Switch [HELP] Local Multiplayer is REALLY unreliable

JoshJaySalazar

Greenhorn
My wife and I both love playing Stardew on our Switches, but when we play together, we have to use online in order to have a reliable connection, despite sitting right next to each other! When we try to use local multiplayer, the game often doesn't even show up (no matter who is hosting), and in the rare occasion it does show up, we're only able to maintain the connection for 5 minutes at most before the person not hosting gets dropped. It's very frustrating, because using online introduces a lot of lag, and we'd love to be able to play with a more direct connection. Anyone know how we fix this?

Chililover

Planter
That doesn't help, I'm afraid. Again, it's *local* that we're having trouble with. And that guide focuses on online issues.
Local multiplayer is the same concept. Just a little different (basically sharing data between console using same network) so it should work the same.
The guide said
( "Most consoles provide a way of testing your NAT type. The NAT type describes your console’s ability to communicate with other systems online."
here's instructions to check your nat type https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22462/ .
It also says "You may be able to improve your NAT type by forwarding ports/setting up a DMZ (See below)."
"
If you are connected to the internet behind a router and are having trouble connecting to other people’s games, you may have to modify your router settings so that the router is redirecting Stardew Valley related data to the device running the game.

Doing so will require you to set up port-forwarding or activate the DMZ setting on your router. This process can vary greatly depending on your specific router/modem hardware and your ISP, so consult the documentation for your router/modem/ISP for more information.

(Please be aware that modifying port forwarding/DMZ settings may affect the security of your network.) "
the ports required by stardew for Nintendo is "UDP: 1-65535"
it says it you still have the problem try restarting / power cycling your console.

JoshJaySalazar

Greenhorn
Hang on, you're telling me local mode is still going through my router? That's... Odd, to say the least. Other games don't do that--we've been able to do Mario Kart without a router, for example. Although I suppose that is a much larger budget game, but still...

Chililover

Planter
Hang on, you're telling me local mode is still going through my router? That's... Odd, to say the least. Other games don't do that--we've been able to do Mario Kart without a router, for example. Although I suppose that is a much larger budget game, but still...
I'm not entirely sure about switch now that you say that is your switches connected by a cable of sorts?

JoshJaySalazar

Greenhorn
No... That's not how Switch local multiplayer works. It's a wireless connection, but it's direct between consoles. I have never seen a local multiplayer connection between Switches require a router before.

If you're using your router, then you're playing online, and that's not our issue. We can play online just fine, except that online introduces (expected) lag that makes the caves very annoying to deal with. But we can't play locally, no matter what we do. The connection is very unstable.

JoshJaySalazar

Greenhorn
It's very clear that, whatever the case may be, the local connection is a different method than the online connection, at any rate. Maybe someone who owns the Switch version could shed some light on this.