Rusty Key

GDawney

Sodbuster
I am playing Stardew Valley Extended, and I can't get the rusty key out of Gunther. I have donated 70 items to the museum, but no cut scene. Is there any way to force the cut scene? Is there another way to get into the Sewers?

Ereo

Helper
I am playing Stardew Valley Extended, and I can't get the rusty key out of Gunther. I have donated 70 items to the museum, but no cut scene. Is there any way to force the cut scene? Is there another way to get into the Sewers?
Stardew Valley Extended changes things. I think you’ll get the key from Marlon, but I’m not sure of the requirements.

wildandblue

Sodbuster
Check the SVE wiki under Marlon to see how the Sewer Key works.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
marlon needs five hearts or you get to the bottom of the mines. i get to the regular mine ok but the farthest i can make in in the skull mine is fifty and i run out of time. i think i need to get bombs and find the holes to drop farther. using create drops is too slow for me with my numb left hand (military injury). i probably need to get something for my feet to help out. maybe five hearts will help so i don't have to get to the bottom.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
well, that didn't work. i made marlons a roots platter, his favorite food, and took it to the adventurers shop and couldn't give it to him. then looked at the wiki and i can't give him anything. so i have figurre out how to get him to level 5 as a friend? oh well.

Ereo

Helper
well, that didn't work. i made marlons a roots platter, his favorite food, and took it to the adventurers shop and couldn't give it to him. then looked at the wiki and i can't give him anything. so i have figurre out how to get him to level 5 as a friend? oh well.
Are you playing Stardew Valley Expanded? In the normal game with no mods installed, Marlon is not accessible to the player.

wildandblue

Sodbuster
I'm wondering the same thing now as Ereo about which version you're playing. In SVE, you should be able to go around Marlon's desk in the Adventurer's to talk to him (and give him gifts)? In regular SDV you can't go around the desk. Can you clear up whether you're playing regular SDV, SDV with some mods (but not SV Expanded), or the full SV Expanded version?

Last edited:

GDawney

Sodbuster
You people are FANTASTIC. I know I can help from you, especially when I get really stuck. Who'd a thunk that SVE would change the NPC you get the rusty key from!! (Yes, I'm playing SVE, on my PC.)

GDawney

Sodbuster
marlon needs five hearts or you get to the bottom of the mines. i get to the regular mine ok but the farthest i can make in in the skull mine is fifty and i run out of time. i think i need to get bombs and find the holes to drop farther. using create drops is too slow for me with my numb left hand (military injury). i probably need to get something for my feet to help out. maybe five hearts will help so i don't have to get to the bottom.
It looks like you only need to get to the bottom of the regular mine:
In year 1, player must have 5 hearts with Marlon. In year 2 or later, there is no friendship requirement, but the player must have reached the bottom of the mines at least once

As for the Skull mine, LOTs of bombs, use a warp totem to get there as early as possible, and check the Good Luck channel before you go.