Is marriage mandatory?

Aiden98

Greenhorn
I don’t wanna marry anyone cause it’s tedious to do cause all of the steps sorry if I sound mean but is it ok if I keep them as my girlfriend

astatine210

Rancher
I don’t think it is… even as you are trying to get the “approval” statue from gramps (I forget the name of said statue) marriage and kids do not factor into that. I don’t believe it’s required for the “perfection” statue (if that’s something that interests you) either so don’t feel obligated to partake in tying the knot and sowing those kinds of seeds….

Lew Zealand

Helper
The major thing it is required for is 100% Perfection as one Stardrop is only accessible as a gift from your spouse.

Aside from that, play the game just like you want, you're not required to do much of anything, with the exception that access to a number of things in the game are hidden behind certain achievements, such as:

Recipes from different Friend :heart: levels
Hats from a wide range of different game accomplishments
Machines from different Skill advancements
Weapons and Boots from Mine/Cavern levels

and others...

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Nope, unless you're aiming for one specific goal. I kind of like it myself (having done it once by accident and thrice more on purpose -- in game that is ... ), but if you like being alone on the farm I can see why you wouldn't bother. Like life IRL, It's all about what you prefer to focus on.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Like others have said, not required, and you always can change your mind later.

But I wouldn't say that it's "tedious".
  • The bridge only requires 300 Wood, which you can easily get from clearing Cindersap. You also have the option of buying it from Robin.
  • To upgrade the house you'll need 450 Wood and 10,000G, both of which don't take anything special.
  • You've done the hard part of upping their :heart:s to eight; you just need two more. It also sounds like you've already given the Bouquet, so that's outta the way now.
  • Other than that it's the Mermaid's Pendant (you'll have to wait for a rainy day), which is simply 5,000 more G. Money gets easier and easier to acquire as you continue play, so even if you don't have the cash now, 5 grand will be nothing later on.
So you can 100% still choose no, but I wanted to make sure you are making an informed decision! :)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

• The bridge only requires 300 Wood, which you can easily get from clearing Cindersap. You also have the option of buying it from Robin.
  • To upgrade the house you'll need 450 Wood and 10,000G, both of which don't take anything special.
  • You've done the hard part of upping their :heart:s to eight; you just need two more. It also sounds like you've already given the Bouquet, so that's outta the way now.
  • Other than that it's the Mermaid's Pendant (you'll have to wait for a rainy day), which is simply 5,000 more G. Money gets easier and easier to acquire as you continue play, so even if you don't have the cash now, 5 grand will be nothing later on.
So you can 100% still choose no, but I wanted to make sure you are making an informed decision! :)
You could also make it tedious and instead of doing the bridge you purchase all house upgrades the both community upgrades to get the pendant.
Fun

Aiden98

Greenhorn

Thank you

I personally like marrying, but that's just my opinion. My record without mods is 15th of summer year 1! You play the game however you want, and if you change your mind, you can always do something different. (Except for Joja/Community Center.)