Kegs, Kegs, Kegs.

How many kegs do you make or have made on one file?

• 1 - 50

• 50 - 150

• 150 - 500

• 500 - 1000

• 1000+

• All of the above

• I don't support the kegging industry.

• I'm a preserve jar kinda farmer

• *All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
1) You assume the eggs are not converted into Mayo. They can be without any increase in space, and more than double the profit per day, if your goal is maximizing that.
2) You can fit a LOT of coops in, thanks to them not needing free space outdoors. Here's 100 on a standard map. Note I would never live on such a farm, but getting 100 coops is not at all impossible.

Combine those two things and your max profit per day is 399x3x12x100 = 1436400 per day. Meanwhile Pigs are at best active 3 of 4 days during the year, and in all likelihood substantially less. You can make it rain after all but you can't stop it from raining. So the Pigs are only making truffles probably around 2 of 3 days, which means the average profit per day is more like 684166. It's quite high, but not as high as Golden Chickens, it's only about half as much. Plus as was mentioned with Golden Chickens you can skip days or weeks without harvesting their products without damaging your profitability, while pigs *must* be harvested every day possible or else the lack of free spaces tanks their monetary production.
Your comparison is off. I am talking about per pigs profit. you are comparing 100 coop vs 27 barn that is absurd
if you wanna compare, do full map barn and calculate again for comparison.

https://stardew.info/planner/

50 bar is complete doable and I am just doing it randomly it could fit more in if you use all the space. then its about 2 millions per day
same space pig still wins. btw pig dont need too much space. you just need to keep picking up truffes. as long as an empty tile is unoccupied by truffe there is always a chance to spawn one

and of course I am not counting mayo because I am assuming its all iridium gold egg which is 1200 with skill and it out sells 3 gold quality mayo with artisan.

with forager and botanist every pig has 2.6 truffle per day (this is without luck buff) thus per pig profit is 3250/day assuming 1/3 of the time pig is inactive (which is overestimated)
pig still out put 2170g/day (this is an underestimated.)

assuming golden chicken gives iridium egg every single day with rancher skill (favors for you) max profit is 1200/day (this is absolute max profit for you)
so you need at least about double amount of golden chickens to match pig profit. and we aren't even talking about normal situation. this is bad situation for pig and best situation for golden chicken.

both method is not recommended as I said.
by the point you have golden chicken. money is useless.
pig needs tons of money to start off. and it is absolutely tiring to pick truffes.

Please also remember that this is calculating per space on your farm, If you were to fill your farm with sheds of pinapple/starfruit or coops of golden chickens like the person in the video fills their farm with pigs, you would still make more money.
The person in the video collects 800 or so truffles, the perk that doubles foraglebles only affects 20% of picked up items so he picked up 640 truffles and luck doesn't influence spawns nor the perk at all.
picking up 640 truffles and the fact that maximum heart pigs produce 2-3 truffles a day (we will use 2.5) would mean he has around 250 pigs which would fill just under 21 barns.
with those calculations of 21 barns for 1,000,000g that would mean that each tile would be producing 1700g a tile, but that is not accounting for the area pigs take to harvest truffles. This is were the math gets a tad more shady as these calclations are base off of educated guesses when I say it looks like for each barn there is 2x that barns space in space for pigs to harvest truffles.
21x28(tiles of barn) = 588 which would mean that all the space would me around 1750 tiles though in the video it looks more like 2500-2800 as the standard farm has around 3550 usable tiles total and the barns take up almost all that space. Still, I will go easy and calculato with only 2x the barns space, this would mean that each used tile would equal 566g made a day which is first of all considerably less and you have to calculate in the loss of an entire quarter of a year during winter which would equal about 425g a day and then there is also rain days which I will not count but also the cost of food which isn't much but adds up. 250x50(g for hay) = 12500 which is 1400000 a year, not too much but you need quite a few silos too.
You are right about this being painful to do but not for the reason you think, the real reason this would be painful is not the harvesting but the waiting fo tthe pigs to produce truffles every day while you can jsut sleep away a year only putting hay in the silos for the golden chickens and you only have to spend one or two days a week filling kegs and harvesting fruit if you choose pinapples.
In comparison, if you filled that much of yoru farm with sheds of pineapple you would have about 72 sheds fit very very easily and be making more than 180,000,000 a year compared to less than 70 million with pigs.
Just wanted to bring up the facts and this took me abot 40 minutes to calculate and write, have a good day.
In the video it is 27 barn with 324 pigs. there is a second video same with 27 coop with 324 golden chicken. it only makes 1/3 what pig makes. I dont know for pineapples maybe that makes more money. but I am pretty sure goden chicken cant really out profit pigs even using same space. per pig out put considering weather is slightly over 2000 gold and for chicken is about 1000 so for every barn you need 2 coop to match profit.
but I agree both method is pretty much meaningless. since waiting and picking truffle is time consuming and by the time you get golden chicken you probably have no use with gold.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Your comparison is off. I am talking about per pigs profit. you are comparing 100 coop vs 27 barn that is absurd
if you wanna compare, do full map barn and calculate again for comparison.

https://stardew.info/planner/

50 bar is complete doable and I am just doing it randomly it could fit more in if you use all the space. then its about 2 millions per day
same space pig still wins. btw pig dont need too much space. you just need to keep picking up truffes. as long as an empty tile is unoccupied by truffe there is always a chance to spawn one

and of course I am not counting mayo because I am assuming its all iridium gold egg which is 1200 with skill and it out sells 3 gold quality mayo with artisan.

with forager and botanist every pig has 2.6 truffle per day (this is without luck buff) thus per pig profit is 3250/day assuming 1/3 of the time pig is inactive (which is overestimated)
pig still out put 2170g/day (this is an underestimated.)

assuming golden chicken gives iridium egg every single day with rancher skill (favors for you) max profit is 1200/day (this is absolute max profit for you)
so you need at least about double amount of golden chickens to match pig profit. and we aren't even talking about normal situation. this is bad situation for pig and best situation for golden chicken.

both method is not recommended as I said.
by the point you have golden chicken. money is useless.
pig needs tons of money to start off. and it is absolutely tiring to pick truffes.
You are missing the entire point of calculating money per tile.
Profit overall is not the point, it is scalable profit per tile that can be expanded upon.
We are calculating the absolute maximum you can make, not comparing numbers of two seperate things, what you are doing is comparing apples to oranges, both are better than the other in different situations and under different criteria, namely space and time as well as proftability per tile.

Of course we are comparing 27 barns to 100 coops because you can have 100 coops on your farm while you cannot have more than 30 or so barns and while pigs are more profitable than golden chickens one for one, they are not nearly as profitable per tile on your farm.
Of couse you need two times the amount of golden chickens per pig, but you can fit perhaps three or more times as many chickens in the same space as pigs and they produce all year.

Juat want to repeat what I have stated before, luck does not influence how many truffles you pick up.
Also, saying that pigs only produce 1/3 of days is very reasonable because winter already causes it to be 1/4 and it rains on average of 3-5 times a month which equals out to 28 + (3x4) = 40 40/112 = 5/14 which is actually more than 1/3.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
In the video it is 27 barn with 324 pigs. there is a second video same with 27 coop with 324 golden chicken. it only makes 1/3 what pig makes. I dont know for pineapples maybe that makes more money. but I am pretty sure goden chicken cant really out profit pigs even using same space. per pig out put considering weather is slightly over 2000 gold and for chicken is about 1000 so for every barn you need 2 coop to match profit.
but I agree both method is pretty much meaningless. since waiting and picking truffle is time consuming and by the time you get golden chicken you probably have no use with gold.
The Chickens way outclass the pigs for profit per tile, the pigs with all criteria not including any rain have about 400g a tile per day while chickens are more than 500 even with the eggs not all being iridium and even if pigs are slightly better, nobody wants to spend every day harvesting truffles not to mention waiting for them.
Pineapples turned to wine with artisan is around 810g a day and that is including all the paths you would need to access the sheds.

Also just wanted to mention that the stardew planner link you sent is completely empty and 50 barns is very unlikely if you wanted to do anything. the barns by them selves would take up 1400 tiles leaving basically none for the pigs to lay down truffles, even if the pigs filled up evvery tile available they would only fill up 2.1 truffles a pig which is just losing effieciency with 50 barns. 30 is pushing the limit of productivity vs. loss so maybe 34 is where having more barns equals less money. Not too far off of 27 tbh. So most money would be close to 1.25 million a day 1/3 days of the year making 93 million a year. Not as much as other methods.

Last edited:
The Chickens way outclass the pigs for profit per tile, the pigs with all criteria not including any rain have about 400g a tile per day while chickens are more than 500 even with the eggs not all being iridium and even if pigs are slightly better, nobody wants to spend every day harvesting truffles not to mention waiting for them.
Pineapples turned to wine with artisan is around 810g a day and that is including all the paths you would need to access the sheds.

Also just wanted to mention that the stardew planner link you sent is completely empty and 50 barns is very unlikely if you wanted to do anything. the barns by them selves would take up 1400 tiles leaving basically none for the pigs to lay down truffles, even if the pigs filled up evvery tile available they would only fill up 2.1 truffles a pig which is just losing effieciency with 50 barns. 30 is pushing the limit of productivity vs. loss so maybe 34 is where having more barns equals less money. Not too far off of 27 tbh. So most money would be close to 1.25 million a day 1/3 days of the year making 93 million a year. Not as much as other methods.
ah yea yea yea you are right bro no need to argue this anymore XD

hexnessie

Farmer
what should i do with wheat?
If you have available kegs, wheat can be used to make beer. The profit is quite decent.

But if you already have starfruit / ancient fruit / enough hops to fill up all your kegs, just don't process the wheat, keep it. It might come useful when you want to make flour for cooking (some quest require a lot of cooking).

imnvs

Local Legend
what should i do with wheat?
Wheat, hops, ancient fruit and starfruit get put into a keg to make beer, pale ale or wine as appropriate. These are the 4 most profitable things to put through kegs, but wheat is the least profitable of those 4.

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wheat, hops, ancient fruit and starfruit get put into a keg to make bear, pale ale or wine as appropriate. These are the 4 most profitable things to put through kegs, but wheat is the least profitable of those 4.
Yeah but for cost effectiveness and time it is much better than obvioulsy selling them straight though I can't imagine why anyone would grow them for more than the summer/fall change to preserve tilled soil.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yeah but for cost effectiveness and time it is much better than obvioulsy selling them straight though I can't imagine why anyone would grow them for more than the summer/fall change to preserve tilled soil.
Yeah, that's primarily why I grow it, and then I turn it all into flour for the next time I do the Qi's Cuisine quest.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wow guys, 1000+ views on a post,
And in under ten days! That's insane, thanks for all the positive feedback and I hope that all of you are having/can have a great time today.
Good luck.

cael

Newcomer
I've recently taken to liking "Thou shalt not profit from selling spirits" challenges. But in the savefile where I just tonight reached The End for the first time, I have apparently 1275 all in the open outside on my farm. If "All of the above" were at the very bottom, I might have chosen it.
View attachment 8338
Just so you know kegs don't need to be placed on the farm, I would recommend clearing some space on your quarry.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Just so you know kegs don't need to be placed on the farm, I would recommend clearing some space on your quarry.
I think he knows regarding the rest of the content on this thread, it's mostly about where people keep their kegs and the best spots to do so.