Creator Response Item Trading

BernadetteBagel

Greenhorn
Read through the game rules a few times and one thing I'm a little confused about is item trading. The rulebook mentions that during the planning phase players can trade items and resources. However, the season cards say that trading and selling is allowed when the shipping bin occurs. Are trading resources only limited to the shipping bin rounds or can trading occur during planning phase no matter if the season card has the shipping bin or not?

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
So it is a touch confusing, because there are 2 potential places where "trading" occurs. When the Shipping Bin icon appears during the Season Phase, players can trade their items or sell them. The reason you may wish to do this during this phase is, a particular player might have an ability that lets them sell a certain resource for more gold than another player. In that case, they would be said to be trading it first to said player, who can then sell the item and get that bonus gold.

The Shipping Bin icon is not always available every turn though (though it often is). That is why it mentions that during the following phase (Planning) players can also trade items if they wish. This represents everyone starting their day at the farm, being in close proximity, before heading off to accomplish their separate tasks around the Valley.

Let me know if this makes sense!

RSArya13

Greenhorn
The term trade confuses me with this game. I understand the planning phase and the shipping bin, but to me the word trade means to swap items with another player. But i have played this in the sense that I want to give all my items to another player without receiving anything in return... but this almost feels game breaking. Is this the right way to trade or does it mean to trade one item for another?

It does seem logical to pass all my items to one player so they can go to say the community centre and do it all it one action, but it almost feels cheating, but then if we didn't do that I dont think we'd win the game!