Having a problem with motivation need help

Anthonygood

Farmhand
Hello all, hope you're all doing well.

I have a problem with motivation. I have a farm (a good one) with ancient fruit in the green house, and several dozen kegs and jars. I also married leah, and have 1 child. I am upgrading my cows and selling my chickens to get full pigs, and i started making a bee hive plot and i have several iridium sprinklers with lots of crops.

I got everyone except korbus and dwarf to max hearts, and i have a few achievements to do. I also have to unlock the movie theater and pam's super house deluxe as well as get the golden clock.

So my problem is, i am struggling to play that farm file. I feel lack of motivation and energy, like lethargic, or boredom, and i feel like the farm really has nothing more to offer.

I am interested in starting a new farm, but i am more interested to wonder - have any of you all felt or experienced this psychology ? i find this wax and wane of energy to be interesting, i like to look deep inward in my self.

So i have a problem with motivating my self to keep playing that farm file. It feels boring and mostly complete. I am going to start a new farm, but i also feel like that it's hard to do anything with endgame and this could be a problem for concern ape if he tries to make end game grinds to keep people entertained.

Any body have this kind of boredom and is there anything i should do to replace it ? i am going to start a new farm and just refresh my mind and energy, but yea i think stardew valley gets boring after year 2.5 or year 3.

imnvs

Local Legend
When you run out of goals, it is hard to maintain motivation. You're not alone. Two of my three farms are pretty well along.

One is a MP with the wife, and we're year 5. I have all 3 obelisks, the clock, my return scepter, a field of ancient fruit and 2 of each fruit tree in the greenhouse, multiple sheds for processing fruit/veg into artisan goods, etc... but I still have goals, so I haven't lost interest/motivation yet. I have to get Master Angler still. I still have a monster eradication goal to complete. Heck, I still have 5 artifacts to personally find. (She found those for the museum collection but I haven't myself yet.) I'm going completionist.

In my solo things are trickier... see, I want to work for completion, but like, even more so. I want all the 14-heart events. Marrying and divorcing everyone is going to be a pain in the butt, but it's a goal... and I set that goal for myself. That's part of it, I think, setting goals that are a bit more ephemeral, not just hard-coded into the game.

Ereo

Helper
I agree.
I'm not good with playing sandbox games without goals, so each Stardew farm gets boring (and kind of the same, to be honest) somewhere after year two. I'm not really interested in making millions if I can't spend then anywhere, so I restart with a different goal and layout.

imnvs

Local Legend
Personally, I should add, I'm super looking forward to what 1.5 adds for additional things for us to accomplish. If you're having a hard time finding motivation for old saves now, I say do a fresh new farm save... and then, sometime soonish-but-maybe-not-so-but-at-least-not-too-long-from-now you can find new interest when the new content comes along?

Quillmagic

Farmer
I honestly don't get enough time to actually get to an endgame farm, but I would know how you feel. Fortunately the 1.5 update is coming up, and with a new beach/desert farm I might have to start over... (Sorry Sebastian, I know you hate the sun, but--)

Lew Zealand

Helper
I get to the exact same spot in the game that you do and suffer from the same lack of motivation for the same reasons. And I have not found a way around it yet; it could be a consequence of the Lazy Way of Life. I am not overly motivated by end game grinds or being a completionist, which is why my v1.3 save still has Level 100 in the Skull Cavern unfinished. I haven't even gone back to that game long enough to get to Penny's 14 :heart: event.

I think setting specific goals when starting out on a new farm is one way to avoid or at least ameliorate this malaise:

Choose a new Farm layout/map
Choose a Farming goal (Coffee or Strawberries or Fruit Trees or Giant Mushrooms or all Red crops, etc.)
Choose a Combat Goal (Bugs or Skulls or Slimes, etc.)
Choose a Relationship goal (all recipes, all non-marriage candidates, all bachelor(ette)s -- see: Coffee)
Look at the v1.4 feature list and see if you've missed anything

As well as any other goals that people here suggest. Playing through from scratch in a new version (1.5 is coming...) with these goals in mind can help.

And once you reach those goals, play some Minecraft or whatever until you get the SDV bug again. :junicheer: It doesn't take long.

Rhiannon

Farmer
OH wow! There is another thread just like this one only more recent. I thought this was that same thread and was looking back at my reply to it. Then I looked at the dates. This one was from 2020! But the answers are basically the same. Except Lew's comment to check the 1.4 feature list. Now we can check the 1.5 list! And see our percentage of completion which TOTALLY helps me with motivation.

qaija

Sodbuster
Rhiannon said:

"OH wow! There is another thread just like this one only more recent. I thought this was that same thread and was looking back at my reply to it. Then I looked at the dates. This one was from 2020"!

Me too! I started reading from the top and thought "geesshh, this is not what I remember reading. And then I noticed the date!

There have been several posts recently about players losing motivation. I totally agree with Ereo (who's still around after 2 1/2 years so he/she must really like the game). Making loads of money with nothing important to spend it on is definitely not my cup of tea. So I just start over with a new game. I rarely even play a game long enough to get the return sceptor, but I'm always eager to begin a new one because each one seems to be a lot different than the other ones I've already played.

For me to still avidly enjoy playing a game I have been playing for over 6 months is an experience I do not remember having playing any other game. The last one I remember was Blizzard's WoW and I don't think my thrill for that game lasted more than 4 months. They would have updates and I would go back to it, until they began concentrating on multiplayer, which I do not enjoy, and then I quit for good.

I suspect there will be new games coming out within the next few years that reflect the impact Concerned Ape has made upon the gaming environment. There are also new companies working on making computer games (eg Dreamhaven). You younger players have a lot to look forward to! And Haunted Chocolatier will hopefully be coming out within the next few years, which I am eagerly looking forward to!

And now, back to my present game! It's the last day of Fall in year one and my recent bride has moved in, I'm at level 50 in the mines, have my Glow ring, a steel pickaxe, and am eager to descend further and get more good schtufff!

Last edited:

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
rhiannon helped me immensely in playing the game. i went and found her start of the game at slow play #1. by the time i got to 7 i was ready to do a new farm. i am on spring 2 and down at level 85 in the mines. don't have the greenhouse yet but the pig lady hasnt sold me large milk or large goats milk. might have to build a barn. everything is ok except for fishing...

Lew Zealand

Helper
The difference here is this thread was necro'd by an advertising spam. If they start to post something pertinent to Stardew Valley then that's great, but their sole post on the board at this time is online advertising.