Make trinkets drop once (then buy subsequent ones from the guild)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I can't be the only one who finds it annoying when I go to the mines and get 5-6 nonstackable trinkets in a single run, these things are actively annoying as basically any one past the first is completely useless.
They completely clog the inventory, sure I can trash them but again it's usually 5+ every single run and it gets annoying when they offer 0 use past the first one and sell for next to nothing either.
My proposal is just something that's already largely implemented into the game already in the form of monster slayer goals and rewards. You complete the reward, "find"/get the reward a single time and can buy any subsequent rewards.
I think being able to find the first (1 of each per player) then buy any subsequent of that type of trinket for something like 20-50k (money really doesn't matter at that point in the game and you'd have to lose your first one already) would be a lot nicer than constantly having the inventory be filled.

Lew Zealand

Helper
This is a top tier suggestion. Yes Trashing any extras you find is doable but when trying to manage Stairs, Bombs and Cheez at the same time I kinda need my inventory to sort itself out and not need a committee meeting. Sure I'm gonna dump that Sap and probably Cave Carrots and those useless Auto-Grabbers (yes. I'm still mad) but finding 3 of one Trinket and 2 of another when Mom already told me honey we have Trinkets at home, is kind of annoying.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This is a top tier suggestion. Yes Trashing any extras you find is doable but when trying to manage Stairs, Bombs and Cheez at the same time I kinda need my inventory to sort itself out and not need a committee meeting. Sure I'm gonna dump that Sap and probably Cave Carrots and those useless Auto-Grabbers (yes. I'm still mad) but finding 3 of one Trinket and 2 of another when Mom already told me honey we have Trinkets at home, is kind of annoying.
This 100%, entering my inventory to trash a could actually useless things like sap and white algae once is different from doing this multiple times because I'm getting them from treasure rooms too (and getting less hats because of it)

I can't be the only one who finds it annoying when I go to the mines and get 5-6 nonstackable trinkets in a single run, these things are actively annoying as basically any one past the first is completely useless.
They completely clog the inventory, sure I can trash them but again it's usually 5+ every single run and it gets annoying when they offer 0 use past the first one and sell for next to nothing either.
My proposal is just something that's already largely implemented into the game already in the form of monster slayer goals and rewards. You complete the reward, "find"/get the reward a single time and can buy any subsequent rewards.
I think being able to find the first (1 of each per player) then buy any subsequent of that type of trinket for something like 20-50k (money really doesn't matter at that point in the game and you'd have to lose your first one already) would be a lot nicer than constantly having the inventory be filled.
I would like to have unused trinkets to be stackable. This would save a lot of space in the inventory and chests...
😎

Feels a bit odd stacking stuff like that though, I would feel weird about stacking weapons or clothing and that’s functionally the same
Why are trinkets functionally the same as weapons or clothing?
And if so I don't see, why it has to be so... but I also can't say how much work a change would be. It's just would like to see it that way.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Why are trinkets functionally the same as weapons or clothing?
And if so I don't see, why it has to be so... but I also can't say how much work a change would be. It's just would like to see it that way.
Well for clothing/boots/rings they’re all equipable items. For clothing items it doesn’t make all too much sense for someone to wear 999 shirts for example and it would introduce issues with the copper (and upgraded) pan. You have to employ a bit of video game logic for this one but it’s pretty much been the same with stackables for the last 30 years in games and it’s understandable to stick to the standard.

For weapons It’s a matter of stats when stacking. say I had a dragontooth club that I’ve enchanted and forged, I go run the volcano and open the chest and get a basic dragontooth club. One of 3 things happens if it can stack (because only similar items can stack for obvious reasons),
1. either both the clubs stack and become the basic form, yay I’ve lost my good weapon and all the cinder shards, gems, and prismatic I poured into that weapon.
2. Both weapons become the forged weapon equivalent, I could unforge the new weapon then throw it on the ground and make it stack over and over and I’m duping cinder shards again, that’s too problematic
3. They don’t stack because they are different, yay no problems but…. We’re back at the same place basically because almost every trinket you pick up will have different stats

Finally for rings and boots, they don’t stack because you don’t want the effects to stack in a balanced game and also for the same reasons as clothing

Well for clothing/boots/rings they’re all equipable items. For clothing items it doesn’t make all too much sense for someone to wear 999 shirts for example and it would introduce issues with the copper (and upgraded) pan. You have to employ a bit of video game logic for this one but it’s pretty much been the same with stackables for the last 30 years in games and it’s understandable to stick to the standard.

For weapons It’s a matter of stats when stacking. say I had a dragontooth club that I’ve enchanted and forged, I go run the volcano and open the chest and get a basic dragontooth club. One of 3 things happens if it can stack (because only similar items can stack for obvious reasons),
1. either both the clubs stack and become the basic form, yay I’ve lost my good weapon and all the cinder shards, gems, and prismatic I poured into that weapon.
2. Both weapons become the forged weapon equivalent, I could unforge the new weapon then throw it on the ground and make it stack over and over and I’m duping cinder shards again, that’s too problematic
3. They don’t stack because they are different, yay no problems but…. We’re back at the same place basically because almost every trinket you pick up will have different stats

Finally for rings and boots, they don’t stack because you don’t want the effects to stack in a balanced game and also for the same reasons as clothing
What if they stacked in your inventory but not on your character? So you could carry a stack of three of the same ring you found in the mines but only equip one for use.

^ This is what I was addressing.

As for Trinkets or weapons, I would think your suggestion number three would be the most likely scenario, which would still reduce clutter and save space.

If base weapons, trinkets, rings, boots, etc stack in your inventory (but you can only equip one), then if you get two holy sword drops (or two magnetic rings or two quivers, whatever), they only take up one inventory space instead of two. It just seems like something of a middle ground between 'everything stacks and somehow alters to stack' and 'every weapon/ring/boot/trinket of identical value takes up its own slot'.

Well for clothing/boots/rings they’re all equipable items. For clothing items it doesn’t make all too much sense for someone to wear 999 shirts for example ....
Very true. But as others mentioned already stacking in general should only be possible in the inventory/chests (and for the dressers [1], [2]). And also only then when no special attributes are set (no good ones like with weapon enchantments as well as no bad ones like wearing of tackles).

noobsqoou

Planter
Most trinkets can’t stack because they have minute differences in stats. The most glaring example is the Ice Rod. Its rate of fire and duration are each determined to the millisecond, so there are something like 2000 unique possible Ice Rods that can drop and/or be forged.

However, unlike equipment that can be worked at the forge, trinkets can’t be “un-forged” to salvage some resource, so maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to allow additional drops to stack to an existing item in the inventory and take the higher of the two stats. The only potential edge-case abuse would be in multiplayer, where someone can just toss their trinket to a friend to make it better, but honestly who the hell cares?

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
Somewhat off track but what the heck do trinkets do? I have a chest collecting them like crazy but I don’t understand their purpose. I might have missed a letter of explanation or something. They started appearing after entering grandpas secret room in cindersap. His letter explained nothing. I went back in after a notice on my screen and the shrines were glowing. I just picked one at random and I think it must have been mining or combat.

Somewhat off track but what the heck do trinkets do? I have a chest collecting them like crazy but I don’t understand their purpose. I might have missed a letter of explanation or something. They started appearing after entering grandpas secret room in cindersap. His letter explained nothing. I went back in after a notice on my screen and the shrines were glowing. I just picked one at random and I think it must have been mining or combat.
What it does is written under each trinket. If you use the Fairy Box, a fairy will buzz around your head (it's a bit annoying at first, but you get used to it quickly) which gives you back some health as soon it gets damaged. The Ice Rod will shoot an orb of ice every few seconds, freezing an enemy in its path for a few seconds. The Magic Quiver shoots arrows at enemies and so forth.

I have to say I like them, they're quite useful, but I have to totally agree that they drop much too often, especially as they are not consumed. What would I need 5 trinkets of the same kind for? Okay, there's an NPC who loves Fairy Boxes - but what about the rest? That's why I would strongly support Filthy Gorilla's proposition to let every one of them drop only once, and then - if you wish - get the possibility to buy them.

By the way - I only recently realised that you can't even trash the old scythes. Even irl I hate having things lying around that I neither need nor admire for their beauty.

The Wizard likes all trinkets. So why not use him for this?

The Wizard's Tower interior is full of interesting furniture and has an unused area with bookcases on the back.
The Wizard could have there a creature or a minion (like the now unemployed swamp goblin) buying trinkets in exchange for a new item that is used as a token in that shop, or you could open such a shop by interacting with one of the existing elements there that have no use currently.

Any trinket you sell to this vendor or gift to the wizard would become unlocked in the vendor's shop, and you'd be able to buy any other trinket with the token item you get from selling them to the goblin.

Tossing trinkets into the Deconstructor could also turn them into this token item.

This way if you keep getting a trinket you have no more uses for, you'd be able to exchange it for a different one. If a 1:1 rate is too much, then it could trade 2 or more tokens for a new trinket.

The vendor could even have a "random box" that has a chance to produce a trinket that isn't in the shop yet, letting you slowly complete the collection even if you are not lucky enough with drops.

learned a new word: trinkets!