridium quality but can't obtain that way otherwise, for birthday gifts, Luau contributions, etc.

Boo1972

Farmer
I’ve actually done all three. Currently, starfruit wine is aging in the cellar and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I’m looking forward to a new save and might switch to goat cheese. There is something very satisfying about seeing that purple star next to a hunk of cheese.

imnvs

Local Legend
On my beach farm I've reached the point where I literally only put in starfruit wine.

On other farms, if I don't have starfruit wine, it's ancient fruit wine. If I don't have ancient fruit wine, it's goat cheese.

I don't put anything else in casks.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Mostly Ancient Fruit Wine with some Starfruit Wine mixed in. I very well know that the amount of Starfruit can be calculated to maximize g return but... I simply can't be bothered. However some here have noted that Goat Cheese is about as good as Ancient Fruit Wine and you see your returns more often, not in bulk after a half year, so I'm adding some of them to the mix.

Squigglyruth

Planter
I mostly do cheese and goats cheese early on. Good return on the investment.
At some point I always think about making more casks and literally filling the cellar with starfruit wine...

Tom

Farmer
I usually prefer to put Starfruit in them (sometimes Ancient Fruit), but I don't really like them too much. And I think I like harvesting them after 2 weeks.

Rhiannon

Farmer
Starfruit wine? Ancient fruit wine? Goat cheese?
Yes. :) I like variety. I only have one spot of 24 in my greenhouse for starfruit but all of that goes in casks when it's available. If I don't have enough when it's time to fill the wine casks, I do ancient fruit. I always keep one row for goat cheese.

Sharron

Greenhorn
ancient fruit wine, crystal fruit wine, cheese, goat cheese. I don't have starfruit wine ... yet.

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
189 casks of ancient fruit wine. I can load and unload in one day and then ignore it the rest of the time. Filling kegs, jars, and casks is my least favorite task so I set it and forget it until it's done. I can't be bothered to keep planting, growing, harvesting, making seeds, and repeating that process. Takes too much *time* and the days go fast enough as it is! I'd rather be fishing and mining.

imnvs

Local Legend
189 casks of ancient fruit wine.
189 casks... which means having to tear them up and replace them every time you gather out of the cellar, yes? That seems like just soooo much work. The cellar adds some nice income, sure, but it doesn't add so much that the additional 64 casks (125 is the maximum while being able to access them all on PC with a mouse control) doesn't make that big a difference in the grand scheme of things. 64 starfruit wine doubled in price is an additional 201.6k every 2 seasons, or just over 25k/week. Seriously, I'm not sure it's worth that much work when you could spend the 8 hours of game time saved by not overfilling the cellar in the Skull Cavern making a lot more than that.

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
189 casks... which means having to tear them up and replace them every time you gather out of the cellar, yes? That seems like just soooo much work. The cellar adds some nice income, sure, but it doesn't add so much that the additional 64 casks (125 is the maximum while being able to access them all on PC with a mouse control) doesn't make that big a difference in the grand scheme of things. 64 starfruit wine doubled in price is an additional 201.6k every 2 seasons, or just over 25k/week. Seriously, I'm not sure it's worth that much work when you could spend the 8 hours of game time saved by not overfilling the cellar in the Skull Cavern making a lot more than that.
Yeah...well...you get to do you. I play a bit systematically and this schedule really works for me. Plus...it looks super cool when they are all finished! Wine...wine...and more beautiful wine!!!

I love chopping them down, lining them back up, filling them with more luscious wine and leaving them alone. Then I'm off to mine. I currently have 34M gold, 100% perfection on two files and doing just fine thank-you-very-much.

I don't play on PC.

Sharron

Greenhorn
Yeah...well...you get to do you. I play a bit systematically and this schedule really works for me. Plus...it looks super cool when they are all finished! Wine...wine...and more beautiful wine!!!

I love chopping them down, lining them back up, filling them with more luscious wine and leaving them alone. Then I'm off to mine. I currently have 34M gold, 100% perfection on two files and doing just fine thank-you-very-much.

I don't play on PC.
What am I missing? I just gather the iridium wine from the cellar, not chopping them down and lining them back up.

imnvs

Local Legend
What am I missing? I just gather the iridium wine from the cellar, not chopping them down and lining them back up.
See, the cellar has 189 tiles where casks could be put... but if you put that many casks into the cellar, there is literally no space left for you to walk about down there. What LoveElliotsHair is doing is putting down casks, filling them, then putting down more casks that block the first group, fill them... etc, until all 189 tiles are full of casks. Then when they are done aging the product placed in them, a tool is used to collect up all the casks as the iridium produce is gathered, and then the process is begun all over again.

As I said, it's a lot of work for 25k/week at best, imho. If someone wants to do this, more power to them. I'll go make my millions per week without so much work to do in my cellar.

Usually cheeses. I don't always have a ton of goat cheese, some usually half and half goat and regular. I find I tend to forget when I put long aging stuff in there randomly, and then it sits there forever, drives me bonkers that there's no ability to put one "notification-cask" upstairs to use on mobile. If I have no reminder, its going to get forgotten, or I have to time it with outside kegs instead. 😐 I swear some days I could hide my own Easter eggs.

Honestly, it's such a drop in the bucket that I hardly ever bother anymore. When I do, it's typically ancient fruit. Sometimes I'll use it to age cheese to iridium quality if I'm wanting a stack of food for diving dangerous areas, but usually it's just ancient fruit.

nicodeux

Farmer
What do you store in your casks?

It all depends on which farmer I'm playing with because I like to roleplay them a bit and give them some guidelines to their behaviours. Max profit items like starfruit or ancient fruit are mainly used to unlock expensive items - if needed - but flavour items are preferably used to them.

As such, my first farmer only produces five different type of goods amongst whom only beer, pale ale and mead can go to cask. Thus, his cellar is split in three lines/areas, one for each of these goods.

My rancher-like farmer mainly stores cheese and goat cheese in her casks, along with some wine (starfruit/ancient fruit because of... money) but I'm not a big fan of the rancher gameplay and I'm thinking of fully switching her to something else, which means different goods to put in casks.

My forager/season oriented farmer only stores tree fruit wine from the actual season in casks. Again, I'm not aiming max profit here.

My fisherman farmer stores strawberry wine in casks because none of the usual fish/sea products can go into casks, so I picked strawberry wine because I wanted him to also grow strawberries.

And for my miner-farmer, I've not yet made up my mind.