Mining struggles as a newbie

Hazzel_x

Greenhorn
I’m not that new to the game but I am when when it comes to mining. Omfg I just don’t know how to get past level 15 without passing out and I’m so confused how people get to level 50, like how did you get enough time in the day!?
I know you can make stair cases but they’re quite difficult to make uno, like 99stone is quite a bit really just for 1
Any help? :’(

Quirinea

Farmer
You mean the regular mines? Looks like you have not noticed the elevator (in the back wall of the entrance cave). Once you have reached level 5, 10, 15 etc... you can go back there.
Also you need food to replenish your health and energy bars. I usually have field snacks in the beginning, later on roots platters.
Having a chest by the entrance (in the cave, near the elevator door) is a good idea.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Like Quirinea mentioned, you may have missed the Elevator which is available straight up/North from the Mine entrance from the Mountains. The Elevator is available every 5 floors but you need to mine down to floor 5, 10, 15, etc. first to "fix" the Elevator before you can use it to access that floor again. The next time you go to the Mines, you should be able to take the Elevator right to Level 15 and start mining towards Level 20!

This is CA knowing that you just can't be bothered to invest too much of your precious Energy in a dirty, sweaty, and dank task like Mining, when you could instead be working on Machine repair every 5 floors. Which leaves you with the time and Energy to do a dirty, sweaty, and dank task like taking it easy under a tree next to the river snoozing... er, Fishing all afternoon.

qaija

Sodbuster
There are three important factors about successful mining: weapon, healing, and boots. The better your weapon, the faster you will kill the mobs that attack you. The better the food you eat to heal, the easier it is to restore your energy and health. And the better your boots, the better your defense against mob attacks.

As you reach deeper levels in the mines, you will be able to purchase better weapons at the Adventurer's guild. You will also receive weapons in chests as rewards for reaching deeper levels, although being able to purchase them makes it a bit easier getting to the deeper levels. The lava katana is the best weapon you can purchase from the Adventurer's guild which becomes available once you reach level 120 in the mines. Buy it when you can.

Once you are able to get your first prismatic shard, go to the Desert and convert it to a galaxy sword. It is considerably better than the lava katana.

For food, grow melons during the summer for healing. I save the golden ones to use for healing, though the others will work almost as well.

My most important goal in a game is to obtain the galaxy sword as soon as I can. Luck plays an important role in this. Once you complete the Bridge repair you will have access to a bunch of mineable nodes. Here is where luck plays a significant role. I have played games where a mystic stone or Iridium node appear once the bridge is repaired. Once one of these appears you can get your prismatic shard. What you receive when you break open one of these two nodes varies from day to day. So when one of these appears, travel there first thing in the morning and break it open. If you get a prismatic shard, shout for joy, go to the desert and get your galaxy sword. If you do not get a prismatic shard, restart your day and wait until the next day to try again for the prismatic shard. Rinse and repeat until you finally get your prismatic. I state all this because obtaining the galaxy sword will make all mob killing a lot easier.

Stardew Valley is a complex game, amazingly well developed by CA (Concerned Ape). It takes a while playing the game to learn how to succeed. Keep at it, and you will!

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
There are three important factors about successful mining: weapon, healing, and boots. The better your weapon, the faster you will kill the mobs that attack you. The better the food you eat to heal, the easier it is to restore your energy and health. And the better your boots, the better your defense against mob attacks.

As you reach deeper levels in the mines, you will be able to purchase better weapons at the Adventurer's guild. You will also receive weapons in chests as rewards for reaching deeper levels, although being able to purchase them makes it a bit easier getting to the deeper levels. The lava katana is the best weapon you can purchase from the Adventurer's guild which becomes available once you reach level 50 in the mines. Buy it when you can.

Once you are able to get your first prismatic shard, go to the Desert and convert it to a galaxy sword. It is considerably better than the lava katana.

For food, grow melons during the summer for healing. I save the golden ones to use for healing, though the others will work almost as well.

My most important goal in a game is to obtain the galaxy sword as soon as I can. Luck plays an important role in this. Once you complete the Bridge repair you will have access to a bunch of mineable nodes. Here is where luck plays a significant role. I have played games where a mystic stone or Iridium node appear once the bridge is repaired. Once one of these appears you can get your prismatic shard. What you receive when you break open one of these two nodes varies from day to day. So when one of these appears, travel there first thing in the morning and break it open. If you get a prismatic shard, shout for joy, go to the desert and get your galaxy sword. If you do not get a prismatic shard, restart your day and wait until the next day to try again for the prismatic shard. Rinse and repeat until you finally get your prismatic. I state all this because obtaining the galaxy sword will make all mob killing a lot easier.

Stardew Valley is a complex game, amazingly well developed by CA (Concerned Ape). It takes a while playing the game to learn how to succeed. Keep at it, and you will!
I’d say rings and experience/practice are also “main important factors” for mining, as well as being able to mentally multitask certain things like mining and fighting monsters at the same time while tracking health. Certain rings can be helpful too, crabshell, protection rings, etc.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i am stuck on level 15 in the mines. and i still have the sword i was given. haven't been able to obtain a better one yet. i do have gold axe and pickaxe. they work well and might be better than the rusty sword. i did try to get the prismatic jelly but i was killed in a heartbeat. i might have to do the stairs to get down to level twenty to get past the3 flying bugs. i am on year2 fall and have plenty of money but i don't know which rings are the best for going into the mine.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
You're brave - I haven't done the prismatic jelly quest yet. I looked up the stats of the prismatic slime and noped out of there.

For where you are, I like the glowstone ring so you can see what you are doing and get the benefits of a magnet ring. I also used a sturdy ring since it cut down the time I spent slimed.

I believe there is a sword on level 20, if you can reach it. If you can't with your current equipment, check out the adventurer's guild and buy whatever weapon they've got.

Jayamos

Farmer
I went to the Adventurer’s guild and upgraded to the best sword I could buy as soon as I unlocked the guild. Every so often I’d check my current weapons against the ones available at the guild and upgrade again. I’m crap at combat and buying an advantage made all the difference.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You're brave - I haven't done the prismatic jelly quest yet. I looked up the stats of the prismatic slime and noped out of there.

For where you are, I like the glowstone ring so you can see what you are doing and get the benefits of a magnet ring. I also used a sturdy ring since it cut down the time I spent slimed.

I believe there is a sword on level 20, if you can reach it. If you can't with your current equipment, check out the adventurer's guild and buy whatever weapon they've got.
Honestly the prismatic slime is like any other slime, just hit it and it won’t move nor do anything as long as it’s backed up against something.

It spawns on every floor so look for it on low level floors where nothing else poses a threat

Randoplants

Farmhand
I pick one activity to do for most days. So with mining - that’s all I’m doing outside of watering crops and caring for animals.

I also upgrade my sword and pickaxe frequently. Stumbled across a tip awhile back that pickaxe is the most important tool to upgrade first because it’ll help you get more metal quickly for upgrading all the tools.

Quirinea

Farmer
i am stuck on level 15 in the mines. and i still have the sword i was given. haven't been able to obtain a better one yet. i do have gold axe and pickaxe. they work well and might be better than the rusty sword. i did try to get the prismatic jelly but i was killed in a heartbeat. i might have to do the stairs to get down to level twenty to get past the3 flying bugs. i am on year2 fall and have plenty of money but i don't know which rings are the best for going into the mine.
If you have not found a weapon (from a box or as a monster drop) do at least buy the 250 g wooden one from the Adventurers' Guild.
I'm playing vanilla for change now (got a new -puter and the game would not start before some tinkering, then I decided to play a bit before starting with all the mods. Running out of time all the time! I usually use Timespeed. Gah. The problem is that if I install it, I cannot keep my hands of timestop and it feels cheaty. But the thing I don't like in vanilla is that moving from place to place takes ages. My mental image of the area is maybe 2 square kilometers (1,5 across). Should take 20 minutes ingame time to get e.g. from quarry to farm. Walking. The character's running. so it should take less. I.e. I feel that all the transfers take too much time.

Mining is my favorite activity :D I spent most of my days down there. Anyhow, you should look for the elevator once you hit the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th.... and so on floors. Once you pass out, go back the next day but use the elevator and start on the very last floor registered in the elevator.... In this case, you ended in floor 15 which means, it has an elevator in it... Start from there on the next day... When you are just starting to mine, do not clean the whole floor to save energy... Just clean up the stones near the stairs so the stairs towards the next floor will show up...This way, it's faster for you to unlock the elevators in every fifth floor. This is the portal wherein you should be seeing the elevator.
328474882_742127387560366_1056159436708444445_n.jpg

When you click on the elevator, these are the floors that you have unlocked. If you have finished floor 15 by now, then you should be able to click number 15.

328551032_501784678704551_8733671228799072327_n.jpg

Last edited:

MissDandy

Farmer
As I think was already said on here, bring lots of food, it's very important and if you can, bring foods with buffs which I know is kinda hard in early game, but do it if you can.

The other thing is is that it just takes time and patience. Once you advance enough floors to get some decent weapons, things get a lot easier. Rings are important, but I would argue that they're more important when you're a little further along than just starting out. Get deep, practice, rake up those combat XP points and the rest will come with time.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
what i found about the weapons so far. i just made it to level 20 and the new sword is a steel smallsword, level 1 sword, 4-8 damage, +2 speed. what i am using now is a club dropped by an enemy with a different green color. it is a level 2 club, 8-16 damage. i think i will use it instead of the new sword. the original sword is 2-5 damage and then i got a carving knive, 1-3 damage, +2 crit. chance. i don't know what that means but this club really helped me get to level 20.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Nice, I prefer club weapons myself until the lack of speed leads to my doom. I enjoy whacking things around. I imagine one of my bunnies came to help me and walloped them with their hind feet.

Kaylynn

Greenhorn
Please help me. I have tried over and over to mine and I get nowhere. The only thing I can do is knock the barrier over and meet the first dwarf and that's it. What am I missing? And yes, I have the silver pickaxe

Lew Zealand

Helper
Please help me. I have tried over and over to mine and I get nowhere. The only thing I can do is knock the barrier over and meet the first dwarf and that's it. What am I missing? And yes, I have the silver pickaxe
Hi Kaylynn, look at the top picture in @SnoozlyKitsune 's post above. The Mine levels are down the ladder towards the lower right of the picture there, click or tap on the ladder to climb down. On that Floor you want to break as many rocks as you can to uncover another ladder to progress down to the next Floor. And keep going!

Every 5 Floors, you will "repair" the Elevator automatically and then you'll be able to skip down to that last Floor (5, 10, 15, etc.) from the Mine entrance so you don't have to start from Floor 1 again.