Writing Middlewalk

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-77

The end of fall was rapidly approaching, and Lewis had left a note in the valley mailboxes to save the date of Fall 27 for the Spirit's Eve festival. This year, there was a small addendum attached, noting that the tradition of Trick or Treating was returning to Stardew Valley, and for the villagers to expect a small party of costumed eager kids the next night on the 28th. This last note was our doing, as Cassie was now old enough to participate, and for the big adventure we had invited the other children in the village to join us.

As darkness approached, we dressed Cassie up in a hand-made bright yellow, round Junimo outfit. She also had black shoes, socks, and gloves and a small yellow mask over her eyes. From a distance, except for the hair, you might easily mistake her for a Junimo. She also carried a freshly harvested plastic pumpkin. I was going as a scarecrow. I put on some long underwear, and over top of that I wore some worn out oversized jeans and shirt, all tied at the ankles and wrists. Out in the barn, Haley made a variety of cutouts into my clothes and stuffed me with straw. By the time she was done, I had a lot more muscle than the average scarecrow. The straw also stuck out so much that I was likely more dangerous to crows as a porcupine than as something scary. I had a full-face mask and a battered straw hat. Cassie took one look at me and started laughing, saying, "Daddy looks funny." Earlier this week, I had taken some cloth, a light jacket with a hood, and an emerald to Emily's, who dyed the cloth emerald-green (what else) and had made a form fitting outfit for Haley. She was going as a sunflower. Emily also sewed on some large cut-out cloth leaves onto Haley's suit at the knees, hips and elbows, along with a pair of green opera gloves. Into the jacket's hood, I had inserted a light metal band as a support for all the petals and using a piece of plastic stiff enough to hold its shape, had cut out twenty petals, each about a foot and a half long and six inches wide at their widest. Using poster paint, I painted them white, while adding a little yellow along the edges to give them some dimension. These were fastened to the metal, to make a beautiful lightweight vertical crown, that I thought looked spectacular. Haley also wore a round full-face mask covered with brown and black dots that closely resembled sunflower seeds. Our toddler gave out her unbiased opinion that her flower mommy looked, "Ooh, pretty." Once our little team was ready, Haley used her camera stand to take our picture. Then, it was off to the mine carts for a quick trip to the mines to pick up Leo, who was waiting by the mine entrance with Linus. Linus didn't have a costume for Leo to wear, but earlier we had suggested that his Ginger Island parrot outfit would be perfect, and so it was. In the same way that Haley had purchased a pumpkin for Cassie, she had thoughtfully also picked up a plastic coconut for Leo, so he was armed and ready to collect some goodies.

The four of us continued on the mine carts into town, where we next picked up Vincent. He was dressed as a pirate, complete with an oversized, plastic, silver battle sword. He also carried a pillowcase to carry any ill-begotten gains, loot, and treasures back to his lair. Our party now enlarged to five, we continued on the way to Marnie's to pick up Jas. Seeing us coming, the door popped open and out emerged the cutest little sheep. She wore an outfit covered with cotton balls, a bonnet with cotton balls, black shoes and gloves, pink ribbons tied to her ankles and wrists, and a tinkly bell around her neck. Since this was Cassie and Leo's first Halloween, I asked Jas and Vincent to show them how to go up to the doors and yell out, "Trick or Treat!"

Our first stop was at Leah's. Haley and I stood by and watched as the unleashed gang of four attacked her door, blowing out breaths of steam in the cold night air. Leah placed something in all four containers, and then spoke to each, asking them to sound out who they were (as if it was not overly obvious). Cassie didn't know what a Junimo was, so she simply answered, "I'm pretty, like my Momma." But Leo gave out his best parrot call, Vincent a fierce, "Aarrggh," and Jas a convincing, "Baaaa." Waving goodbye, we set off to hit up all the houses in town. Everyone was home, and none of the four kids went away empty handed. Going down the walkway, I looked behind me and noticed that I was bleeding a little straw and leaving a trail. Approaching the graveyard, I also noticed a slight movement, and detected Abigale who had caught sight of our group. She hid behind a bush and was obviously preparing to jump out and scare our troupe. At the last minute, she stayed hidden, likely their overwhelming cuteness had caused her to have a change of heart (who wants to scare a tiny little Junimo?). I softly said, "Hi Abigale," as we passed in front of her bush.

After stopping at Gus's (for a pretzel), and at Pierre and Caroline's, Jas and Vincent decided that they didn't want to walk all the way to the mountain house of Robin and Demetrius (and back). So, we decided to split up. I took Jas and Vincent back home, while Haley took Cassie and Leo to Robin's before dropping Leo off at Linus's tent. They then made it home a little before me, as I came up the back way. By now, everyone's goal was to get out of our costumes. Evelyn's gift for all (including the sunflower and scarecrow) was a small bag of cookies. After getting Cassie ready for bed, the three of us enjoyed our own little private party of cookies and milk.

A few minutes later, as Haley and I stood together in Cassie's bedroom looking at the zonked out former Junimo, Haley said, "Thank you for protecting me from all the crows tonight." I replied that, "It was an honor and a privilege. I'm tough on crows, especially around a beautiful flower." Haley then nodded her head in the direction of the next room and observed, "Perhaps I could interest you in a few Tricks or Treats you might have missed?" "Lead on. Your wish is my command."

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-78

Day 1 of winter, and I wake up remembering that I had promised Linus that I would deliver him some eggs. After telling Haley that I'll be back shortly, I filled a carton with a dozen, and took the back route to his tent to see if I could spot some interesting items in the freshly fallen snow (maybe some holly and mistletoe). Based on the sounds coming from the zipped-up tent, it didn't take long for me to realize that farmers wake up earlier than campers. I left the eggs by the entrance and used the scepter to get back home in time to help Haley with Cassie.

A short distance away from Linus's tent, Leo wakes up and shivers in the cold. "Yesterday wasn't like this at all," he thought. He pushed to open the door of his treehouse and found to his surprise that it was stuck. "Awk, Stuck," said the parrot. Leo pushed harder and the door slid open, revealing a world of white outside. "What is all this stuff?" he wondered. Stepping gingerly about in the six-inch deep soft ground cover, he headed for Uncle Linus, who was outside his tent tending to a campfire. "What's happening?" asked Leo. "I guess you never encountered show out on your tropical island," said Linus. "In the winter around here, it comes down like rain, but instead of droplets, it arrives as big white flakes that cover everything. Makes for pretty scenery, but it's cold stuff. Come over here and get closer to the fire. I recall a story line from my childhood that mentions how the snow loves the trees and fields because it kisses them so gently." Linus explained more about winter weather as he cracked open some eggs and stirred them with some chopped mushrooms. "Later on, maybe we'll go to the spa to warm up, but for how, how about a breakfast sandwich? I picked up some quality day-old bread from Gus's last night. Tonight, we'll have spice berry rubbed fish," he adds. Now, that sandwich hit the spot for Leo, but he couldn't help noticing that while the front side of him was warm from the fire, his backside was shivery cold. "Looks like we're not exactly prepared for the cold days of winter ahead," observed Linus. "Let's go into the village and fix you up." Remembering how cold it was in his treehouse, Leo asked Linus if he could do something to help out the parrot. "I've got just the thing. Let's go take care of him," replied Linus. Back inside the treehouse, Linus lit a cave torch. Not only did its glow brighten the interior, but it served as a central heater. Leo fed the parrot, and then he and Linus walked down to the village.

They stopped at Emily's house. She had just finished breakfast herself and welcomed the two snowy visitors. "How can I help you?" she asked. "Leo here isn't prepared for being outside in the winter, and I wonder if you could make him a warm coat?" asked Linus. "Someone new to make clothes for," exclaimed Emily. "I'd love to." She pointed over to against the wall, where there rested a huge ball of rabbit fur. "Making a fur-lined coat would be a perfect use for all that material. Come over here Leo and let me take some measurements." Leo suddenly noticed with astonishment that Emily had a parrot. The parrot was delighted that finally, here was a human that understood his language, and the two of them chatted while Emily had Leo hold out his arms for the tape measure. While Linus waited patiently, and Emily started to cut the cloth, Leo asked if he could go next door and visit Vincent. "Sure, go ahead. I'll come and get you when the coat is done," responded Linus.

Although Vincent has Jas as a companion, she's a girl and girls can be difficult. At school, Penny loves them both, but the truth is that Jas is good at everything Vincent isn't - sitting still, reading, and worst of all, doing math word problems. "If Susie buys 3 balloons at 15 gold each, and one rubber ducky at 50 gold, how much change does she get back if she hands the sales-person 100 gold?" Vincent tries hard to squeeze his ears and drive out any thoughts of yesterday's lesson. Jas is not into snails, worms, bugs, playing toy soldiers in the mud. Besides, Jas would drop him like a hot potato if that new little yellow haired girl came around. Winter means that summer vacation is a lifetime away, and his only hope is the upcoming Christmas vacation. Vincent loves his dad, but he is aware that in some ways, his dad's return from being stuck in that horrible Gotoro war prison has changed him. His mom and dad were happier before he was called up to join the army. Then, he would laugh and play with Vincent more; now he broods and stands around watching. Sam is a good big brother, but Vincent needs a friend, not a big brother. The truth be told, Vincent is rapidly approaching an age when retreating within himself more and more seems like an only option.

So, it is a very surprised and delighted Vincent who greets Leo at the door with, "Hi. Would you like to come in? Would you like to come into my room and play?" Vincent's small room is just off the living room, and contains scattered colored blocks, a "practice" skateboard, a small ball, and a mostly empty toy box. Leo follows Vincent in and lights up at the sight of the different colors of Vincent's toys. "This is just like at my nest back on the island," he remarks. "The parrots and I love brightly colored trinkets, and we collect as many as we can get." Vincent's pride and joy are some green army men. He splits them into two teams and gives one team to Leo. "Use the blocks to build a fort on one side of the rooms and I'll build a fort on the other side." "What's a fort?" asks Leo. "It's like a very strong treehouse that your men can hide in and feel safe," replies Vincent. If there were more blocks, the forts might have been more elaborate, but both boys made do with what they had. "Now, roll the ball at my fort to see if you can knock the walls down and scatter my army," directed Vincent. The two boys proceeded to roll shots accompanied by loud yelled out, "Booms" as the ball connected with the opponent's fort. Jodi peeked in to see what the noise was all about, and left without saying a word, smiling at the vision of her happy son. Sam woke up in the next room, and started to bang on his drum set, making for an additional noise accompaniment for the "Battle of two Forts." Just about the time that the last soldier fell, a spell of momentary peace and quiet allowed for knocking on the front door to be heard. It was Linus coming to collect Leo. Still flushed with excitement, Vincent followed Linus and Leo next door to watch Leo try on his new coat. It came complete with a parka and draw strings and looked warm enough to wear all the way to the North Pole. Jodi called on the phone for Emily to tell Vincent that he had to go back home for breakfast, and as Vincent was leaving, Leo promised to come visit again for another round of the "Battle of two Forts.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-79

The sun peeked out over the ocean on a cold gray winter morning. Outside the farmhouse, all was still, with only a thin tendril of smoke from the chimney indicating any sign of life. Inside, the house was cold, and Haley and I snuggled together using body heat to keep warm under a big pile of blankets. Another warm spot was at the foot of the bed, held down by a sleeping cat. We were both awake, just enjoying the quiet and togetherness, when the patter of little bunny feet pajamas broke the silence, and a cold little girl slipped in the bed beside Haley. Later today, the villagers would be gathering at Cindersap forest pond for the fishing contest. On festival days, we always shifted to a holiday schedule, sleeping in and minimizing chores. Finally, I broke the "spell of four" and got up, warming the water in the house pipes with a shower. I then stoked the fireplaces, threw on some extra logs and started to heat the place up. Moving to the kitchen, I scrambled some eggs with bacon, strawberry jammed some toast, squeezed some oranges, and served breakfast to the two girls. They sat up in bed and I placed a table with tiny legs over their laps to hold their trays. Now wide awake, Cassie was full of excitement, primarily because today we were going to let her join in the fishing contest. Growing up, she had often gone with me to fishing spots. Mostly, she just collected leaves and feathers, and watched birds, so she must have acquired her interest in fishing by osmosis. A month ago, at Christmas, Haley hid inside a large cardboard box with a softball sized hole cut into it. Cassie then "fished" with a pole and a string with a clothespin tied to the end. She'd quietly lower in the bait through the hole and Haley would attach something interesting using the clothespin and then tug on the line. Cassie would then pull out her prize, sometimes a treat, sometimes an old sock. Cassie also had been using her fishing pole with a fur ball attached to the string and started fishing for Weasel. Weasel took the bait and definitely played along.

Once everyone was fed and dressed, our party of three moved outside to pet and feed the animals. Most were either huddled up in corners, under hay, or close against the walls. All seemed reluctant to abandon their warm spots even for breakfast. Weasel's water bowl was frozen over, and we dumped out the little circular piece of ice and refilled it. We really didn't have to, as when there is snow on the ground Weasel simply rotates between sleeping by the fireplace and sleeping in one of our beds. In clear view of our front window, we have a bird feeder, and I picked Cassie up so that she could reload it with fresh seeds and carefully stick a new piece of suet on the wooden spike. After chores, we all walked down to the festival. Haley had her hair in twin braids, and I told her that she looked like a Norse snow princess. Cassie's snow boots left little tracks in the snow that Haley and I followed. Bunny tracks also stood out prominently in the snow and Cassie would point out each and every one. Where the snow was shallow, there were bird tracks, and Cassie knew which ones were made by songbirds (because two of the toes pointed forward and one pointed backwards). It was still early, and most of the villagers were setting things up and starting to build their snowmen. Cassie met up with Jas and Vincent and the three took turns running down the ponds embankment and sliding out onto the ice. I watched as Cassie started to slide. Her legs slipped out from under her, and she ended up on her butt, sliding along in a slow circle. A short while later, I saw her talking with her Auntie Em. Emily was suggesting a complete makeover for Clint's snowman. Cassie decided that Auntie Em's Frosty needed a baby snow girl and was building one next to him.

Mayor Lewis blew a whistle to gather the fishing contestants. Cassie was an official entrant. I was only there as her assistant. Once the start signal was given, Cassie knew exactly what to do. She raced to the nearest hole in the ice, grabbed a pole and started fishing. Now this was real life fishing and not as instantly rewarding as Haley's Christmas fishing adventure, but after about thirty seconds, Cassie did hook a fish. Getting that fish out of the water was the problem, as the ice was thick, the hole not too wide, and the fish was half Cassie's size. Eventually, she dragged it out of the water. My role was to get the hook out of the fish's mouth, as Cassie's mitten covered hands lacked finger flexibility. Once the hook was out, we let the fish go back into the water (because as Cassie explained it, the fish might have babies and needed to go home to take care of them. Remembering the day that I caught Big Red, I felt exactly the same way). All told, Cassie caught three fish within the allotted time. The contest winner was Willie, who beat out Elliott by one fish.

Rather than going straight home, we walked with Auntie Em to her house for celebratory treats. Cassie was an explosion of excitement, telling everyone who would listen that she caught three whole fish. "They were big ones, and friendly too." When asked how big were the fish, exactly as fishermen throughout the ages have replied, she moved her arms wide and said, "Thaaat big!"

Last edited:

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-80

For this year's Spirit's Eve gift exchange, I'm the secret Santa for Doc Harvey. Haley and I talk it over, and we decide that rather than give him the usual gift from a small farming community, like pickled cabbage or pineapple upside down cake, we'll give him something that will really knock his socks off. After all, Stardew Valley is lucky to even have a qualified doctor, and he did deliver our daughter. There his wrapped box sits now under the gifting tree, a hundred times larger than any of the other gifts. There's even a bit of betting going on between villagers over what is inside the box. Most have concluded that it is a new wide-screen 84-inch television. When Harvey is called up to open his present, a small crowd gathers around in spontaneous curiosity. Removing the outer wrapping reveals a large cardboard box with a picture on the side that at first perplexes a few villagers. Harvey, in contrast, recognizes what it is instantly, and from his reaction, you would have thought that we gave him the best gift in a million years. It is a rather large drone. The picture on the box notes that the drone is called the "Red Baron". It is bright red, and on both sides appear a picture of Snoopy and his doghouse, chasing Woodstock. Very prominently, in bold letters, are the ominous words, "Some assembly required". Of course, Harvey knows it is from Mr. and Mrs. Farmer, as who else could afford to give such a thing. Without a pause, Harvey starts enthusiastically dragging the box in the snow towards his clinic, not even waiting for someone to help him. Normally, Harvey is early in the line at the food tables. Not today.

A week later, it is time for Cassie's scheduled shots, and Haley walks her to the clinic. Haley has the 10:15 appointment, and shows up five minutes early, but there is no Harvey. Waiting is not particularly a strong point for either Haley or Cassie, and Doc Harvey would ordinarily know that. He must really be caught up in something. During their wait, Haley observes that the usual plants and magazines in the office have been replaced by a completely different set of decorations. These are made of metal, pipes, and glass, with a definite look of steam punk relics having an aerial theme. Ten minutes later, Harvey comes out of his room with World War I pilot goggles over his head. Trailing behind him is the smell of glue, and Cassie opportunely asks, "Why does the doctor smell so bad?" Fortunately, Maru shows up, and skillfully pampers our little girl with a lollypop after the shots.

About two weeks after the community party, I get a phone call from a rather hyper Harvey inviting me to come by and witness the first flight of the Red Baron. I hop on down and see the drone resting on the picnic table behind Harvey's clinic, ready for launch. Now completely assembled, the "Red Baron" is rather large, with four spinning rotors and a wing-span approaching six feet. It comes with a set of built-in cameras, that send out a picture signal which Harvey can continuously monitor using his laboratory computer. From inside his office, he can control the drone using his keyboard and at the same time get a birds-eye view from where-ever the drone is positioned.

Harvey calls out to me to come inside the clinic and watch the launch from the viewpoint of the pilot on his computer. He punches in some buttons, the rotors start to whirl, and the drone moves straight up in the air, and then gradually drifts towards the water fountain. Flying is rather easy. Harvey takes control and heads the drone in the general direction of the quarry. He's having a ball. I look at some of the dials and can see that it is moving a five miles per hour and is 83 feet above the ground. The screen is really sharp, and it is almost like actually being there, up in the air. I'm someone who steers clear of roller coasters. In fact, I can feel it even in the opening commercial at the movie theater where one is on a roller coaster moving up and down through popping popcorn. Harvey turns to me and says, "Watch this." Now my stomach really feels it as he does an Immelmann loop right over the spa. As he levels out, and I recover, I do have some thoughts that something like this setup (moving a much slower speed) might be good for trimming trees or picking fruit in an orchard. Suddenly, to our shared astonishment, we see the Witch flying in on her broom. I can't help but call out, "Bogy at two o'clock high," even though I know that Harvey already sees her. Harvey laughs hard as he speeds up the drone and closes in behind the witch. Probably hearing the noise of the propellers, the Witch turns her head, and a pair of surprised black eyes in a harsh green face look back and detects that she is being chased. She pulls back hard on her broom and zooms skyward. Now laughing harder, Harvey pushes the "up" key and the hunting drone closes in on the Witch, like an egg-beater in search of a yolk. Now very annoyed, she pulls out her wand, and "Zaaappt!" a powerful ball of flaming light hits the drone. Harvey stares open mouthed, as right in front of the closeup viewing camera, the drone melts into a mess of spinning rotors, plastic goo, and metal parts. It spirals downward, landing on the railway tracks near the Eastern exit tunnel. As luck would have it, at least one camera is still functioning and catches a glimpse of the Witch high tailing it for her cave entrance. The camera then swings to point in the direction of the Western tunnel. Almost in slow motion, a freight train appears and grows ever larger in the doomed drone's camera. The unstoppable force meets the smoldering wreckage, and both disappear into the dark tunnel, leaving Harvey's computer screen showing nothing but gray fuzz.

I follow a shocked Harvey as we both rush to the site of the crash, but the only thing we can find are a pair of either elf or leprechaun shoes and a lump of coal near a blackened patch in the middle of the tracks. Silently, I hand the shoes to a crestfallen Harvey, who sadly comments that, "It sure was a lot of fun while it lasted." It sure was.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-81

That night, I relate the fate of Harvey's drone to Haley. She's a bit sad that such a wanted gift all too soon met its demise, but at the same time, says that the Witch is bad and nasty, and that Harvey should have known better than to mess with her. I thought nothing more about the subject until the next morning, when after breakfast, I went outside to do the morning chores and noticed that we had mail. I opened the box and written in large black letters on faded yellow parchment paper were the words, "I'll get you and your little girl too!" I rushed back inside, handed the paper to Haley, and dialed Harvey's number on the phone. He initially sounded very sleepy (doctors apparently do not wake up as early as farmers), but rapidly woke up when I told him about the note. He said, "Hold on," while he got up and checked his own mail. Sure enough, he also received a note on yellowed parchment that read, "You're on my list, and I'm checking it twice." Yikes! This is not good. Haley then said (with a not so veiled threat in her voice) that, "You better go visit that witch right now and apologize, because Cassie is not going outside until you do." My brain was sort of frozen with anxiety, and I asked Haley what the Witch might want as a gift. She suggested a carton of a dozen void eggs. I dashed outside, looking up at the sky to see if she was already around, and retrieved the eggs. I also brought in a six pack of void mayonnaise, all of which Haley gift wrapped for me. In my own words and handwriting, I attached a sincere note of apology.

I dropped down to Harvey's clinic, where he had also prepared a gift for the Witch, a six pack each of his energy tonic and muscle remedy, and together we headed for her cave. As usual, she wasn't home. All we could do was to leave the presents on her desk. I showed Harvey the secret portal that transported one to the Wizard's tower, and one by one we went there. We found the Wizard stirring his pot, and when I showed him the note he replied, "Yep, that's her writing. Welcome to the club boys." He threw something into the cauldron, and the bubbling stopped. In the clear liquor we could see the Witch flying over the highway that led to the desert. "I wouldn't be surprised if she is going to the casino," I observed. The Wizard nodded his head, "Yes, she loves to gamble. Mr. Qi probably gives her credits in exchange for inside information on the villagers." We watched in the swirling liquor as the Witch landed on the roof top of the casino, hopped down, and walked in. She proceeded to go directly to the high roller's table. Mr. Qi gave a hand signal, and the lady at the table handed the Witch a couple of long rolls of stacked 1000 g coins. Harvey gasped, "Those are 100,000 g rolls!" The Wizard commented that, "She's betting on house money. I wonder if Mr. Qi is in trouble like you two?" Just then, the water in the cauldron went black, and the Wizard said that the spell had worn off and would be ineffective for at least another day. All this information about the Witch was nice, but I told the Wizard that Haley would not be a happy camper unless I could go home with something tangible to protect our farm and child. He hesitated, hemmed and hawed, and finally got up and went to a cabinet with little drawers in it, opened one, and extracted a card which he handed to me. In very stylized writing it said, "Reflectance spell, #147." There was a hand-drawn picture of a star and a set of instructions. "Do what it says, and bring the card back," prompted the Wizard, as he pointed to the door. Harvey was about to say something like, "What about me?" but thought the better of it. Walking back to the farm gave me time to read the instructions. Basically, at each of the five outer points of the star, I was to put a solar essence, and at each of the five inner line crossings, I was to put a void essence. The size of the star determined the area of the spell. Once at the farm, I said goodbye and good luck to Harvey, and that, "I hope our gifts are enough." The area I wanted to protect was our entire farm, so I spent the rest of the day carefully measuring out exactly where the essence placements were to go. Thinking that I had a pretty large area to cover, I doubled up on the requirements, placing two of the essences where the instructions said to put one. Just before dark, I returned the card to the Wizard and asked to know how the spell worked. He said that it worked like a mirror, and that any spell cast at the star would reflect back on the caster. It would be effective on both good and bad spells, and that it would be interesting if the crop fairy came by tonight, as he had never seen what would happen next.

Sometime in the middle of the night, Haley grabs my arm and whispers that she hears the witch. I hear nothing, but Haley can hear a mouse drop a crumb from anywhere inside the house, so we get out of bed and go to the open window. Both of us are wearing nothing but underpants, and its freezing cold. Neither of us can see anything in the dark. But then, a faint green mist starts to fall, drifting out over our sunflower patch, which according to my measurements today is located in the center of the farm (and the star). Without any clue or warning, BOOM! Most big blossoming fireworks of a thousand little stars that go off high in the sky are red and white. This one was greenish white, and for all we knew, lit up the entire valley. Frozen in time and captured in the center of the ball of light was the Witch. There was an intense sound of crackling, and as the little stars faded, we could see the Witch falling out of the sky and landing in our sunflower patch. I raced out of the house, stopping by the door only to grab my backpack, and headed for her landing site. Leaving behind a trail of broken stalks and flower heads, I made my way to the center of the patch. There, lying on the ground, smoking and partially on fire (especially near the boom end) was the Witch. I used my sprinkling can to put the fires out, and to thoroughly soak her clothing. She appeared to be unconscious, and as I was shivering in my bare feet and underpants, I couldn't stop shaking enough to see if there was a pulse. Being that she was essentially just a little old woman, I picked her up like a rag doll and easily carried her to our farmhouse doorway. Haley in her robe was watching and waiting there, and I told her to ring up Doc Harvey, and that I was going to take her to the clinic. She hands me a shirt and goes back inside. It's a bit too far to the clinic to carry someone, so I carried the Witch to the horse stall and threw her over Max. We quickly made our way to the clinic, and Harvey was there with the lights on at the open doorway. Without waiting for an explanation, we got the Witch into one of the beds, and hooked her up to a monitor for heartrate, breathing, and temperature. She was alive, but cold, and Harvey then put her on an IV, into which he injected a little of his health tonic. We stand back, and wait, and in about ten minutes, the Witch suddenly opens her pitch-black eyes and sits up, looking at us. Right about then, Haley shows up, pushing a sleeping Cassie in her carriage. Haley has brought the broom (looking a little sadly worse for wear), which she props next to the bed. The Witch rasps, "How do I get out of here?" Harvey takes out the IV, unhooks the instruments, and points to the doorway. The Witch looks closely at all of us (especially at me still in my bare feet and underpants), climbs out of the bed, grabs her broom, and fairly well stomps out the door. It is way too late at night for any of us to do anything but to go back to bed, and I push the carriage homeward while Haley leads the pony. The next morning, I find another parchment note in our mailbox. It says simply, "We're even." Later that day, I disassemble the reflectance spell, just in case that crop fairy really does come.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-82

For some time now, the male human had gradually tapered off his scooping out of Hoppy's pond water. Instead, every morning saw a steady rain falling over the nearby farmland. Hoppy wondered why the rain was confined to the area covered with plants, and not to the walkways and his pond, but he didn't mind, as the cat never went into the farmland and hid during the rain. A cat stepping out down a walkway is a pretty obvious sight. Last week, however, Hoppy was aware of a small change. The human had tilled up a new small plot of land close to and south of Hoppy's pond, and Hoppy watched as both the male human and its tiny female version planted seeds in the stirred-up soil. Now, it seemed, every day the little human was filling a sprinkling can with water from his pond. A full can was too heavy for the human to carry, and Hoppy could hear the clink, clink, clink, as she dragged the can behind her over the cobblestone path. As a result of her steady watering, fresh green shoots were rising up out of the soil in the new miniature garden.

Today, as usual, the little human was walking back along the path from watering, when she noticed Hoppy watching her. As she approached, Hoppy gracefully took a flying leap with a big plop and headed for the bottom of the pond. Now on the bottom, he looked up and saw her peering into the pond. The several feet of water between him and her magnified her image, and he could see this giant blonde creature blotting out the sun as she looked down. Although somewhat intimidating, Hoppy wasn't nervous, as the water was quite cold, fairly deep, she wasn't all that close, and he felt that he was well hidden in the mud at the bottom. Looking at his arms, he saw to his surprise that he had ended up in an area on the bottom that was fairly clean and that in actuality, he was somewhat exposed. Still, as long as he didn't move, what could go wrong? Suddenly, with a huge splash, the human (clothes and all) dove into the pond and reaching out with her hands quickly grabbed Hoppy. Yikes! She had a tight grip, and Hoppy's instant squirming attempt to escape ended in failure. "I'm as good as gone," thought Hoppy. "Hopefully, it will be all over rather quickly on the first bite when she eats me." As the human stood up and pulled Hoppy up out of the water, his last thoughts were of Rana, and how she would soon inherit his pond. The human started to rub Hoppy's back. "She's probably rubbing off some slime so that I'm even more tasty," thought Hoppy. He opened his eyes and watched as the larger blonde human female came around the side of the house and start running towards the pond. "Maybe the little human wants to share a piece of me with her bigger version." Hoppy watched as the big human stopped at the edge of the pond. His stomach churned as the little human lifted him high into the air. "Maybe she's making me into an offering to the God's." Despite the pounding of his heart, his timpani picked ups sounds from the big female. He couldn't tell if she was either laughing, crying, or angry, but a lot of chittering was going on. He watched as the female put a small black box in front of her face, and then his stomach churned again as he went from high in the air to back level with the top of the water. "Maybe the God's have rejected me as an offering," he thought hopefully. The little blonde girl opened her hands and pushed Hoppy out along the top of the water. He floated there stiffly without moving, not really believing that he was free, and that anything that he did to break the spell of not being trapped would result in his instant death. Spinning around slowly in the water, he watched as the bigger female helped the littler one hoist herself out of the pond. The two females then marched for the house and went on in, with the little one leaving a squishy trail of water behind her with every step.

About this time, Hoppy became aware that he was breathing again, that his heart was still pumping blood, and that he could move again. Rana surfaced next to him and asked, "What happened?" "I don't really know," replied Hoppy. "I got caught by the little yellow headed human and for sure, I thought that I was dead, but apparently neither of the two humans were hungry. Humans have walked past this pool thousands of times and never has one tried to go into the water. That's why I was caught so unawares." "Well, I hope that you pay more attention next time," scolded Rana. "If I end up a widow, you're going to be really sorry." Hoppy didn't answer. For once, an upset Rana was the better of several other options.

Last edited:

FairyRing

Farmer
Round two, came a few days later. Again the chicken got loose, but this time Hoppy managed to quietly sneak up behind Mrs. Cluck, who was standing on the ledge of the pond
chickenbutt.jpg

this time Hoppy managed to quietly sneak up behind Mrs. Cluck
itistime.jpg

ninjahoppy.jpg

As he closed in, he found himself next to two giant yellow pillars of legs, holding up a canopy of feathers.
tiptoe.jpg

Hoppy suddenly gave his best shove, and the chicken toppled into the pond. Mrs. Cluck was no duck. But between squawking, and flapping, she floated enough to make it back to the shore.
noduck.jpg

Two votes no for the chicken.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-83

It's a cold steady rain that is pelting our rooftop on a fall morning. Cassie has been itching since she got up to get out of the house, so it is my pleasant task to sit on the porch and watch her play in the rain. Armed with a matching pink umbrella and boots, she runs about on the stone pathway, looking for the biggest puddles to stomp in. I watch, as she finds one worthy of jumping in using both feet at once. Something about the puddle catches her eye, and I watch as she carefully picks up a chubby worm and runs to the tilled soil, where she drops it in. She comes up to me proudly and says, "Daddy, I rescued a drowning worm." I respond with, "I watched you. What a good thing to do. All the worms on our farm now think of you as a very brave super-hero. How are you doing now? Do you want to come in and dry off?" "Okay." Once inside, the verdict was that she was rather soaked, so I helped her change into a new (and dry) outfit. Haley was in the kitchen, rolling out the crust for a pie, and she listened in as Cassie and I sat together in the rocker. "Let's play the alphabet game," I encouraged, as Cassie clapped her hands with glee. "I'll start by asking a question, and you have to answer." "Okay." "Here I go. I love my love with an H, because she is so . . . " "Happy," replied Cassie. "I fed my love with an H, because she liked . . . " "Hamburger," said Cassie. "Okay, here's a hard one. I caught a fish whose name begins with an H, and his name was . . . " This time I didn't get an instant answer. I could see Cassie's brain gears hard at work. Then she brightened, and came up with "Haa, Hallibot." "Wow! How did you know that?" "Don't you remember daddy? You were talking to Willie and you both caught one at the same time. They have big fins." "What a memory. Okay. Try this one. I'm not a mountain and I'm not even a flat plane. I'm sort of in-between and my name starts with an H . . . " Quickly, Cassie came up with, "Hill." "Okay Cassie, you get to ask the question this time." "That's easy," she replied. "I love my mommy with an H and her name is . . . " "Haley!" I shouted out. Haley, who had been listening in the whole time, laughed, and held up her dish with the empty pie crust in it. "I'm going to fill this pie with something that begins with a B. What do you wish for?" "Blueberries," Cassie and I shouted out simultaneously. "Let's play the game again, but this time with B words, "begged Cassie. And so we did.

Later in the afternoon, while Cassie is napping, I watch as Haley sits at the dining room table and draws. She is surprisingly good at drawing expressive little cartoon birds, rabbits, and frogs. All of these animals are saying some of the cutest and funniest things which end up on cards that go out to other villagers. Right now, I'm watching her put the finishing touches and adding some color to a happy Thanksgiving's Day card to her sister. It's a picture of Noah's ark, and a smiling Noah is supervising the loading of the animals - two giraffes, two zebras, two foxes. In the same line are at least a dozen turkeys, and one turkey turns to the other and asks, "How did you get so many tickets?" I don't know who was more eager, me to sign that marriage certificate, or those turkeys waiting to get on board the boat for a special dinner. Although I had no choice in the matter, I'm so glad that we have a baby girl. Now well past the silent diaper-changing stage in life, she's turning out to be Haley the second, and it's a special magical joy to see and listen to them both.

After Cassie wakes up, the smell of a fresh baked lattice pie pervades the house, and by a vote of three to zero, we decide to not wait for supper and to have pie now. Haley cuts the pie, and I add a big scoop of ice cream to melt into the warm blueberries, and the three of us demolish Haley's hard work and beautiful pie. Afterwards, as a thank you to Haley, I volunteer to vacuum the downstairs. Haley goes in front of me moving the furniture out of the way, while I focus on leaving no space behind. Cassie and the cat retreat upstairs to avoid the noise. Our chores out of the way, we can now relax on a lazy rainy day, and the three of us decide to play a game of Horse-o-poly. I bring down the rabbit from upstairs to make a fourth at the table. Cassie is always the banker and plays both her turn and the rabbit's turn. There is not conscious effort on our part to home school our daughter. Most so-called "formal" learning that she's receiving is in the form of games. I can tell you that after ten games of Horse-o-poly as the banker, that working with numbers just clicked in for Cassie, and now she knows exactly the value of the various horses (properties), and can make change in any denomination without a second thought. I knew grown-ups in Zuzu City who couldn't do that.

Outside, she intuitively knows to be kind to living things. She picks the chickens up with care, feeds flowers to the rabbit, and would go out of her way to help a slow-moving snail across the walkway. Recently, I dug out for her a small garden spot near the frog pond, and she's actively growing fairy roses. It is all hers, and she waters and weeds it all on her own. In the spring, I'll have her plant some packets of mixed seeds, so that she can be surprised about what comes up. On our walks, she is better at finding flowers, nuts, and mushrooms than I am, and we always return with a proud stash to show off to her mother. Her auntie Em has taught her to count squirrels, and on almost every outing we challenge each other to find them first. As a game, she gets to punch my arm or leg and say, "Squirrel" when she finds one, and I get to smack her bottom and say the same when I manage to see one before she does (Haley taught her that game). She has given names for many of the animals that live in certain areas of the valley. For example, the white rabbit living by the bus stop she calls, "Alice." The valley has a lot of birds, ranging from woodland forms to ocean forms, and Cassie has a surprisingly large vocabulary of bird names. Once, she came close to a large pelican standing on the rail by Willie's dock, and she asked me if that one was the one that "Gronked" the mayor. She wasn't around at that time, but she loves hearing the story (I must have told it to her a hundred times), and she can't wait for next year's Luau to see if the pelican will come back and do it again.

I can't tell you in words how much I enjoy Haley the second. She's so full of life and so much fun that I also can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

FairyRing

Farmer
MIDDLEWALK-30

Some evening, when a frog sings away twenty feet away from your open window, do you ever wonder what they might dream about when they finally do go asleep? A massive plague of mayflies? To swim in that little watering pond full of highly attractive frogs of the opposite sex? The captain of a starship? Frogs can hop, but can they fly?

0800 Hours, Bridge. After spending the night on a slow parabolic approach to the second of Barnard's three planets, starship Aurora entered high orbit over its pretty, partly cloudy, blue surface. "Lieutenant Alytes, report," requested Hoppy. "I am preparing a probe, but my initial impression is that this is a miniature copy of our home planet." "Chief, what do you show?" asked Hoppy. "Nothing on the scanners," replied Otophryne. "I see nothing. "We'll do one go around," spoke Hoppy, "Then if nothing turns up, we'll launch a probe." Nothing did turn up, and the class-1 probe found a very small, very watery type-1 planet, similar to the amphibian's home planet, but with considerably less continental surface, and an ocean too salty for amphibians. (It was unspoken, but all knew that even a little continental surface meant freshwater lakes, rivers, and ponds). Although Lt. Alytes wanted to drop down close to the surface and use a class-2 probe to bring back a water sample and check for life forms, Captain Hoppy decided to move on to the third planet. "Helm, break orbit, increase to speed 5, course 34.31+34." "Yes sir, breaking orbit now," replied the helmsman. "Estimated time of arrival at the third planet 2.4 minutes." "Understood," replied the captain. Looking at Lieutenant Commander Babina and Alytes, Hoppy explained, "I feel the need to push on and complete this survey today. If all goes well, we can set a new course by late morning." "It is quite interesting," commented the science officer, "That of the four planets we have looked at, two are type-1. It suggests that our galaxy might be a very friendly place after all for amphibians. Executive officer Babina could not help but add his shading onto that thought, "And since most life forms rapidly evolve from watery environments, it also suggests that the galaxy is full of life." All the amphibians attention now turned to the third planet, as a huge ball of greenish cloudy haze encircled by a faint ring filled the viewport. "Helm, bring us into standard orbit," ordered Hoppy. "Aye, Aye, Captain. Standard orbit at 100 km," Helm acknowledged. "Sir, this planet has a lot of atmosphere and it is difficult for our scanners to read the surface. Suggest moving in closer," said Lt. Alytes. "Make it so," replied Hoppy.

There is not a lot of room on an lily pad for two sleeping frogs, and when Hoppy raised his right arm and pointed to give the, "engage" command, he rolled off and fell into the water with a soft plop. Effectively, he himself entered into a personal class-2 probe of his pond. The lily pad rocked in the small wave, and a sleepy Rana lifted her head and asked, "What are you doing?" "I think my starship just fell out of orbit," he replied. "Whaat?" "Never mind, I was just dreaming. Try and go back to sleep." "I'm warm and dry. Stay on your side and don't drip on me," muttered Rana. Hoppy climbed back onto the pad and tried to get back to sleep, but now he was colder and wetter, and too many thoughts crowded out his attempt to return to a deep space adventure. Rana's steady breathing told him that she was already back asleep. Something was rustling the leaves amongst the farmer's plants. He opened his eyes and saw the bright planet Jupiter winking in and out between the moving tree branches. Tomorrow was going to be a busy day, and Hoppy knew that if he started to focus on tomorrow's events, he would end up being more awake than he already was right now. His thoughts turned to Rana. Her birthday is coming up, and what to get her. She loves living things. Maybe a pet turtle . . . z z z . . . A small pond turtle . . . z z z z . . . One with a pretty painted shell . . . z z z z z . . .
I really liked this chapter but then I am a Star Trek nerd. Very cute!

Dr. eeL

Farmer
Thank you, Star Trek fan. Hoppy is doing his best to make you into a Hoppy fan. I see that you are up to Middlewalk-30. Keep reading. Hoppy will make some more appearances.