Tip: Back-up tools

Cole

Farmhand
I know we've all had the dreaded feeling of not having a tool we need while we are waiting for the blacksmith to finish our upgrades. Maybe you've submitted your pickaxe for an upgrade and right after realize you need iron bars. Or maybe you've mistimed your watering can upgrade and can't water your new crops.

Whatever the case is, upgrading tools can be a total pain without proper planning and careful consideration. So what can we do?

I stumbled onto this tip by pure accident but I've found it instrumental in all of my play-throughs. First you're going to want to build a player cabin on your farm. These cabins are usually created at the beginning of a multiplayer server and allow multiple farmhands to have spawns and space on a farm. However, building one on an existing single-player farm will give you the ability to invite a friend (or someone on the forums willing to help you :)) to your world. These cabins are very cheap and can be built very early into a play-through. Once you have your cabin built, invite a friend to your farm. Once your new farmhand has spawned in, have them place their starter tools into a chest and then let them log off once they've taken a look around. Congratulations, you now have a back up set of basic tools!

I know that starter tools aren't the best, but when you're really in a jam due to a poorly timed upgrade, they can be a life saver.

Nupid

Greenhorn
You actually do NOT need to invite a friend. You simply build a cabin and the tools will be in the drawer right away. Tried this a few times now and worked every time.

You actually do NOT need to invite a friend. You simply build a cabin and the tools will be in the drawer right away. Tried this a few times now and worked every time.
I don't have this experience. Every farm I have cabins on the drawer is locked unless a player had previously logged into it. (Because the drawer is thier backpack so they don't ruin your farm by grabbing something and log off leaving you without. I'll have to check again though. Maybe an update changed something.

GeiStorm

Newcomer
i know this is an old thread but it's something i've been looking for.
i'm on p.c. and since the latest update, the "get free tools with a cabin" stopped being a thing.
two questions to do with that...
does the whole "invite somebody to leave their tools there" work with the latest update?
and if not, does anybody know the ID/Item number for any of the tools (axe, hoe, watering can, etc.) so that we might be able to spawn them in That way? (referring to the "cheat" where you name yourself/pet/animal/farm/etc with the item's id number in brackets as part of the name)
i just want to have an extra hoe, watering can and axe to leave at my Ginger Island place so i don't have to keep lugging them back and forth between home and there. (and run the constant risk of forgetting one or more tool behind in either place)
in any case, thanks in advance just for reading and possibly coming up with an answer.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'm pretty sure the other Farmer needs to log into the game once as your Tools show up in the Farmer's Inventory when they start. No Farmer, no second set of tools. As long as that second Farmer transfers the tools to a Chest, then anyone else can use them. Bonus points if you can get 3 other people to join as you'll have loads of extras!

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I'm pretty sure the other Farmer needs to log into the game once as your Tools show up in the Farmer's Inventory when they start. No Farmer, no second set of tools. As long as that second Farmer transfers the tools to a Chest, then anyone else can use them. Bonus points if you can get 3 other people to join as you'll have loads of extras!
Once that farmhand exists, even if they did not put the tools in a chest, you can access anything in their inventory by going to Lewis's house. Everything in their backpack will show up in the lost and found.

As an alternative, you could put your tools in junimo chests on both farms.