Stardew Valley

LRangerR

Local Legend
Yes, I was thinking about the Pine Tar and also the need to get to Foraging Level 9 first.
If you farm using only wild seeds, that will improve foraging skill right? Wild seeds are surprisingly lucrative for any season, so that could hasten it.

As for Pine Tar, I was thinking about having a dedicated section of the farm to producing 5 Pine Tar a day. Yes, I realize how much land this will take, but I think it might be worth it. However, I don't know exactly how often trees produce Tar, nor exactly how many trees it would take to produce 5 per day. I'm assuming it isn't randomized and they produce it on a schedule.

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you farm using only wild seeds, that will improve foraging skill right? Wild seeds are surprisingly lucrative for any season, so that could hasten it.

As for Pine Tar, I was thinking about having a dedicated section of the farm to producing 5 Pine Tar a day. Yes, I realize how much land this will take, but I think it might be worth it. However, I don't know exactly how often trees produce Tar, nor exactly how many trees it would take to produce 5 per day. I'm assuming it isn't randomized and they produce it on a schedule.
Yes, I'm growing a ton of Oak Resin right now for Kegs and Deluxe Speed Gro and they produce on a schedule, so only 35 trees w/Tappers needed for 5/day, not too bad.

Edit: Those numbers are for Oak Resin, you only need 25 Trees to get 5 Pine Tar per day!

Last edited:

DJModulo

Sodbuster
Ok, so question #1. Why do the toddlers/your kids only grow up to be a toddler?
Stardew Valley, like most Harvest Moon games, focuses on a snapshot of society rather than an extended timeframe / an infinite story. This is due to the games' content being finite (at some point you've seen it all) and the remaining society not necessarily being the main focus (and believe me, it would be weird to have teenagers while Vincent and Jas stay kids or there are no other kids in town). Also, this allows you to play the game at your own pace and does not set too many arbitrary limits (e.g. marrying a certain character before they leave; or having George live to see the community center restored).

A dynamic society written for 10+ years of gameplay content would be ... a lot of work, to say the least. Unless you completely let the player manage it, in which case ... welcome to The Sims.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Yes, I'm growing a ton of Oak Resin right now for Kegs and Deluxe Speed Gro and they produce on a schedule, so only 35 trees w/Tappers needed for 5/day, not too bad.
And as a bonus, Tappers only take five nights to produce Pine Tar, as opposed to the 7 of Oak Resin. So you'd only need 25 trees to have your 5 Tar/day.

One possible spanner in the works with the plan of "Rain Totems replace Sprinklers", as @LRangerR hinted at, is that you also need Truffle Oil to craft Rain Totems, which Pigs won't produce if it is... raining.

So you could replace Sprinklers on the Island, but not in Stardew Valley itself where your Pigs are.

But the first day of a season is always sunny (even if you use a Rain Totem the day before), as are the festival days. So it begs the question, will that affect the Island as well?

LRangerR

Local Legend
And as a bonus, Tappers only take five nights to produce Pine Tar, as opposed to the 7 of Oak Resin. So you'd only need 25 trees to have your 5 Tar/day.

One possible spanner in the works with the plan of "Rain Totems replace Sprinklers", as @LRangerR hinted at, is that you also need Truffle Oil to craft Rain Totems, which Pigs won't produce if it is... raining.

So you could replace Sprinklers on the Island, but not in Stardew Valley itself where your Pigs are.

But the first day of a season is always sunny (even if you use a Rain Totem the day before), as are the festival days. So it begs the question, will that affect the Island as well?
I did think about this, and if i recall festival days are also sunny as well. If you have a dedicated portion of your farm to truffle growing then i don't think it'll be a problem to harvest enough truffles for an entire season, but I haven't worked it out entirely yet.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I did think about this, and if i recall festival days are also sunny as well. If you have a dedicated portion of your farm to truffle growing then i don't think it'll be a problem to harvest enough truffles for an entire season, but I haven't worked it out entirely yet.
You would only need about 12 pigs max hearts to generate 27 truffles in the one garateed sunny day at the start of the season, 4 more if you want it to rain in winter too.