Is anyone else here homeschooled?

Is anyone else here home-schooled?

• Total voters

Tom

Farmer
In my perception, parents who homeschool are generally highly motivated. I have always thought of homeschooling as a very admirable thing. My mom and my wife weren't interested in it. But some of my sisters and their husbands have done it.

I found out in the last 5 years that you can be a leader in your little circle. I went into the college career center in 1984 and came out a civil engineer, and I have been very happy with my choice and my education. But it's true that your local cable, telephone, electric, and gas companies have very good jobs you can train for in 6 months. Anyway, about being a leader, I took the fact that I am a senior civil engineer and used it to create a family of companies that reflect and magnify my values, bless engineers all over the world, and test/demonstrate a new form of business. You don't have to be famous (many people's idol) to be somebody's real hero.

By the way, I love this thread! So honest and meaningful.

That's really cool, I've been homeschooled since kindergarten and never really went to school at all, it really clashed with the type of person I was then and even a bit so now.
I have two brothers who also have never gone to school and we love it tbh.
We do use a DL so we do have curriculum but I like it and enjoy the structure it lets me have and grade 9 is smooth sailing.
I do get quite good grades on mostly everything but am a bit slow about finishing things because of a bit of laziness but a lot of extracurriculars as well.
Idk what I really want to be and do as a job but I do love science (mostly biology) and enjoy debating. I, as you, do have quite a bit of time to decide and work towards what I want and weigh it against some criteria (future relavance, how long I could do it, if it aligns with my moralities, etc., etc.).
My mom homeschools us as well though our father teaches us math as he is good at it and it ties somewhat into the job he currently has.
On another topic though, I strongly dislike how people who don't homeschool or transition in later years into homeschooling has such unfounded biases against or about it.
You are right about people thinking homeschoolers are uneducated,I had a friend who was once asked If she knew how to read/write... in grade 7, she has the nicest handwriting and is one of the most bookish person I know (*cougn, along with myself). I think this comes a lot from the fact that a large portion of homeschoolers are of people who stopped going to brick and mortar school because of issues with themselves or interations with others and moved into a household not well equipped to handle/fully devote the time and effort into homeschooling which seems to be the steriotype most people experience or have mental lenses for in quite a bit of society, this is definitely a common theme in everyday viewing material spanning from books to movies and the such.
Another that grinds my gears is that people think that because a large minority of homeschoolers are introverts or feel overwhelmed by large groups/crowds, that all homeschoolers are this type of anti-social, friendless, hermits who live alone and see daylight only when forced to. This is so untrue, especially for longtime homeschoolers, anyone who wants to reach out has so much oppertunity and options pretty much no matter where you live.
My mother is super social and has organized countless groups/meetups/classes for us and I have friends from so many walks of life, this is something not everyone has but I feel that if you are to even somewhat try to expand your horizons, you will have these interactions/friends/oppertunities too.

Thanks to whoever listened to my probably very opiniated rant, but it's nice to release these things to someone other than a friend or family member.
Also really cool to see just how many people are homeschooling on this small sample size forum and really does go to show how commonplace homeschooling is. I am too a book lover and reader of many books, I love science fiction and historical nonfiction and fiction as well as some ties into magic though I will read just about anything you let me get my greedy hands on.
I could write for hours but have to finish a presentaion on the cultural/societal relavance of a specific historical figure from an even more specific time and place.
Good luck and good day wherever you may be.
Dude, first of all, I have to respect a good opinionated rant. Second of all you have my respect.

I also have a difficult time finishing stuff and procrastinate quite a bit. I have 5 siblings that have never and will never go to public school and we all love it as well. I really have agree with you about the unfounded biases, when they are deep set they are almost completely intolerable. I really hate it, and it seems to be dying down a bit, though it's still super irritating. Another thing I couldn't agree with you more about is that all homeschoolers are introverts. I'm something of an introvert but only when I don't know people. And sometimes I just decide that I'm not going to be and I'm complete extrovert. It's odd :p I LOVE reading so much, you probably wouldn't believe me. I will basically read anything I can get my hands on, (including product labels lol) and I can pretty easily read a 300-500 page in a few hours. If you would like a book recommendation then I cannot recommend Cradle, by Will Wight any more than I do. It is an incredibly good book that I will promote at every possible opportunity. It's just that good. I'm pretty much a fanatic and anyone I can convert to the Cradle fanatic club, I will lol.

Have fun on you presentation!

And thanks for reading my rant of a reply!

In my perception, parents who homeschool are generally highly motivated. I have always thought of homeschooling as a very admirable thing. My mom and my wife weren't interested in it. But some of my sisters and their husbands have done it.

I found out in the last 5 years that you can be a leader in your little circle. I went into the college career center in 1984 and came out a civil engineer, and I have been very happy with my choice and my education. But it's true that your local cable, telephone, electric, and gas companies have very good jobs you can train for in 6 months. Anyway, about being a leader, I took the fact that I am a senior civil engineer and used it to create a family of companies that reflect and magnify my values, bless engineers all over the world, and test/demonstrate a new form of business. You don't have to be famous (many people's idol) to be somebody's real hero.

By the way, I love this thread! So honest and meaningful.
Man, you have my respect. I love this thread too, I originally just wanted to say something because I was new but now I'm really glad I did.

Reactions: Tom

hexnessie

Farmer
Public school and hated it the whole way -- homeschooling wasn't even legal where I'm from when I was a kid (though I think it may legal now).

I was diagnosed with mild ASD (autism spectrum) very late in life and I was just weird enough in grade school to be bullied about it by both students and teachers who thought I was smart but lazy, inattentive and slacking.

Strangely enough, whenever I was learning at home (like computer programming from my father or English from books), I was never lazy or inattentive. Ha. In your eye, fourth grade math teacher!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Dude, first of all, I have to respect a good opinionated rant. Second of all you have my respect.

I also have a difficult time finishing stuff and procrastinate quite a bit. I have 5 siblings that have never and will never go to public school and we all love it as well. I really have agree with you about the unfounded biases, when they are deep set they are almost completely intolerable. I really hate it, and it seems to be dying down a bit, though it's still super irritating. Another thing I couldn't agree with you more about is that all homeschoolers are introverts. I'm something of an introvert but only when I don't know people. And sometimes I just decide that I'm not going to be and I'm complete extrovert. It's odd :p I LOVE reading so much, you probably wouldn't believe me. I will basically read anything I can get my hands on, (including product labels lol) and I can pretty easily read a 300-500 page in a few hours. If you would like a book recommendation then I cannot recommend Cradle, by Will Wight any more than I do. It is an incredibly good book that I will promote at every possible opportunity. It's just that good. I'm pretty much a fanatic and anyone I can convert to the Cradle fanatic club, I will lol.

Have fun on you presentation!

And thanks for reading my rant of a reply!
Oh yeah,
I think I may have read Cradle and can definitely pump out read books by the day.
This also contributes to my liking of really long books and series.
Some authors I would reccomend go along as follows:
Christopher Paolini:
Liked him a lot as a child but his newer book (To Sleep in a Sea of Stars) and series he is planning/making out of it are something to look forward to when they do eventually hit the mainstream market.

Philip Pullman:
Layers upon layers man, his 'His Dark Materials' series is like peeling away at an onion for all the plot twists and reveals you come across, absolutely keeps you on edge and even someone who doesn't like reading would find this hard to put down (secondhand experience).

George R.R. Martin:
His books are just a good read and have good plot and storyline to accompany good world and character building.

Brandon Sanderson:
you have most likely heard of this guy, if you like extensive, extensive world, no, universe-building and insane plot lines that span tens of thousands of pages with many more to come, this is the person for you.
Personally my favorite author by miles, he was the one to finish the wheel of time series after the original author died and each of his books usually span more than 300,000 - 400,000 words each easily with some being more than half a million words.
And the insane thing? Almost all of his series play into eachother over a grand play of hundreds of years and countless technological spans.
He's just outstanding, and he makes the books at a resonable pace too, about a book every 9 months to a year which is insane pace for books of that lenth and diversity as well as backround ties and keeping everything to a standard while also having information match up across series upon series.

I could go on about him and the other countless books I have read but I will let you go on and have a nice day.
Good day and good luck.

Odin

Staff member
George R.R. Martin:
His books are just a good read and have good plot and storyline to accompany good world and character building.
Lots of good author recommendations there! This probably isn't necessary, but I did just want to mention that many of George R.R. Martin's books have adult themes, since a few people in the thread mentioned they're on the younger end.

Brandon Sanderson:
you have most likely heard of this guy, if you like extensive, extensive world, no, universe-building and insane plot lines that span tens of thousands of pages with many more to come, this is the person for you.
Personally my favorite author by miles, he was the one to finish the wheel of time series after the original author died and each of his books usually span more than 300,000 - 400,000 words each easily with some being more than half a million words.
And the insane thing? Almost all of his series play into eachother over a grand play of hundreds of years and countless technological spans.
He's just outstanding, and he makes the books at a resonable pace too, about a book every 9 months to a year which is insane pace for books of that lenth and diversity as well as backround ties and keeping everything to a standard while also having information match up across series upon series.
I couldn't agree more, man. I've read almost all of his books and they are all excellent. Most of the books of his that I've read I read at least two or three times. To anyone else reading this post I also cannot recommend Brandon Sanderson anymore than I do. His world building is insane.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Brandon Sanderson:

I could go on about him and the other countless books I have read but I will let you go on and have a nice day.
Good day and good luck.
Props to Sanderson as I gave up on the Wheel of Time around book 8. I don't think I finished that one as keeping track of 5 different storylines when I only like one or two of them made getting through the other 3 a slog. Reading shouldn't be a slog.

MRight

Planter
I was homeschooled for a few years and think that when you are homeschooled you can progress further because you aren’t worried that people might succeed further than you.

PixiePixel

Farmhand
I was part of a homeschool program in highschool, for better or for worse I honestly can't tell. Since it was a program, I wasn't at home. Prior I was in public school. When middle school rolled around the school was doing very poorly. When my parents forced me to leave, the public school ended up getting Obama funding and greatly improved.

I think private schools are probably the best option, but they are expensive. I also think public school I as better than homeschooling. Growing up is a critical time to learn socialization and coping skills, and it is during public school or a good private school attendence that learning difficulties, neurodivergent, and other things can be identified in kids that may otherwise go unidentified.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I was part of a homeschool program in highschool, for better or for worse I honestly can't tell. Since it was a program, I wasn't at home. Prior I was in public school. When middle school rolled around the school was doing very poorly. When my parents forced me to leave, the public school ended up getting Obama funding and greatly improved.

I think private schools are probably the best option, but they are expensive. I also think public school I as better than homeschooling. Growing up is a critical time to learn socialization and coping skills, and it is during public school or a good private school attendence that learning difficulties, neurodivergent, and other things can be identified in kids that may otherwise go unidentified.
It really depends on your outreaching though, what you and others want and can do for yourself to grant yourself those oppertunities in ways an individiual can handle it, I wrote about it on this same thread ages ago and feel free to read that.
It mostly covered just my own schedule and how my friends and family especially have helped me have an incredibly diverse social life, I have many classes, have dozens if not 100s of at least distant friends and the ability to reach out and interact with them irl or online.
All it depends on is your willingness and honestlly during schooling is where a lot of learning difficulties as well as other problems are shoved under the mat or outright misidentified if found out at all, it can be a pretty bad place sometimes for people to discover themselves in that regard.
Those are just my thoughts though as someone who has extensively homeschooled and worked as well as really gotten to know many people from different educational paths, feel free to take or disregard anything that you read, have a good day.