This is literally Elliott all day recently- I think i broke him

NoirNeverSore

Sodbuster
Screenshot_20240304-202508_kindlephoto-2272561.png

He stares at the catalogue for like 8+ hours... And then goes to bed.
Did I ruin his free-spirited author dreams? :cry:
Elliott recently said something along the lines of 'I'm not bored, It's a simple life but I like it.'
Screenshot_20240304-201838.png

Screenshot_20240304-201844.png

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I haven't married Elliott yet but I've married Haley and Penny and am eyeing up Alex, and Elliott is like the best of all of them mixed together so I'm totally going to give an uninformed opinion.

If you've just married him, then this is consistent with married behavior for some spouses. Single Haley doesn't do much in the regular game though she goes out to the Park and the Beach depending on the season, but she doesn't have a complex behavior set. Which means that married on the Farm, she has even less to do though she does go to town on occasion, but she doesn't have a job or other motivation. So um, yeah. She stands around the house looking at things.

A lotta spouses do that, it's kinda dull.

I think the impression the Farmer's supposed to have is their spouse does many of the typical things they'd do when single but instead in the Farmhouse. And do it when you're out and about so you just miss it? IMO it would be great if you'd see Elliott at a writing desk, working. Or Haley in a darkroom at the back of her room (this doesn't exist in-game but should). I would love to see Penny sitting on a couch if you place one facing south or even on the floor of her room reading. The sprites are already in the game, why not? Penny continues to go to town to tutor the kids which is nice, but adding a natural married behavior in the Farmhouse matching their single behavior would be a very nice detail.

Also, looking at your minimalist design aesthetic, Elliott doesn't have much to look at so I wouldn't be surprised that the Catalog is among the best options for the game to choose. If you fill your house with the statues and reward things, even the vases of Flowers you can get from the Catalog and Festivals, he will look at those things, choosing among them at different times during the day.

OK! OKokok here's an idea: design a little something for Elliott in the house from the stuff you can choose in the Catalog. Part of a room, anything, maybe just a reading nook. Just give him something fun to look at! Maybe that can help with design if you're looking for inspiration.

Last edited:

NoirNeverSore

Sodbuster
I haven't married Elliott yet but I've married Haley and Penny and am eyeing up Alex, and Elliott is like the best of all of them mixed together so I'm totally going to give an uninformed opinion.

If you've just married him, then this is consistent with married behavior for some spouses. Single Haley doesn't do much in the regular game though she goes out to the Park and the Beach depending on the season, but she doesn't have a complex behavior set. Which means that married on the Farm, she has even less to do though she does go to town on occasion, but she doesn't have a job or other motivation. So um, yeah. She stands around the house looking at things.

A lotta spouses do that, it's kinda dull.

I think the impression the Farmer's supposed to have is their spouse does many of the typical things they'd do when single but instead in the Farmhouse. And do it when you're out and about so you just miss it? IMO it would be great if you'd see Elliott at a writing desk, working. Or Haley in a darkroom at the back of her room (this doesn't exist in-game but should). I would love to see Penny sitting on a couch if you place one facing south or even on the floor of her room reading. The sprites are already in the game, why not? Penny continues to go to town to tutor the kids which is nice, but adding a natural married behavior in the Farmhouse matching their single behavior would be a very nice detail.

Also, looking at your minimalist design aesthetic, Elliott doesn't have much to look at so I wouldn't be surprised that the Catalog is among the best options for the game to choose. If you fill your house with the statues and reward things, even the vases of Flowers you can get from the Catalog and Festivals, he will look at those things, choosing among them at different times during the day.

OK! OKokok here's an idea: design a little something for Elliott in the house from the stuff you can choose in the Catalog. Part of a room, anything, maybe just a reading nook. Just give him something fun to look at! Maybe that can help with design if you're looking for inspiration.
Hmmm sounds interesting, I'll try it out, currently though I only have a wallpaper and floor catalog but I've been eyeing the furniture catalog

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hmmm sounds interesting, I'll try it out, currently though I only have a wallpaper and floor catalog but I've been eyeing the furniture catalog
Ah, OK! No problem not having the Furniture catalog, just place some of the rewards you've received from donating Minerals and Artifacts to the Museum for starters, that's what I do. Additionally there are some things found around the map from the Secret Notes which you can place in your Farmhouse. Your Stardew Hero Trophy is a great example which you already have, you should find Elliot checking it out on occasion. I find one of the most rewarding things to buy a Fish Tank from Willy and put some Fish in it for Emily to look at. That seems to be her favorite.

NoirNeverSore

Sodbuster
Ah, OK! No problem not having the Furniture catalog, just place some of the rewards you've received from donating Minerals and Artifacts to the Museum for starters, that's what I do. Additionally there are some things found around the map from the Secret Notes which you can place in your Farmhouse. Your Stardew Hero Trophy is a great example which you already have, you should find Elliot checking it out on occasion. I find one of the most rewarding things to buy a Fish Tank from Willy and put some Fish in it for Emily to look at. That seems to be her favorite.
Funnily enough I just purchased A furniture catalog yesterday and did some decorations but there's still plenty more to add. Caught Elliott staring at the staircase wall though and now some plants/various things I can't remember-

NoirNeverSore

Sodbuster
Accidentally got a chair stuck on top of the furniture catalog :skull:

Like @Lew Zealand said I think a lot of spouses just stand around the house staring. But Elliott seems to like his simple life from the dialogue you shared :smile:

I get the same thing with Shane. He just stares at the wall or the stove. Although he goes out into town or hangs out on the porch or at his chicken coop occassionally.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Accidentally got a chair stuck on top of the furniture catalog :skull:
You should be able to pick the chair up from off the Catalog but you might need to zoom in first to select it instead of the Catalog. The game treats the Catalog as a table! So yeah pretty much anything can end up on top of it, I usually find something I like to place there and that usually prevents me from placing anything and everything accidentally on top.

NoirNeverSore

Sodbuster
You should be able to pick the chair up from off the Catalog but you might need to zoom in first to select it instead of the Catalog. The game treats the Catalog as a table! So yeah pretty much anything can end up on top of it, I usually find something I like to place there and that usually prevents me from placing anything and everything accidentally on top.
Ah thanks for the tips