hee ho give us more pet options

A leash would be nice to take a pet(or dinosaur) on a walk. Different pets give different rewards. Racoon increases the chances of non trash tems to drop from trash cans, dogs increase bone chance from artifact spots, cats cause artifact spots to glow at dusk and night, possums maybe increase the chance of finding a hollowed tree (like a treasure chest but for forge items and fruit)

New pet options would be fun.

I DEFINITELY support being able to change your pet!!! Maybe a thing with Marnie since she gave it to you??? Or a shrine in the woods that causes your pet to disappear into the wilderness as a deer or some such thing... Even just adding it as an option in the shrine in the Wizard's basement or a new shrine in the Witch's hut.

Worblehat

Planter
Why not a cat and a dog? I want both, please.
Agreed.

When I saw this thread I figured it would be a request for more options among cats and dogs. Black cat, calico, tortoiseshell, tuxedo, gray & white, orange & white, siamese, and many more, plus a probably-longer list of dogs.

I'm sure that's one of the most common requests on this forum, though. :cat:

Cthulhu

Sodbuster
I'd suggest we break down new-pet suggestions into a few categories for ease of implementation and discussion:

Traditional Pets of Normalish Size: e.g. dogs, cats... uh... That's about all I can think of.

Traditional Small Pets: e.g. rats, hamsters, turtles, etc. This wouldn't play like the current pet mechanic, but could be easy to implement as "small rodent cage," "terrarium," "bird cage," etc.

Real Not-Typical Pet Animals: e.g. raccoons, cheetahs, crows, pigs, etc. All of these are real animals, and can be kept as pets, but usually aren't. Mechanics would be interesting as heck, but possibly hard to implement. (Crows could help you find places to dig or increase finds of shiny things?)

Fantastic Animals: e.g. unicorns, dragons, pet slime, etc. Dude, I totally want a pet slime. Only unlockable after the slime hutch, I imagine.

Especially for fantastic animals, you would want some kind of mechanic for switching your pet. I don't know if I like the idea of turning your pet into a bird to get rid of it, or having it vanish into the woods or whatever; there needs to be a happy-ending path for changing pets, I think.

birdn4t0r

Cowpoke
I'd suggest we break down new-pet suggestions into a few categories for ease of implementation and discussion:

Traditional Pets of Normalish Size: e.g. dogs, cats... uh... That's about all I can think of.

Traditional Small Pets: e.g. rats, hamsters, turtles, etc. This wouldn't play like the current pet mechanic, but could be easy to implement as "small rodent cage," "terrarium," "bird cage," etc.

Real Not-Typical Pet Animals: e.g. raccoons, cheetahs, crows, pigs, etc. All of these are real animals, and can be kept as pets, but usually aren't. Mechanics would be interesting as heck, but possibly hard to implement. (Crows could help you find places to dig or increase finds of shiny things?)

Fantastic Animals: e.g. unicorns, dragons, pet slime, etc. Dude, I totally want a pet slime. Only unlockable after the slime hutch, I imagine.

Especially for fantastic animals, you would want some kind of mechanic for switching your pet. I don't know if I like the idea of turning your pet into a bird to get rid of it, or having it vanish into the woods or whatever; there needs to be a happy-ending path for changing pets, I think.
Changing pets transforms them into other pets. Same pet, different species.

Also, I feel like Crows/Ravens should absolutely increase the likelihood of finding like, new artifacts, better things from dirt patches, etc. But since current pets have no function and thus nothing that is needed for the benefit, I think you could like, give all pets different functions and drawbacks; for instance, dogs can help with livestock and reduce the likelihood they get attacked in the night, cats can give you little gifts, small pets can take away exhaustion when you pet them, etc. However, if you forget to feed and water them, they won’t give you anything, and there are consequences; cat trashes your house, animals left outside have a higher chance to be attacked for dogs, crow eats your crops, etc. I think that would be fun.

tomaO2

Planter
A new game that got kickstarted, Coral Island, came up with the idea of having two pets. One is a starter pet, and the second could be an exotic pet. Maybe a new building could be added to house the exotic pet, and you could get a bunch more options for it, while still keeping your original dog/cat. I could imagine that the game goes as normal, but after building the pet house, the game is suddenly littered with new potential pets all over the map. When you pick one the rest all disappear. If you release the exotic pet, then the game becomes full of possible pet options to tame again.

boyliker

Sodbuster
Why only a cat and a dog?
How bout a possum or 'coon?
or something cool

also pls for the love of all things holy let us change our pets/turn our pets into doves i cri at the fact that Eden and Haley are stuck with a stupid dog forever
it'd be cool if there were like pet adoption services or somethin' :p

:enraged:
I actually commented on your last thread about wanting to replace your dog with a way that you could replace it, if that didn't work for you sorry about that! Just wanted to lyk in case u didn't see

Fireflydrake

Farmhand
Honestly I'd like to see more interactions added with the base pets before new pets are added. I was disappointed when I maxed friendship with my cat and he never dropped off, idk, random eggs and shinies on my doorstep or displayed any new behaviors.

I do like the idea of small "terrarium" type pets that are just decorative items, though. I have a butterfly garden in my house (and greenhouse!) but I'd love a little frog tank or hamster cage.

Honestly I'd like to see more interactions added with the base pets before new pets are added. I was disappointed when I maxed friendship with my cat and he never dropped off, idk, random eggs and shinies on my doorstep or displayed any new behaviors.

I do like the idea of small "terrarium" type pets that are just decorative items, though. I have a butterfly garden in my house (and greenhouse!) but I'd love a little frog tank or hamster cage.
You can
currently you can get a hamster by marrying abigail, parrot from Emily, and a frog sanctuary from Sebastian during a heart event. They will however only be in the spouses room and leaves with them

Fireflydrake

Farmhand
You can
currently you can get a hamster by marrying abigail, parrot from Emily, and a frog sanctuary from Sebastian during a heart event. They will however only be in the spouses room and leaves with them
Thank you, but I already knew about those. I don't want pets that are spouse dependent.

Fat Link

Cowpoke
Changing pets transforms them into other pets. Same pet, different species.

Also, I feel like Crows/Ravens should absolutely increase the likelihood of finding like, new artifacts, better things from dirt patches, etc. But since current pets have no function and thus nothing that is needed for the benefit, I think you could like, give all pets different functions and drawbacks; for instance, dogs can help with livestock and reduce the likelihood they get attacked in the night, cats can give you little gifts, small pets can take away exhaustion when you pet them, etc. However, if you forget to feed and water them, they won’t give you anything, and there are consequences; cat trashes your house, animals left outside have a higher chance to be attacked for dogs, crow eats your crops, etc. I think that would be fun.
Yeah, you could even make it just another service you can buy from the Wizard after you gather a few materials or make it a free change option from him in his basement via a different shrine or whatever.