Kegs, Kegs, Kegs.

How many kegs do you make or have made on one file?

• 1 - 50

• 50 - 150

• 150 - 500

• 500 - 1000

• 1000+

• All of the above

• I don't support the kegging industry.

• I'm a preserve jar kinda farmer

• *All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.

imnvs

Local Legend
Hyper + agro is 7.41 days. I'm very sure the game rounds up and I think even the wiki says 8 days, you can plant on the same day as you harvest though which leads to it only taking "7 days" to grow.
The planting day counts as the same day when you harvest because you will lay down the seeds as you harvest the crops.
View attachment 8380
No, the game rounds down for speed-gro fertilizers. Also, it's sometimes better to think of grow days as the number of nights needed... and when you get it down to 7.99 or less, you're looking at 7 days, or weekly.

The image you shared even shows it coming up every 7 days, btw. That's what 7 day grow time looks there on the right, 8 on the left.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
No, the game rounds down for speed-gro fertilizers. Also, it's sometimes better to think of grow days as the number of nights needed... and when you get it down to 7.99 or less, you're looking at 7 days, or weekly.

The image you shared even shows it coming up every 7 days, btw. That's what 7 day grow time looks there on the right, 8 on the left.
Lol, ur right, I got way too little sleep last night, I kept thinking of the harvestable crop as a growth stage even though I have hsg that I can harvest 4 times a month, sorry for the trouble.
"The planting day counts as the same day when you harvest because you will lay down the seeds as you harvest the crops. " Big facepalm when I read it out loud.
You win some you lose some. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Tom

Farmer
Lol, ur right, I got way too little sleep last night, I kept thinking of the harvestable crop as a growth stage even though I have hsg that I can harvest 4 times a month, sorry for the trouble.
"The planting day counts as the same day when you harvest because you will lay down the seeds as you harvest the crops. " Big facepalm when I read it out loud.
You win some you lose some. :p
Yeah. Long ago there was a lot of discussion and confusion on this point partly, I think, because of some bugs in the game that sometimes ruined growth time. But it's really very simple. Harvest date = current date plus growth time. Plant parsnips on the first and harvest them on the 5th. 1+4=5.

1 + 28 = 1
7 + 7 = 14

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yeah. Long ago there was a lot of discussion and confusion on this point partly, I think, because of some bugs in the game that sometimes ruined growth time. But it's really very simple. Harvest date = current date plus growth time. Plant parsnips on the first and harvest them on the 5th. 1+4=5.

1 + 28 = 1
7 + 7 = 14
Yeah, I was thinking of the old dsg/agro growth bug and how that was so much longer.

Ilune

Planter
umh, in my most-keg oriented game, I had 6 big sheds full of kegs.
The trick is plant a lot of oaks, and collect resin since the early game. Wood and iron and copper can be found later or bought, but resin has the problem of time - just an harvest a week.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
umh, in my most-keg oriented game, I had 6 big sheds full of kegs.
The trick is plant a lot of oaks, and collect resin since the early game. Wood and iron and copper can be found later or bought, but resin has the problem of time - just an harvest a week.
So, like, 800 kegs.
Thats nice, what do you like putting in them?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Cool, I like kegging ancient fruit as well but have quite a few more kegs and plants than you and much too much for the island and greenhouse to keep up with.
ancient fruit. I use all the space available in the farm to put sheds (and coop and barn) and I have the Ginger Island Farm and the Greenhouse full of ancient fruits

imnvs

Local Legend
I have, on my current farm, precisely 5.5 sheds (132 + 4x133 + 66 = 730 kegs). I also have precisely 2.5 sheds of jars (66 + 2x133 = 332). Tree fruit is generally too cheap to waste on kegs... and 15 kegs are kept free for coffee/tea, the rest processing the starfruit, ancient fruit, pineapple and melons into wine. I have just over 500 ancient fruit all told (greenhouse and GI), gold pineapple is stored for cooking but about 20 not-gold pineapple weekly (pots in greenhouse), 50 starfruit (GI), melons grown at home during summer and, well, I plant 3 rounds of 272 of them every summer, so I've got lots of melons. I've also got 84 fairy rose honey every 4 days. Most of what I grow is either kept for cooking, or it is processed... and I keep my jars/kegs busy. I have 2 barns (6 cow, 6 goat, 5 pig, 7 ostrich) and 2 coops (12 rabbit, 2 dino, 2 duck, 1 void, 3 blue, 4 gold chickens). I also have 2 sheds totaling 266 crystalariums producing diamonds. That's about 1.5M per week right there. I'm in Summer year 5 and have a grand total earned of 70M. 35M of that total was spent on Statues of Endless Convenience (as I call them, instead of Fortune).

I find that any more than that and I'm pushing myself too hard too fast. I like the long grow times and long re-grow times for my plants, and I like that the weekly grow and re-grows are perfect for wine in kegs.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I have, on my current farm, precisely 5.5 sheds (132 + 4x133 + 66 = 730 kegs). I also have precisely 2.5 sheds of jars (66 + 2x133 = 332). Tree fruit is generally too cheap to waste on kegs... and 15 kegs are kept free for coffee/tea, the rest processing the starfruit, ancient fruit, pineapple and melons into wine. I have just over 500 ancient fruit all told (greenhouse and GI), gold pineapple is stored for cooking but about 20 not-gold pineapple weekly (pots in greenhouse), 50 starfruit (GI), melons grown at home during summer and, well, I plant 3 rounds of 272 of them every summer, so I've got lots of melons. I've also got 84 fairy rose honey every 4 days. Most of what I grow is either kept for cooking, or it is processed... and I keep my jars/kegs busy. I have 2 barns (6 cow, 6 goat, 5 pig, 7 ostrich) and 2 coops (12 rabbit, 2 dino, 2 duck, 1 void, 3 blue, 4 gold chickens). I also have 2 sheds totaling 266 crystalariums producing diamonds. That's about 1.5M per week right there. I'm in Summer year 5 and have a grand total earned of 70M. 35M of that total was spent on Statues of Endless Convenience (as I call them, instead of Fortune).

I find that any more than that and I'm pushing myself too hard too fast. I like the long grow times and long re-grow times for my plants, and I like that the weekly grow and re-grows are perfect for wine in kegs.
I also have 2 sheds of jad crystalariums, the things are too useful.
Could you send a screenshot of your farm and ginger island? Just wasnting to see how others layouts are.
Thanks.

imnvs

Local Legend
I also have 2 sheds of jad crystalariums, the things are too useful.
Could you send a screenshot of your farm and ginger island? Just wasnting to see how others layouts are.
Thanks.
I used to have a jade crystalarium shed, but I have over 10k staircases right now, so I changed it over to diamonds. (My crafting shed has 10 more crystalariums producing a smaller trickle of jade to prevent depletion too quickly.)

Current images in this post: http://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bob-and-her-basic-farm.9897/post-65564

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I used to have a jade crystalarium shed, but I have over 10k staircases right now, so I changed it over to diamonds. (My crafting shed has 10 more crystalariums producing a smaller trickle of jade to prevent depletion too quickly.)

Current images in this post: http://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/bob-and-her-basic-farm.9897/post-65564
Yeah, they do tend to pile up faster than you can use them.
Same with spicy eel, I only have 50 crystalariums with ruby but have close to 1700 of them which I just sell nowadays.

Also, the laziest way to make a massive amount of money seems to me to be having a massive amount of coops and silos and having them all filled with golden chickens as well as heaters, auto petters, and autograbbers and just leave them be for a while.
Someone on reddit did this with 67 coops and made 90 million in a year which is insane.
The actual best way to make money in a year perspective is to fill your farm with large sheds in turn filled with pinapples which allows you to have 137 crops in a footprint 3*7, or 21.
*edit, more like a 4*7/8 because of accesibility.
Technically. The most profitable method in the entire game is raising **** tons of pigs and get Botanist. easy 300k per day

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Technically. The most profitable method in the entire game is raising **** tons of pigs and get Botanist. easy 300k per day
No, actually, these methods and golden chicken farming make truffle farming even with botanist pale in comparison.
Right now I don't even use this and just kegging ancient friut and make close to 650,000g a day and we are talking mostly about profit per tile which pig farming is definitely not, these are even better when you get rid of the hindrances of winter and rain days and you also have to wait for each pig to create truffles every day while you can skip the days to almost any degree you want with the methods mentioned.
Actually, even if the pigs stayed inside and produce 2 truffles every day of the year and were sold at iridium quality, the pinapple method would still be better per tile and that would barely touch the starfruit in pots.
Also, does your calculation of 300,000g a day come from the DF video from a few years back?

No, actually, these methods and golden chicken farming make truffle farming even with botanist pale in comparison.
Right now I don't even use this and just kegging ancient friut and make close to 650,000g a day and we are talking mostly about profit per tile which pig farming is definitely not, these are even better when you get rid of the hindrances of winter and rain days and you also have to wait for each pig to create truffles every day while you can skip the days to almost any degree you want with the methods mentioned.
Actually, even if the pigs stayed inside and produce 2 truffles every day of the year and were sold at iridium quality, the pinapple method would still be better per tile and that would barely touch the starfruit in pots.
Also, does your calculation of 300,000g a day come from the DF video from a few years back?
I dont think I watched the video you mentioned but it was a year back. If you can igorne the chinese in the video you can watch this
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1664y1i7jH/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.-1
this is last year 27 pig farm 324 pig. gives 821 truffes and 1026250 gold per day. But it is very very tiring.
because benefit form forager so sometime you get 2 truffes from 1 pick. with high luck like eating eel every day would give much more I assume.
Profit is shown at 3:15.

This is gold chicken same amount gives much less to be honest. if assume all golden eggs are iridium quality it is 388800 gold per day.
profit is shown at 1:52 and all iridium egg profit is shown at 1:58.

And even winter doesn't count truffe still makes more money. But it is tiring for sure I wont recommend it anyway.

I dont think I watched the video you mentioned but it was a year back. If you can igorne the chinese in the video you can watch this
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1664y1i7jH/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.-1
this is last year 27 pig farm 324 pig. gives 821 truffes and 1026250 gold per day. But it is very very tiring.
because benefit form forager so sometime you get 2 truffes from 1 pick. with high luck like eating eel every day would give much more I assume.

This is gold chicken same amount gives much less to be honest. if assume all golden eggs are iridium quality it is 388800 gold per day.

And even winter doesn't count truffe still makes more money. But it is tiring for sure I wont recommend it anyway.
1) You assume the eggs are not converted into Mayo. They can be without any increase in space, and more than double the profit per day, if your goal is maximizing that.
2) You can fit a LOT of coops in, thanks to them not needing free space outdoors. Here's 100 on a standard map. Note I would never live on such a farm, but getting 100 coops is not at all impossible.

Combine those two things and your max profit per day is 399x3x12x100 = 1436400 per day. Meanwhile Pigs are at best active 3 of 4 days during the year, and in all likelihood substantially less. You can make it rain after all but you can't stop it from raining. So the Pigs are only making truffles probably around 2 of 3 days, which means the average profit per day is more like 684166. It's quite high, but not as high as Golden Chickens, it's only about half as much. Plus as was mentioned with Golden Chickens you can skip days or weeks without harvesting their products without damaging your profitability, while pigs *must* be harvested every day possible or else the lack of free spaces tanks their monetary production.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

Please also remember that this is calculating per space on your farm, If you were to fill your farm with sheds of pinapple/starfruit or coops of golden chickens like the person in the video fills their farm with pigs, you would still make more money.
The person in the video collects 800 or so truffles, the perk that doubles foraglebles only affects 20% of picked up items so he picked up 640 truffles and luck doesn't influence spawns nor the perk at all.
picking up 640 truffles and the fact that maximum heart pigs produce 2-3 truffles a day (we will use 2.5) would mean he has around 250 pigs which would fill just under 21 barns.
with those calculations of 21 barns for 1,000,000g that would mean that each tile would be producing 1700g a tile, but that is not accounting for the area pigs take to harvest truffles. This is were the math gets a tad more shady as these calclations are base off of educated guesses when I say it looks like for each barn there is 2x that barns space in space for pigs to harvest truffles.
21x28(tiles of barn) = 588 which would mean that all the space would me around 1750 tiles though in the video it looks more like 2500-2800 as the standard farm has around 3550 usable tiles total and the barns take up almost all that space. Still, I will go easy and calculato with only 2x the barns space, this would mean that each used tile would equal 566g made a day which is first of all considerably less and you have to calculate in the loss of an entire quarter of a year during winter which would equal about 425g a day and then there is also rain days which I will not count but also the cost of food which isn't much but adds up. 250x50(g for hay) = 12500 which is 1400000 a year, not too much but you need quite a few silos too.
You are right about this being painful to do but not for the reason you think, the real reason this would be painful is not the harvesting but the waiting fo tthe pigs to produce truffles every day while you can jsut sleep away a year only putting hay in the silos for the golden chickens and you only have to spend one or two days a week filling kegs and harvesting fruit if you choose pinapples.
In comparison, if you filled that much of yoru farm with sheds of pineapple you would have about 72 sheds fit very very easily and be making more than 180,000,000 a year compared to less than 70 million with pigs.
Just wanted to bring up the facts and this took me abot 40 minutes to calculate and write, have a good day.

Last edited:

firecream

Greenhorn
I usually make around 350-400 kegs and 100-250 jars. I like processing things, what can I say.

I definitely prefer preserve jars, but they work so much faster I have to make 2x as many kegs to keep up.

I jar everything other than the fantastic four - wheat, hops, ancient fruit and starfruit.
what should i do with wheat?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
1) You assume the eggs are not converted into Mayo. They can be without any increase in space, and more than double the profit per day, if your goal is maximizing that.
2) You can fit a LOT of coops in, thanks to them not needing free space outdoors. Here's 100 on a standard map. Note I would never live on such a farm, but getting 100 coops is not at all impossible.

Combine those two things and your max profit per day is 399x3x12x100 = 1436400 per day. Meanwhile Pigs are at best active 3 of 4 days during the year, and in all likelihood substantially less. You can make it rain after all but you can't stop it from raining. So the Pigs are only making truffles probably around 2 of 3 days, which means the average profit per day is more like 684166. It's quite high, but not as high as Golden Chickens, it's only about half as much. Plus as was mentioned with Golden Chickens you can skip days or weeks without harvesting their products without damaging your profitability, while pigs *must* be harvested every day possible or else the lack of free spaces tanks their monetary production.
You would actually be making the same amount of g a day but on average less a year.
Actually, on average you would make 1050 ish from the eggs by selling them with the rancher proffesion.