Obelisks are too expensive

imnvs

Local Legend
If you're not using obelisks when you can afford them, I'm sorry, but I don't know what game you're playing. The Dessert and Island obelisks are MANDATORY for me. Who wants to have to wait on Pam's or Willy's schedules?
I think half of them actually went down in price since the update, from 1,000,000g to 500,000g.
Yes, the Water and Earth obelisks used to be 1M in gold cost but at 1.5 went down to 500k.

Last edited:

styles

Greenhorn
If you're not using obelisks when you can afford them, I'm sorry, but I don't know what game you're playing. The Dessert and Island obelisks are MANDATORY for me. Who wants to have to wait on Pam's or Willy's schedules?
What I mean is, by the time I have enough money to buy these things, I don't really have much of a need to go to the desert or the island (other than to check on the things I've planted on the island, I guess)

imnvs

Local Legend
I have more stuff planted on the island than I have at home. It's like an outdoor greenhouse. I have to go there daily, and having the return scepter and the obelisk means it may as well be an extension of my farm at home. Hell, I use that obelisk multiple times a day more days than I don't.

Again, if you're not regularly using obelisks... I'm not even sure what you're doing all day.

Also, most people go to the dessert in order to make money, either from what they get there or from what they make after getting the materials there.

Worblehat

Planter
Who wants to have to wait on Pam's or Willy's schedules?
Willy's schedule has literally zero effect on my ability to get to Ginger Island. Pam has cost me an hour or two once or twice, which doesn't bother me at all.

The OP is correct, but this entire game is built on Catch-22 game design (by the time you can get X, you don't need X), so it would be weird and inconsistent to change at this point. Other examples, just off the top of my head: community upgrades, the Forge (nice to have, but you had to get through ten levels of the Volcano without any forging or enchantments), iridium snake milk, Cookout Kit (probably the most extreme example of Catch-22 design in the game), Heavy Tapper, the Clock (the main benefit is that it disables weed growth on Ginger Island, which only matters if you're making heavy use of the farmland there, the point of which is to get money faster to buy the damn Clock...), Cinderclown Shoes, etc.

Obelisks in particular:
  • Beach - mildly useful as a way to get to Ginger Island a bit quicker, particularly once you have the Horse Flute.
  • Mountain - completely useless. You'll unlock the minecarts long before this, and they're a better way to get to that map.
  • Desert - only useful if you care about getting to the Desert before 10am. Which I do not.
  • Island - useful. But requires 10 Dragon's Teeth, so takes quite a while and money is not the limiting factor.

Last edited:

styles

Greenhorn
Fair enough. I realized too that by the time I have the Infinity Sword, I've pretty much hit all the objectives in all of the underground areas and am basically done with combat. Oh well :hmm:

Worblehat

Planter
Fair enough. I realized too that by the time I have the Infinity Sword, I've pretty much hit all the objectives in all of the underground areas and am basically done with combat. Oh well :hmm:
Yep, that's another good example of Catch-22 design. 🙂 And the Napalm Ring as well, since I expect literally the last monster I fight will be the 250th serpent. So although an iridium+napalm ring would be neat, I don't see any circumstance where I'd use it.

To be fair it's not so much a catch 22 as it's a break from monotony.
Sure you don't need an obelisk once you have an crusader infinity sword (customized) with 10 combat. It's there for you to break up game sections.
I mean with the right build you could plant an entire field of ancient seeds on spring 1 and let your Junimos harvest everything until fall 28 and then make one massive shipment. All you would have to do is go to sleep at the start of every day. I mean what else do you need if your only goal is to make money.

For those who like to do different things that's why the obelisk are there. Some people mistake this game as a farming sim when it's actually a role playing game. Do you need to give linus a gift when you pass him when he's maxed? No but do people do it? Yes. This game is set up to play your way. Just because it's not your way it doesn't mean it's obsolete.

styles

Greenhorn
I don't think you are understanding the situation. The only reason I am building the obelisks is because I need them for 100% completion, because I have already completed the objectives on Ginger Island and the desert. The only reason I am trying to make money is to build these obelisks, because they will serve no practical purpose. I am not able to roleplay as a "quantum leap obelisk traveler" or whatever ad hominem argument you are trying to make, and I don't much appreciate your ancient fruit strawman either.

Ok your doing them for a sense of accomplishment..........., Well if that makes you happy but honestly for many gamers they are great though I will concede with the shortcuts the beach is near obsolete as the only timing issue is for a few fish.

Also please use your word as your speech to me is ad hominem. Saying some people role play and giving an example is not. Please don't be negative or paranoid. I am just saying that some people like to go to the skull cave at near 6am and trying to make a living from mining or some people don't want to wait for Willy or not want to be blocked from ginger due to holiday. Again that's not ad hominem that is showing a discussion on the point you were making and somehow you perceive it as a personal insult which again never made more implied

Odin

Staff member
Hi everyone, I want to give a reminder to keep messages friendly! It's ok if you disagree with someone's opinion or idea, but that needs to be done in a polite and respectful way.

imnvs

Local Legend
If you want perfection, you have to be perfect. Buy everything you need to. Perfection (and its benefits) are a luxury, and luxuries don't come cheap.

If you're going to complain about the obelisks' costs, I can't wait for the moment you find out how much the Golden Clock costs.

Cuusardo

Farmer
I like the obelisks because I'm a fan of being able to teleport around whenever I feel like it. Before I get the obelisks, I use warp totems fairly often. And it gives me something to work towards.

On my beach farm, I had all the materials for the island obelisk before I had the money, partly because I'd just bought the desert obelisk when I still had 5 more dragon teeth left to find, and I ended up finding them a lot more quickly than I expected to. And that was after buying the water obelisk to use in place of beach warp totems to speed up my arrival times to the island.

I’m not a very experienced player yet but I have a feeling that there is a way to maximize profits from every fish, vegetable and fruit that would make it easier to get larger pay days later in the game. It requires a lot of tedious tracking and storage of things that you will sell later (i.e. when you can age them or when you have advanced to an artisan or both).

I am even more motivated now that I’m aware of what a struggle 100% completion will be. I am also the kind of person who will be driven to build all the obelisks whether I need them or not. Not playing with the 1.5 update though so I will see if the costs truly are prohibitive.

I’m not a very experienced player yet but I have a feeling that there is a way to maximize profits from every fish, vegetable and fruit that would make it easier to get larger pay days later in the game. It requires a lot of tedious tracking and storage of things that you will sell later (i.e. when you can age them or when you have advanced to an artisan or both).

I am even more motivated now that I’m aware of what a struggle 100% completion will be. I am also the kind of person who will be driven to build all the obelisks whether I need them or not. Not playing with the 1.5 update though so I will see if the costs truly are prohibitive.
If you are a long term ager you can swap between professions to sell the produce/fish then return to the artisan/trap master while this does cust 20000 to do this you could see the price effectiveness of doing this in year 2+ when your purchases are going down and you can afford to just bank chest filled to the brin of cheese, eggs, fish, roe, wine and leftover produce. Though switching from artisan isnt as useful unless you are maximizing the productions of starfruit with the faster growth which with fertilizer increases the growth rate to 7 days.

This makes it go grow at 2750 a wine bottle where as the ancient fruit goes for 2310. When your talking 100s if not full stacks the price for the swap turns to maybe a 10g per bottle price reductionV

imnvs

Local Legend
If you are a long term ager you can swap between professions to sell the produce/fish then return to the artisan/trap master while this does cust 20000 to do this you could see the price effectiveness of doing this in year 2+ when your purchases are going down and you can afford to just bank chest filled to the brin of cheese, eggs, fish, roe, wine and leftover produce. Though switching from artisan isnt as useful unless you are maximizing the productions of starfruit with the faster growth which with fertilizer increases the growth rate to 7 days.

This makes it go grow at 2750 a wine bottle where as the ancient fruit goes for 2310. When your talking 100s if not full stacks the price for the swap turns to maybe a 10g per bottle price reductionV
Yeah, I make over 1M per week just in wine... and that's with Agriculturalist. If I stored stuff up and switched to Artisan? Or how about in a MP save with the spouse, and one of us goes for each? Yeah, you can make some serious bank by switching professions and switching back, even without saving for too long.

I think half of them actually went down in price since the update, from 1,000,000g to 500,000g.
Yep, Earth and Water obelisks are still a million gold on mobile. If they were 500k I'd have had them sooner on my first game. I guess CA thought these were too expensive also (or maybe there was lots of feedback) for their value/roi since the prices were lowered in update 1.5.